IMPORTANT > Migrating the BBS to phpBB3

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Kevio
Forum Admin & Kiesel Guitars Webmaster
Links/Contact:

IMPORTANT > Migrating the BBS to phpBB3

Postby Kevio » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:05 pm

I'm in the process of laying the foundation to migrate this BBS to phpBB3. It's currently running on phpBB2, which is really, really obsolete. I've been dragging my feet on this until 3 was in later revisions, so most of the bugs of the initial 3 releases would be shaken out - and now, it's time.

The biggest reason for finally making the switch is ongoing spam attacks that have been happening. Despite all the anti-spam features I've added over the years, in the past 6 weeks or so, we've been getting hundreds of spam registrations a day. They aren't posting, because I look at each new registration and compare them to know spammer databases, and if it's a spammer, I simply don't activate them; still, it's getting annoying - my phone/email goes off all night long with new spammers, and I have to clean them up every morning. Allegedly, 3 has much stronger anti-spam tech, including reCAPTCHA, versus the standard text-based CAPTCHA currently in use. 3 also has better overall security features, although generally, no one hacks BBSs anymore, because there's no real purpose behind it.

I'm not sure what features will be added, and what may go away. I know the Picture Uploader, as it currently exists, will be no more, but 3 has it's own, built-in file uploader. I don't think the current pictures that have been uploaded will be affected; we'll see. I would imagine avatars, ranks, post totals and so on will be unaffected. Not sure about the other things I've added.

Of course, going to 3 is dependent on being able to migrate this data - if the data cannot be migrated, then the BBS will not be updated - I have no intention of losing everything here. According to the nerds, the migration is pretty easy, and generally works exactly as it should.

So, I'm creating a sandbox now to stand up the new version - once I get it customized to look as much like this one as possible (the menu, the footer, the general look and feel), then I'll attempt to migrate the data, and if that works, go live. Because of the nature of how a BBS works, there will be no beta - I'll just flip a virtual switch when everything appears to be correct. Hopefully, you'll almost certainly notice minor cosmetic/functionality differences, but no earth-shattering changes on the front-end. Fingers crossed.

My target will be to flip that virtual switch on Thanksgiving Day, when traffic will be pretty low. All depends on what happens between now and then. I will keep everyone posted - watch this space. There will be at least some downtime when the switch is flipped (why I'm shooting for a low-traffic time).

I will most likely shut down the Museum forums at the end of this. Now that we have an off-topic area here, the Museum forums are somewhat redundant, and they, too, are under attack from spammers; so, it's not just the hundreds of spammers a day here; it's over there, as well. Social media has also had an impact. Regardless, still thinking about that one. And on the subject of the OTL, thanks to everyone for keeping it civil, clean and fun - especially this year. I'm glad it's worked out.

Once the dust settles from all of this, we can talk about new feature requests - probably the first thing I'll do is implement a mobile template that's more phone-friendly. From there, I'll just have to see what else needs to be done. It's a major evolution, and I expect it to be an ongoing project - but with any luck, getting 3 running and getting the data moved will go smoothly.

I'll keep everyone posted in this thread.
The gear:
DC6, HH2X, V440, CT6T, V220C, IC4, IC5P, BB70P, XB75, AC40, LB70K, LB70, LB70, LB70F, XB76WPF, SB40, MB1, DN640K, DN440T, AC375

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: IMPORTANT > Migrating the BBS to phpBB3

Postby skully13a » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:13 pm

Thanks for your efforts, Kevio. Good luck.
SH645
V440T
Purple Bolt!
DC127 Koa
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

Randy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Randy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:46 pm

Most of the technical stuff you mentioned is WAY over my head, but I am thankful we have you looking out for us with the spammers & upgrades :applause:

Never thought that there would be so many spam-attacks on a little 'ol guitar-oriented BBS... :roll:

Hopefully you won't have lose too much time on Turkey-Day making the move. There will be a few hours that day-- during the Cowboy's game-- where our family will go out for a long walk and be away from the forum :mrgreen:

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:20 pm

Classic professionalism from our beloved Kevio. We, the hard-cores, love this company and appreciate your work very much.

Thank you.

For real.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10
Oven: SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:16 pm

Thanks for the update, Kev! Looking forward to the upgrade.
Sad to hear about the Museum forums, sign of the times I guess :?
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:36 pm

I hope the Museum website sticks around. It would be a shame if all that info disappeared.

Also, what about the boards for sale/to buy? Those are about the only ones over at the Museum I think would be missed if they went away.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:26 pm

I look forward to more mobile compatibility! Thanks for all you do Kevio. :D :applause:
CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

Kevio
Links/Contact:

Postby Kevio » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:03 pm

Thanks for the support.

The good news is, I was able to successfully convert all the data here to phpBB3 - that's a really big deal, because I just didn't know if it would work. When it's time to flip the big switch, I'll convert it again, so that nothing is lost. But now that I know that it works - and how to do it - I'm very encouraged.

So, all I have to do now is get the look and feel to where it looks something like what's here now, which will probably be the easier part of the process compared to al the hoops I had to jump through to convert the data. I'm farther along than I intended to be; I may actually have it ready to go by the weekend.

As far as the Museum forums go, I haven't made a firm decision. I do know that there will never be a FS/WTB here (because it would essentially be competing with the House) - but nonetheless, I'll kick around some solutions when I get to that point. If nothing else, I may just disable new registrations over there, but keep the data read-only. I'll think about that when the time comes.

Now, 2 hours of sleep, then back at it. :mrgreen:
The gear:
DC6, HH2X, V440, CT6T, V220C, IC4, IC5P, BB70P, XB75, AC40, LB70K, LB70, LB70, LB70F, XB76WPF, SB40, MB1, DN640K, DN440T, AC375

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:10 pm

I understand the no sale/buy forum because of rule B. It's good that nothing will be lost. Sometimes the nerd in me wishes he could maintain a website like you're doing. The one for my workplace wasn't designed by me so I have no idea what I would do if something messed up. :mrgreen:
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:55 am

I hope the Museum stays around. It has some good stuff like the catalogs, guitar ID guide, for sale (as mentioned), some great Carvin amp tech info there. I know the traffic is slow tho. I tend to post my NGDs there and post most of my review/info over there (I think I liked the darker background better). Guess I'll have to switch to NGDs here if it happens.

Good luck in any case, and thanks for the heads up and handling all of this migration and upgrade.
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: re: IMPORTANT > Migrating the BBS to phpBB3

Postby Casual Madman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:51 am

wickid wrote:
I hope the Museum stays around. It has some good stuff like the catalogs, guitar ID guide, for sale (as mentioned), some great Carvin amp tech info there.

Maybe the "best of" from the Museum could merge into the new Kiesel BBS? Just a thought. :think:

ElfDude
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby ElfDude » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:43 am

You're awesome, Mr. Kev!
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on FaceBook
My YouTube Channel

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:48 am

Can't wait to see some of the functional upgrades. :) THANK YOU for the sandbox, btw. My last employer launched a whole new OS for eeeeverything...but never sandboxed it, so when it launched...we were utterly stopped dead, unable to place orders for almost 3 weeks. :lol:

ferret
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby ferret » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:24 pm

Allll ways sandbox lol. I've repeatedly upgraded and migrated phpBB and vBB in the past. I always kept a fully separate copy and database to test every patch and upgrade before applying to the main site.

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: re: IMPORTANT > Migrating the BBS to phpBB3

Postby Coda » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:47 pm

Kevio wrote:Now, 2 hours of sleep, then back at it. :mrgreen:

CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

Return to The Backstage Lounge