Win8.1 machine creepy crawly.

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Win8.1 machine creepy crawly.

Postby wickid » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:00 am

This is a cross post (vent) from the Carvin Museum. Including here for more eyes, in case theres any insight, and since summ yaz do your own PC builds and all, the techys that you are. :wink:

Yeah, so this is as much a vent as it is to see if anyone has had this experience and has a solution. I suspect (and hope) it is a PSU problem - easy enough to fix. :(

Recently my 2014 (fairly new-ish IMO) Win8.1 HP Pavilion has been running at a crawling pace. Just prior to this I saw an error about the D drive recycle bin (D drive is the recovery partition). I searched and saw a solution to recovering from this - an admin command prompt to remove the $Recycle.bin on that drive. That didn't help (so far).
I attempted to start a System File Checker (from an admin cmd window, per instructions), but after an overnight run, the verification phase was only at 1%, so killed that idea.

While FF and IE are miserable, basic Windows stuff isn't too quick either - even the calculator (start up is real slow, execution sometimes lags). FF keeps getting non-responsive script errors, possibly just due to run time / delays. I think Adobe Flashplayer attempted to make an update around the recycle bin issue as well. I tried reinstalling that. Got both some sort of error from the installer for that, but a "Thanks for using FP, you're at the latest level" kind of msg. Still slow. Also, my Sirius satellite alarm clock works off of my router and internet access. That seems to be running fine.
I just re-upped my FIOS subscriptiuon, which is supposed to go from 15 MB (or GB?) to 50, but I haven't noticed it being faster. Using their test pgm showed it clocke din closer to the high 30s range. But again, my satellite internet alarm is working as before - no real issues there.
Once started many of the pgms (except FF and IE) seem to run OK, maybe some lag.

I don't know if this OneDrive (MicroScoff cloud pgm) was a new MS update, I'm not sure I noticed it before, but it appears new to me, and curious if it didn't install completely / properly. trying to access it is slow (but so are other things). Searching the web didn't pop up OneDrive issues in the public domain, so who knows.

From Task Mgr, I see a bunch of pgms running 32 bit mode, but not sure that was normally the case before (ex FF is running 32 bit). I have a 64 bit machine. I do run Lotus 123 which I think is so old it is 32 bit, but FF should be 64 I would expect?? I don't know if a faulty PSU forces things to 32 bit mode.
This makes me think it may be a memory issue ... hopefully also a quick / easy fix??

I looked thru this forum and saw I had a PSU go down back in 2008 or so in another machine (more than once I think), so this is not my 1st trip down this road. This experience is a bit different.
Plus 2 or 3 yrs on 1 PSU ... seems kinda quick of a blowout? This is also a 24 pin PSU, so I don't know if that's older or newer tech than the 20 pins I mostly see on newegg?

I've delayed long enough and scoured and tried just about everything I can think of. Next step is to just get a new PSU and be done with it (I hope - at least give that a try).
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

kennym9898
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Win8.1 machine creepy crawly.

Postby kennym9898 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:56 pm

Did there happen to be a Java update it did recently. My computer in at work did one over the weekend and it ran very slow. Turns out the Java program update was faulty, this was on a computer running Windows 7 Professional. When I opened Task Manager it had the Java program open over 100 times using up almost all the available memory. I uninstalled the latest Java version update 111 and it went back to normal.
Carvin SH550B, SCB6, AC375, DC700, Gibson Les Paul, Ibanez, Fender Strat, Jackson Soloist, Washburn,
Carvin V3MC, Marshall DSL40c, Fender Deluxe Reverb, Line6

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:16 pm

I'll need to read this more carefully later, but one thought that's quick and easy to check: My computer was doing all sorts of wonky things when I had two memory SLOTS go bad. Not the dimms, but the slots on the motherboard. I thought I was running 6gb, but I was actually only running 2GB...which is kinda miserable for any Windows beyond 95. The memory was causing all sorts of errors and system issues.

twilightdusk
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby twilightdusk » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:12 pm

I'm thinking the HDD might be failing...

On a different machine (hopefully with a CD burner) get Hiren's Boot CD from their official page and be sure to burn the ISO to CD so it can be use as bootable media. Bring that CD to the 8.1 machine and boot from it. There will be several disc utility programs to use (I like parted magic), so have it load one of those that will pull info on the drive that SMART reports; it may also take a bit to boot as it must communicate with all drives plugged in. If the drive is failing usually there will be a flag on bad sectors and/or pending sector(s) count.

