What are you listening to right now?

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:28 am

Lately I've backed up a few albums and have been listening to the first album by the second Miles Davis quintet: ESP.

Gosh, what an album.

This and little else for about 2 months.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10
Oven: SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware

Les Knopflerongo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Les Knopflerongo » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:48 pm

I've been listening to a LOT of Rush recently, as well as The Police. Two of the best three piece bands ever, hands down! 8)
My Band: http://www.facebook.com/therainydaysduo - Acoustic Pop, Folk, and Jazz Covers

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:30 pm

So. Much. Morphine. (and Twinemen and Mark Sandman...basically anything tangentially related to Morphine).

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:58 am

Spud . . . is it time for your father to have "the drugs" talk with you son? Again . . . :naughty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqqrOtkK7AU

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:28 am

canon_mutant wrote:Spud . . . is it time for your father to have "the drugs" talk with you son? Again . . . :naughty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqqrOtkK7AU

Ha...something like that.

https://youtu.be/yNEYKrFJgRo

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:42 am

Les Knopflerongo wrote:I've been listening to a LOT of Rush recently, as well as The Police. Two of the best three piece bands ever, hands down! 8)

I agree! I have been a devotee of /2ush since 1981, when Moving Pictures came out. I heard it on vinyl in my friend's dad's listening room/den and my world changed. I saw them 17 times over the years. Alex Lifeson is the reason I picked up guitar and Fly By Night was the first song I learned. I love The Police too.

Les Knopflerongo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Les Knopflerongo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:38 am

colossal wrote:
Les Knopflerongo wrote:I've been listening to a LOT of Rush recently, as well as The Police. Two of the best three piece bands ever, hands down! 8)

I agree! I have been a devotee of /2ush since 1981, when Moving Pictures came out. I heard it on vinyl in my friend's dad's listening room/den and my world changed. I saw them 17 times over the years. Alex Lifeson is the reason I picked up guitar and Fly By Night was the first song I learned. I love The Police too.

Awesome! A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres are my go-to Rush albums. So much awesome stuff on those!
I really admire Rush and the Police a lot because they were able to create music that has meaning on so many different levels, whether you just want to rock out to a fun song, or be challenged as an artist. :applause:
My Band: http://www.facebook.com/therainydaysduo - Acoustic Pop, Folk, and Jazz Covers

ElfDude
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby ElfDude » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:25 am

Les Knopflerongo wrote:
colossal wrote:

Awesome! A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres are my go-to Rush albums. So much awesome stuff on those!
I really admire Rush and the Police a lot because they were able to create music that has meaning on so many different levels, whether you just want to rock out to a fun song, or be challenged as an artist. :applause:

Awwwww YEAH!
And I read yesterday that Geddy Lee will be playing bass with YES at their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction next month. Too cool!

But at the moment, I'm listening to Am I Awake by They Might Be Giants.
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on FaceBook
My YouTube Channel

Les Knopflerongo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Les Knopflerongo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:46 pm

ElfDude wrote:And I read yesterday that Geddy Lee will be playing bass with YES at their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction next month. Too cool!

No way! That's awesome! If anyone can fill Chris Squire's shoes, it's Geddy. Hope I get to see a video of that!

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:12 am

Les Knopflerongo wrote:
ElfDude wrote:And I read yesterday that Geddy Lee will be playing bass with YES at their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction next month. Too cool!

No way! That's awesome! If anyone can fill Chris Squire's shoes, it's Geddy. Hope I get to see a video of that!

Well, he's got an itchin' to prog, so he wants to play live again. Hopefully the induction speech isn't droll.

:wink:
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10
Oven: SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware

Jbird
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jbird » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:28 am

Rush & King's X...

:wink:

(I do like The Police, though)

I've been listening to last years Vektor - Terminal Redux, quite a bit lately. I'm a classic rock/classic metal/prog/prog metal kind of guy, and this Vektor is some pretty extreme thrash/death metal, with those high-pitched black metal type screams for vocals. Not normally my cup of tea, but the guitar work on it is fantastic, and the singer plays alot of those parts, as he's playing. I don't know how people can do that.

Here's a random youtube guitarist doing a Vektor cover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvZZJwtFsP4

Jbird
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jbird » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:58 am

I've been listening to Amorphis alot the last couple of weeks, and I'm going to see them tomorrow (24 March) in concert :)

They are probably up there among bands I like most that I HAVEN'T seen in concert yet, so I'm rectifying that situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rs-or7As0k

All of their albums since the 'new' singer came on board back in 2004 are about figures in Finnish mythology, based off the Kalevala, a work of epic poetry from the 19th century compiled from Finnish and Karelian oral folklore and mythology.

So if you just read the lyrics to one Amorphis song, it might not make sense and will read a bit oddly. But if you find out who and what story the song is about and read that part of the Kalevala, it makes sense.

southdakota
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby southdakota » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:31 am

Ghost.....If you haven't listened to them, I get it. The whole gimmick can be a turnoff if you arent in to that. But, I grew up idolizing Kiss so I have no problem with a gimmick. But the music....I just can't stop listening. Amazing songwriters. Lots of layers, great melody. Especially Meliora but the Popestar EP is amazing in its own mellow way. The closing track, Bible, is epic. I could listen over and over. And I will be seeing them open for one of my favorite bands of all time, Iron Maiden, in June!!

And I second the above post with Voivod....Nothingface was so far ahead of its time. Still listen to it frequently!
www.soundcloud.com/natebauer
www.facebook.com/retroactive.rock.roll
www.retroactivelive.com

------------------------------------------
Carvin GEAR:
x100B Series IV, Belaire, 80's DN612, EM900, TRx153n x 4, DCM3000L x 2, CS3, SC90

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:40 am

Someone else's music at work that I'm not familiar with, and just asked: apparently it's Nora Jones. *shrug*
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

bcrich1975
Links/Contact:

Postby bcrich1975 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:32 am

The Defiant's new album - big fan of Rob Marcello's playing
On an Yngwie kick, along with Tony MacAlpine's Maximum Security album and Time Odyssey by Vinnie Moore
Michael Sweet's new album One sided War is also in the playlist lately.
Kiesel Vader V6
B.C. Rich Gunslinger
Ibanez RG652fx
ESP MII
Kramer Sustainer

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:54 am

John Lee Hooker. Always good. :ninja:
SH645
V440T
Purple Bolt!
DC127 Koa
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:42 pm

You know, I've been listening to Pat Benatar a bit more lately. Wasn't initially much a a Neil fan mainly because most of their "hits" I learned so quickly [and I $uck] so they can't be that good, right? Well, there are a few of the lesser known songs like
the title track of Precious Time that are quite good and have some more respectable guitar in them . . . in my [completely insignificant] opinion of course. Hang around for the guitar 2:38 on . . . 3:35 on actually requires some practice . . .

And always did dig her "perfect" rocker voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptOOwqjvtbM

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:28 pm

I was just listening to the 'Bark Like a Dog' album by Screeching Weasel.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:47 pm

I Mother Earth's Scenery and Fish.

ElfDude
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby ElfDude » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:53 pm

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing How Firm a Foundation
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100

Midlife Crisis on FaceBook

My YouTube Channel

Return to The Backstage Lounge