Can Anyone Recommend A Good Automotive Website?

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

NorthBass74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Automotive Website?

Postby NorthBass74 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:25 am

So, I'm considering buying a new vehicle in 2016. And by new I mean quite likely BRAND NEW (for the first time in my life), or at the very least, way newer used than I have traditionally bought in the past.

I'm wondering what there is out there for automotive websites where a guy can get good advice with regards to, well, pretty much all things automotive. What I am mainly looking for is a forum that is largely populated by professional mechanics - and maybe, to be a bit more specific, independent mechanics, whom I would like to think would be a bit more non-biased in their opinions as to which companies are producing quality vehicles. Mind you, maybe even dealership mechanics are not necessarily beholden to the brand that they service when they have the anonymity of the Net on their side...

Oh, and if anyone on here owns, or has owned, a Nissan Xterra - specifically the Pro-4X version - I'd love to hear from you RE: your experiences with it. I have been leaning heavily towards buying one of these for awhile now.

Thanks!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

re: Can Anyone Recommend A Good Automotive Website?

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:41 am

My advice: narrow down your focus to the models you are interested in, then find the largest model-specific public forums for those models.

While you'll certainly get fanboys like anywhere else, the vast majority of owners and frequent contributors to those forums are people with some integrity and aren't in denial about how perfect their cars are, or how other cars could be better at other things. They will know about recalls, the software versions, they will have posted about brand-new rust issues, and any mechanical problems they have had, etc.

At least, that's been my experience with my new Mazda 3, and my girlfriend's VW Golf EV, and my Mercury Cougar before them.

Altered_Ego
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: Can Anyone Recommend A Good Automotive Website?

Postby Altered_Ego » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:08 pm

Don't forget to check Consumer Reports. You have to pay to see their reviews, but they are worth their money, as they don't get products picked by the company and sent to them. They get their products that are tested anonymously. So, theoretically the have the same chance as anyone else at getting a lemon. Plus, in the annual auto issue, they give advice about track records with companies and models.
Got it: Cobalt 750TS
Got it: Bolt
Got it: SC90
Got it: Ultra-V
Need it: FG1
Got it: Nomad
Got it: Vintage 16
Need it: AG200D

Return to The Backstage Lounge