You just never know what an ebay transaction can lead to!!

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Tim-H.

You just never know what an ebay transaction can lead to!!

Postby Tim-H. » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:02 am

This really happened and it happened the way I am sharing it here for you guys to read. Ok so I have been selling on ebay for years. I am a guitar player and I sell guitar related items sometimes. Long story short, I sold a dunlop univibe pedal on ebay. Anyways, this guy out in Los Angeles wins the auction. A few days go by and he has not paid. I send him a payment reminder. He emails me back with his number and tells me his credit card was hacked. I decide to call him and chat just because he plays guitar. We are talking and he says he has a new card on the way and he could pay when he receives it. I say, no problem. We get to talking a bit and he says he knows all of the famous guitar players. Like Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Steve Vai, Frank Zappa and the list kept on growing. I am thinking to myself, ok, Yeah right, this guy is full of it. Well Jimi Hendrix has always been my favorite guitar player. He asked me if I was a Hendrix fan. I said all of my life. He said he was friends with Billy Cox who was Jimi Hendrix's bass player. Now off of the record Billy Cox was the only guy I had ever wanted to meet because he is the only living survivor of the Jimi Hendrix Experience and The Band of Gypsies but I never thought I would ever have the chance to meet him. Well, he says, let me get back with you, I am gonna call Billy. I am thinking again to myself, yeah right, I will probably never hear from this guy again. Well about 3 hours go by and my phone rings. It was the guy out in Los Angeles again. He asked me to grab a pen and tells me to write down these numbers. I wrote them down and said what is this because they were local Nashville area numbers. He said Billy Cox wants you to call him and he is gonna pay you the money for the pedal and send it to me. He also said since it was almost 8 p.m. that I had to hurry up and call because Billy goes to bed early. So I got off of the phone and I said to my wife, What the heck, if this is real, what am I gonna say to someone who I have listened to for over 30 years and have tried to play and practice their music? So what the heck, I say to myself, it is probably all b.s. anyways, and I call just to see. Well it was Billy Cox!! The only rock and roll artist still alive that I wanted to meet!! He was real nice over the phone and we met the following day at a local diner. I got to visit him for about an hour and a half in person without any distractions. It was so cool to talk to him and he told me some stuff that you do not hear out about Jimi and him during their time together. He signed my guitar strap, I got a few pics with him, he autographed some large pics of him and the band with Jimi and the drummer and I also got his solo CD. He paid for his friends winning ebay auction from me as well. Anyways....you just never know who you will run across in life but I never knew selling an item on ebay would lead to meeting someone I had always wanted to meet and say thanks for all of the cool guitar jams I have listened to just about my whole life!!
Tim

Tim-H.

Re: You just never know what an ebay transaction can lead to!!

Postby Tim-H. » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:05 am

the pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim

Praiser
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Praiser » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:45 am

Really cool story!
Extra nice that he was so willing to take the time to sit and eat and talk with you like that.
Major congrats!
John

LB75AP, LB70P, X54F, BK50, BK50F, BK40, C780
PB100, PB200 (With BX500 head and 1x15 ext Cab)
XP1000L, LM153s, LS1801A
Rogue Fretless, Ibanez ABG, Dobro Bass
Peavey Fury P Bass

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:27 am

That is flippin' awesome!!! :applause:

So this is the bass player that Chris Squire was talking about in this story?

Chris Squire talks about meeting Jimi Hendrix
Aries A6H, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Tim-H.

Postby Tim-H. » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:35 am

No Chris was talking about Noel Redding who was Jimis first bass player who was in the Hendrix Experience. Billy Cox was the one who played bass after Noel left. Billy was with Jimi in the Band of Gypsies that played in the famous Machine Gun song footage and played Woodstock and was with him until he lost his life.
Tim

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:17 pm

That is super awesome! Yep, you never know when or where you are going to run into one of these guys....

My story is definitely not as cool as yours, but here goes...

My company was hiring a new CTO and I was reviewing resumes. I get one from Andy West. I sorta chuckle and say, Heh, his name is Andy West. At least he shares a name with a great bassist. I read the resume, and get to the bottom, with personal accomplishments and interests. "Grammy nominated musician" it says. Holy $h!t! It is THE Andy West...the man who spent many years of his life touring with one of my favorite guitarists of all time, Steve Morse, and the rest of the crack team that is the Dixie Dregs! I was more than a little shocked....

Well, we hired him. For a few years he was my boss....and I got to jam with him a few times. Pretty freakin' sweet. Oh yeah - he also got me in to meet Dream Theater several times, and a hand full of other guys in restricted access areas.
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:57 pm

What a great story!

Yes Billy was Jimis long time friend from back in his paratrooper days. They did little gigs while in the service. Long story short when Noel was getting a case of the What About Me's (he was a guitar player hired to play bass because Jimi liked his look/hair) and jumped the Experience, Jimi (who already had used Billy on the Band of Gypsies contractual obligation fulfillment to CBS because he couldn't use the experience to do it) reached out to his old friend Billy to step in.

The Gypsies was a much earthier groove for Jimi. And Billy was much more of a bassists bassist when he stepped in w Jimi & Mitch.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Tim-H.

Postby Tim-H. » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:23 pm

Hey that is awesome too!! What do you mean not as cool as mine?? You got to jam with Andy! How awesome that must have been! Thanks for sharing.

GuitFiddle wrote:That is super awesome! Yep, you never know when or where you are going to run into one of these guys....

My story is definitely not as cool as yours, but here goes...

My company was hiring a new CTO and I was reviewing resumes. I get one from Andy West. I sorta chuckle and say, Heh, his name is Andy West. At least he shares a name with a great bassist. I read the resume, and get to the bottom, with personal accomplishments and interests. "Grammy nominated musician" it says. Holy $h!t! It is THE Andy West...the man who spent many years of his life touring with one of my favorite guitarists of all time, Steve Morse, and the rest of the crack team that is the Dixie Dregs! I was more than a little shocked....

Well, we hired him. For a few years he was my boss....and I got to jam with him a few times. Pretty freakin' sweet. Oh yeah - he also got me in to meet Dream Theater several times, and a hand full of other guys in restricted access areas.
Tim

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:36 pm

Wow that is a really awesome story, so happy you got to meet one of your heroes.
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

RockCrue

Postby RockCrue » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:21 pm

What an awersome story, congrats!!! :D

Return to The Backstage Lounge