Guitar Lessons w/ Zaza & The new PEACH CD!!!! \m/

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

X-Mann
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Guitar Lessons w/ Zaza & The new PEACH CD!!!! \m/

Postby X-Mann » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:28 am

Sup my Carvinite-a-kieselfornians? :)

Has anyone ever taken guitar lessons from their favorite player or musician? :think:

I had my 1st one on one (on-line) guitar lesson w/ Neil Zaza & it was truly an amazing moment for me! I learned a lot & had a total blast in the process too!

I already knew that Neil is a great teacher based on his 50-Licks instructional DVD, but I wasn't sure if it would be of any use for me to take one.

I was SO WRONG & I'm glad that I took this lesson w/ Neil. We worked on Vibrato & Bending 1st, then on song writing & melody for a new song. We did so much in a 30-minute lesson & a lot more then I'd be able to say here. Neil also played my song & soloed over it too...& um.....that was just so bad @ss on ALL LEVELS to me!!!!!

I was VERY nervous just because I'd be playing for my favorite player despite knowing how down to Earth & cool that Neil is. He calmed my fears at the very start & said some wicked cool things to me too. He gives you the good w/ the bad as far as what you're doing that works & doesn't.

Note: I warmed-up for 45-minutes while waiting for the Skype beep & call. I wrote 2-quick licks since i knew that there would be a volume test. I was still worried that I'd F up my own lick........but luckily didn't!!!!

I captured all of it on video so that I could go over the lesson & have it for all time like I do w/ everything I do on the guitar.

I've got another one coming-up & I have homework to turn-in as well too. :shock:

Using Skype for the very 1st time was just great & very easy as well.

While these lessons are not for everyone, they really can be of great use if you find the right teacher. If you're already a fan of Neil & you're not aware of this, I totally recommend trying this out & supporting our Carvinite brother!!!

Peace! X-Mann \m/ :ninja:

PS - Neil Zaza's new CD titled "Peach" is being released this October & you can pre-order this now too! I've just heard the entire release & it's some of Zaza's best work. There are some crazy twists & new directions, but there's plenty of signature high energy Zaza material on Peach! Just another FYI..... :wink:

Randy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

re: Guitar Lessons w/ Zaza & The new PEACH CD!!!! \m/

Postby Randy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:09 pm

SWEET!!

Congrats X :applause:

Anytime we find encouragement from the people we look up to is a wonderful thing :)

A good teacher will always give you "homework," whether actual or suggestions for improvement... so I'm curious what homework Neil has given you-- if you'd rather not say, I'll understand ;) For me lately, musical theory has been much more helpful than anything instrument related. Learning and growing musically has been the thing keeping me motivated on my guitar these days :lol:

Of course I've got to ask-- what guitar was Neil playing during your lesson?

Rock on X! \m/ :D \m/

Mufasa
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Mufasa » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:53 pm

It would be cool if you posted the video so we could see it :)

May not be an option though if it's a paid lesson?

X-Mann
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: re: Guitar Lessons w/ Zaza & The new PEACH CD!!!! \m

Postby X-Mann » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:33 am

Randy wrote:SWEET!!

Congrats X :applause:

Anytime we find encouragement from the people we look up to is a wonderful thing :)

A good teacher will always give you "homework," whether actual or suggestions for improvement... so I'm curious what homework Neil has given you-- if you'd rather not say, I'll understand ;) For me lately, musical theory has been much more helpful than anything instrument related. Learning and growing musically has been the thing keeping me motivated on my guitar these days :lol:

Of course I've got to ask-- what guitar was Neil playing during your lesson?

Rock on X! \m/ :D \m/

Hey Randy, my home work assignment was very specific to the song that I'm working on called "Gone". We talked a lot about the progression & melody. While Neil says that all my music is melodic, it doesn't have a very defined vocal type melody.

The assignment was to be the conductor & NOT a guitar player 1st & foremost. I was to write a well defined melody for the chorus section of "Gone" that could be sung back.

The key here is to not let the guitar player take over w/ all the flash & shredtastic licks that pull away from the direct melody.

Oh....& Neil said "Don't Kill The Conductor" to me a lot too!

Neil used his signature Carvin/Kiesel, but I actually can't remember what one. Lol I'll check the video again & get back w/ you man.

I could go all day talking about this lesson & the other things we worked on & talked about. For now I'll just say that it was worth every penny for me & then some.

X

PS - As an aside......While I was very nervous at first, I now have a confidence that I've never felt before (as a player) after being able to play in front of my guitar hero. I found this almost more interesting than anything else too! :think:
Last edited by X-Mann on Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

X-Mann
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: re: Guitar Lessons w/ Zaza & The new PEACH CD!!!! \m

Postby X-Mann » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:37 am

Mufasa wrote:It would be cool if you posted the video so we could see it :)

May not be an option though if it's a paid lesson?

I edited down the video from 37-minutes to 9-minutes, but can't publicly share it per Neil's request. He said it's a private moment between Teacher & Student....& I totally respect that!

If you're truly interested in taking some lessons from Neil, pm me your e-mail address & I'll send you a private link to my edited down lesson w/ Z so you can see how great he is as a teacher.

X
Last edited by X-Mann on Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:17 am

That's just cooler than cool, X! Thanks for sharing that.

With the advent of technology now and Skype I just might try tracking down a world class bassist who said he'd give me a free lesson for helping him out back in the '90's (long story).

Return to The Backstage Lounge