Recommend A Motorcycle!

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

harsh59
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

re: Recommend A Motorcycle!

Postby harsh59 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:39 am

I gotta agree with Truedog , the Suzuki V-Strom , or the Kawasaki Versys . Both are dual purpose motorcycles and both come as a 1000 or 650 CC .

Randy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: re: Recommend A Motorcycle!

Postby Randy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:18 pm

Geddy wrote:Well I guess I'm a safe guy and I love my kids and always want to be there for them. Like Randy said above, I also ride with a full face helmet all the time. I have a proper riding jacket (with the CE rated elbows, shoulders and back armor. My riding gloves are a gauntlet style that go over my jacket sleves .....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Geddy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:51 pm

:laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard:
CS624M Ginger
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Marshall 1960A,
Bogner 212C Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's.
Custom Pedalboard

seprowling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby seprowling » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:24 pm

Any KTM enduro model would work.

Naked Ape
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Naked Ape » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:51 pm

NorthBass74 wrote:Someone suggested that it would be smart to go to some dealerships and actually sit on some bikes...that's a good idea, and yeah, one of my primary concerns would be that the bike not be too high (or low) for me.

The same guy suggested that I'd definitely want to look at water-cooled bikes (as opposed to air-cooled I guess?) due to the type of driving I described: lots of being in the lower gears and idling. Yeah, that would be a concern too, the bike overheating and/or causing me to overheat... :|

Just keep in mind, a water-cooled bike is only being cooled efficiently when air is passing through the radiator. I would recommend wiring a toggle switch that manually turns on/off the fan. I hate to say this, but a scooter would be a functional choice, for this application. I say this because they're easy to carry things, get off and on, and the centrifugal clutch. They tend be more suited for stop/go and idling. I know they're NOT cool though. Just practical. I Road Raced for a while, and scooters were great running around the pits, carrying tires, stopping to talk to people, etc. I like running local errands on them too. :)

Naked Ape
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Naked Ape » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:55 pm

These are a couple of bikes, I would NOT recommend!!! :lol: ImageImage
Well, maybe one of them.
I want to apologize in advance, if this is offensive to anybody. If it is, I will remove it. :laughhard:

tbonesullivan
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby tbonesullivan » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:54 pm

I would echo what others have said: mid-size adventure bike. I would stay away from the ones over 1000cc in displacement, as they are a bit over the top, IMHO. Also, ABS. Don't get a bike without ABS.

I have a lot of friends who ride the strom, and love it. Also there are all kinds of factory and aftermarket accessories. BMWs are nice, but their dealer network is NOT, the parts are expensive, and half the time they take months to come in from Germany. The triumphs are nice, but again, not the same level of dealer network.

Honda and Kawasaki have nice mid-size offerings too, the NC700X and Versys 650. Yamaha unfortunately has no mid-size adventure bike.

It's a shame that Harley Dumbison shuttered Buell years ago. They had adventure and sport bikes, and had a real chance at cracking the foreign sport bike dominance, but their new CEO saw them as a "step up" brand to the flag ship big cruisers, and people were happy with the Buells, so they killed it.

As for me, I'm not really a gravel road kinda guy. I like backroads, state highways, and some slab, so I ride this thing:

Guitars: Bolt in Electric Blue, Cobalt 750T
Basses: B4A in classic sunburst , B5 in sunsetburst, XB75 in TPB, PB4 in Blue Burst, LB70F in Pearl blue

truedog
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby truedog » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:43 am

tbonesullivan wrote:It's a shame that Harley Dumbison shuttered Buell years ago. They had adventure and sport bikes, and had a real chance at cracking the foreign sport bike dominance, but their new CEO saw them as a "step up" brand to the flag ship big cruisers, and people were happy with the Buells, so they killed it.

Yeah, Harley really mishandled Buell from day 1. They almost treated the brand as a combination of a skunk-works and redheaded stepchild. I loved my Buell S3T but after having it for 12 years I was ready for a change so I went for the Road King, which is perfect for MY needs.

The old Buell:

My Road King:
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

SC90, Bolt Kit, V220, AC375, Vader 6 "SwampThang", LB75, Nomad Mini Stack, X100B, MB1015

Return to The Backstage Lounge