A drive like that will slow the system down as the motherboard has to waste resources to continually attempt to communicate with the drive which is too busy trying to figure out how to reallocate bad sectors on space it no longer has...

Good luck!
2001 dc127C
2005 bolt kit
2010 dc727
2011 BK50
2016 X54
v3m + 112V GT12
X100B series IV

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:40 am

If it's the hard drive now is a good time to upgrade to a SSD for the main drive, with a normal hard drive for storage if you need it.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:16 am

Thanks guys. More to ponder. I'd hate to loose that hard drive. Would be tough to recover from that. :(
I'll check for java updates, but I think I looked into recent Windows updates (for anything OneDrive related), and don't recall anything. had the Task Mgr open, saw a few - what looked like Windows system services running, besides a couple of pgms I opened, but not any where near 100. I'll look again for java.
I may just try out a new PSU from newegg. I may be able to return it if its not the issue. Would be nice if its a quick fix. But its not starting and shutting down or anything. The rotation of background pix is working ok, seemingly.
Hmm, maybe its power to the HD that's going?? (PSU fix? wishful thinking?) :think:

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:09 am

Update - (copied from the museum)

And yust like that ... it came back to life yesterday. :?

So I booted my machine last night and it took its time starting up as its been doing lately. So I left it for a while. Then checked in on it, expecting either the screen saver or monitor shut down. But it was alive with my Kapersky AV having a panel displayed indicating a new version or update was installed, and a reboot was required.
So, naturally I rebooted, and it took its time. Again some time later I check in on it. After the reboot it was looking a lot better. FF kept asking for certificates, and the Verizon logon was looking wonky. So I shut down and restarted. Its screaming along like normal now. I hope it stays that way.

So it must've been in some sort of "safe" mode while this update was going on. But for like 18 days??? (Since 1/12). Or something else was hosed and was "automatically" corrected?

We'll see how long this lasts.

I have a new PSU en route, already paid for, so may as well keep it for the inevitable circumstance.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:49 am

Strange...it's possible it might have been a driver or an updated utility that had a flaw and got patched 18 days later? :think:

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:36 pm

Glad things are humming along again. As a computer guy, I want to mention that programs don't go '32 bit mode' because something went wrong with the computer. Each application is either 32 or 64 bit. You might have both versions of some things installed, but I'm not aware of the computer changing which one it's using because of a hardware issue. 64 bit is more efficient, so I would expect(in the event it did do something on it's own), it would force using 64, not 32.

ioneater
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ioneater » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:43 pm

Hmmm, PSU's failing usually result in a reboot, not a slow-down depending on what rail is sagging the most. Like mentioned earlier and I have done myself many times, make a Hiren's disc while your system is appearing to work normally and run the diagnostics for your memory and HD. How old is your installation of windows? May be time for a clean install? Also, you will find several disc cloning utilities on the Hiren's disc that can be used to migrate your old HD to a new one if ever needed. HD's and memory are cheap! One other thing....your cpu could be down-clocking itself if there is a cooling issue. It's a form of thermal self-protection. Any idea what temps and speed it normally runs at doing your usual tasks?

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:39 am

brento73 wrote:Glad things are humming along again. As a computer guy, I want to mention that programs don't go '32 bit mode' because something went wrong with the computer. Each application is either 32 or 64 bit. You might have both versions of some things installed, but I'm not aware of the computer changing which one it's using because of a hardware issue. 64 bit is more efficient, so I would expect(in the event it did do something on it's own), it would force using 64, not 32.

Thanks. I was probably just "fishing" for reasons, and there were programs that seemed to run 32 bit that I didn't expect (like FF). But your info makes sense.

As far as the fan/temp, I am not sure of the specs as it is the PSU that came with the HP machine (I think its a 250W which is probably just enough to run the basic items installed). Made in China, but many of them are. The temp, slow down did occur to me.
One of these days I'm going to get serious about an HD backup. I think I have a separate HD, but may have used it for my older machine. I'm not sure if it is a compatible format (or if it even needs to be, might just be a plug-in USB drive, I forget - I got it LONG ago).

Return to The Backstage Lounge