Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: JesseM, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb

User avatar
Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1415
Joined: Feb 2013

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby Toptube » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:30 pm

It's kinda weird when you realize and internalize that this model instrument is the one for me.

Yesterday I passed on a killer deal for an MTD 17mm 5srring bolt-on bass-------because I know that the Icon 5 neck and overall feel with the shape, are home for me. This MTD is even famous, featured in Faith hill music video I'm the 90's. I dont think I have ever seen an MTD that low in price. And it was in really great condition.

User avatar
Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1185
Joined: May 2007
Location: NYC

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby Bob77 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:47 am

This may have been asked before...but seriously...what's up with some of those expensive GIS that are non returnable? I cannot even imagine spending that much money on a guitar that I cannot even try before committing to it. Different process if you make a custom order to your exact specs and take the risk. But for something already built to someone else's specs...that's a tough one.
Carvin guitars: DC127, DC150, AC375, Bolt-T, H2.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 14769
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:55 am

My theory: this is just an extension of being for sale in the showroom, where people *can* try them out.

Also, *because* they are so expensive, they lose more total value as they get "miles" on them, so it keeps people from impulse buying expensive GIS builds with a few clicks only to return then after playing them in their YouTube playthroughs. I'd like to think that if someone serious called in and spoke with someone, arrangements might be able to be made... but i don't know that.
Last edited by spudmunkey on Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 3647
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: NYC, sans rock clubs and 48th St.
Links/Contact:

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:56 am

Funny you guys were talking about this, because I literally just last night had searched Kiesel on reverb (I'm usually searching "Carvin" for the old Stereo beauties and watching for a nice natural finish 225), and was cracking up all over again over this.

$8500 balloons and no trial period!

Image
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

User avatar
Omsong
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 460
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Somerton, AZ

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby Omsong » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:13 pm

It looks like a freak of nature to me! :lol:
Carvin (All Sold)
* Fatboy 2002 Cherry Sunburst Flame
* CT6M 2006 (apx.) Deep Tigers Eye Quilt
* Fatboy 2009 Clario Walnut Clear Gloss
* Bolt+ 2011 Deep Orange Flame
Kiesel
* Fatboy 2017 (Nov.) Deep Lava Flame

User avatar
wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 2208
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: NY
Links/Contact:

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby wickid » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:16 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:...$8500 balloons and no trial period!

Image


Oh, I got that on me! :lol: :mrgreen:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Image

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

User avatar
gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 7440
Joined: May 2010
Location: Western NC

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:33 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Funny you guys were talking about this, because I literally just last night had searched Kiesel on reverb (I'm usually searching "Carvin" for the old Stereo beauties and watching for a nice natural finish 225), and was cracking up all over again over this.

$8500 balloons and no trial period!

Image


Classic implosion thinking. We, the builder, are not to be exploited or scammed. We don't want people checking this puppy out and then putting it back on the rack (like GC). Because we don't want it damaged. So we set our policies and document that on the printed material. But we didn't first run our public printed material past the Forum regulars for input before we finalized it. We view ourselves from our own vantage point.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10
Oven: SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware

User avatar
Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1185
Joined: May 2007
Location: NYC

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby Bob77 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:53 pm

spudmunkey wrote:My theory: this is just an extension of being for sale in the showroom, where people *can* try them out.

Also, *because* they are so expensive, they lose more total value as they get "miles" on them, so it keeps people from impulse buying expensive GIS builds with a few clicks only to return then after playing them in their YouTube playthroughs. I'd like to think that if someone serious called in and spoke with someone, arrangements might be able to be made... but i don't know that.


That's an interesting insight...and probably true to some extent with these expensive guitars. I can see guys buying guitars they cannot really afford only to send them back. Problem is that with just one show room in the country it makes it quite difficult for the rest of the world :mrgreen:

gumbynotpokey wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote:Funny you guys were talking about this, because I literally just last night had searched Kiesel on reverb (I'm usually searching "Carvin" for the old Stereo beauties and watching for a nice natural finish 225), and was cracking up all over again over this.

$8500 balloons and no trial period!

Image


Classic implosion thinking. We, the builder, are not to be exploited or scammed. We don't want people checking this puppy out and then putting it back on the rack (like GC). Because we don't want it damaged. So we set our policies and document that on the printed material. But we didn't first run our public printed material past the Forum regulars for input before we finalized it. We view ourselves from our own vantage point.


And input on this one may have been quite useful. I can totally see somebody spending big money on a Kiesel double-neck with other options. But this thing with two 7-string necks?! Jeez...I don't think that's very appealing.

Oh well...
Carvin guitars: DC127, DC150, AC375, Bolt-T, H2.

Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 14769
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:56 pm

It saves people from needing to decide if they want a 27" seven-string, or one with a Floyd. :)

User avatar
Omsong
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 460
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Somerton, AZ

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby Omsong » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:49 pm

A 6 and 12 string or a hummer and single coil or maybe a standard and bari neck makes sense, but two 7 strings with the only difference being a trem and marginally shorter scale? Kinda like Siamese twins. Better to separate them. :wink:
Carvin (All Sold)
* Fatboy 2002 Cherry Sunburst Flame
* CT6M 2006 (apx.) Deep Tigers Eye Quilt
* Fatboy 2009 Clario Walnut Clear Gloss
* Bolt+ 2011 Deep Orange Flame
Kiesel
* Fatboy 2017 (Nov.) Deep Lava Flame

User avatar
Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1185
Joined: May 2007
Location: NYC

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby Bob77 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:44 am

spudmunkey wrote:It saves people from needing to decide if they want a 27" seven-string, or one with a Floyd. :)


Hahah lol. That's an 8 grand plus convenience.

Omsong wrote:A 6 and 12 string or a hummer and single coil or maybe a standard and bari neck makes sense, but two 7 strings with the only difference being a trem and marginally shorter scale? Kinda like Siamese twins. Better to separate them. :wink:


That's funny :mrgreen:

I think a regular 6 sting and a 12 string would be absolutely amazing. Heck make the 12 string acoustic and that would make it even more appealing.

Hard to imagine anybody paying 8 grand plus for two 7 string necks without being able to try it out. Well, i guess if somebody has enough money to buy it they probably have enough money also to fly to the show room, try it, pick up and bring it back with them.
Carvin guitars: DC127, DC150, AC375, Bolt-T, H2.

Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

User avatar
skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1293
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: Left side of The Rockies

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby skully13a » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:23 pm

It's just a curiousity, like the 6 legged calf at the county fair. That's what I thought of when I saw it.
SH645
V440T
Purple Bolt!
DC127 Koa
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

User avatar
Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 3647
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: NYC, sans rock clubs and 48th St.
Links/Contact:

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:24 pm

I mean, first and foremost--you've got two necks to see whether or not they feel good in your hand.. and on a seven, I'd imagine this is critical since those with big hands who tend to relax into a "thumb over the top" position during less intricate moments, can't default into that position much of the time.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 14769
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:20 am

Huh... they don't come across very often, so it's strange that there are TWO AC basses in my local Craigslist.

User avatar
arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 3818
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Oakhurst, NJ

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby arahobob » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:38 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:I mean, first and foremost--you've got two necks to see whether or not they feel good in your hand.. and on a seven, I'd imagine this is critical since those with big hands who tend to relax into a "thumb over the top" position during less intricate moments, can't default into that position much of the time.



Double 7s is certainly bizarre.
Now this is a double neck I could have some fun with!! :mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqhfcAUJ9jU
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

User avatar
UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite
Posts: 799
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:00 am

arahobob wrote:Double 7s is certainly bizarre.
Now this is a double neck I could have some fun with!! :mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqhfcAUJ9jU


It's funny seeing those guitars. I knew Brian Nutter; he grew up in a town not far from where I lived, and also sold me my first distortion pedal when I was 16: A Proco Rat2. He had a thing for Silvertone guitars back then, when he was doing repairs at a music shop in Marietta, OH. I guess he's moved on to bigger things these days.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 14769
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:01 pm

A gorgeous walnut AE185 just showed yup in my local Craigslist.

My girlfriend would absolutely loose her mind if i brought another guitar into the house...but he said he was flexible on the price. :lol:

User avatar
ElfDude
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 10265
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: In and around the lake

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby ElfDude » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:20 am

So, I wasn't sure, but it seemed to me that my Contour 66 was quieter and less punchy than my other Carvin guitars. In fact, I was starting to think of putting it up for sale. A few days ago I finally decided that when I got home from work it was time for me to A -B test it against my CT4 (both guitars made of mahogany, both sporting Lithium pickups) and find out if this was all in my imagination or not. If the C66 really was quieter, I was going to put it up for sale that night.

I did the A - B test. The CT4 was indeed louder and had more punch to it.
Made me a little sad but I was glad to know I wasn't imagining things.

But, just for the heck of it, I tried cleaning the output jack of the C66 with Deoxit. Now it sounds fantastic! :lol:

Perhaps I should order a new output jack for it, just to avoid any future troubles. 8)
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on FaceBook
My YouTube Channel

User avatar
Omsong
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 460
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Somerton, AZ

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby Omsong » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:08 am

ElfDude wrote:
But, just for the heck of it, I tried cleaning the output jack of the C66 with Deoxit. Now it sounds fantastic! :lol:


What made you think to clean the jack?
Carvin (All Sold)
* Fatboy 2002 Cherry Sunburst Flame
* CT6M 2006 (apx.) Deep Tigers Eye Quilt
* Fatboy 2009 Clario Walnut Clear Gloss
* Bolt+ 2011 Deep Orange Flame
Kiesel
* Fatboy 2017 (Nov.) Deep Lava Flame

User avatar
ElfDude
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 10265
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: In and around the lake

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby ElfDude » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:11 am

Omsong wrote:
ElfDude wrote:
But, just for the heck of it, I tried cleaning the output jack of the C66 with Deoxit. Now it sounds fantastic! :lol:


What made you think to clean the jack?


I was sitting down at the time. I thought I just might have heard a wee bit of noise when the cable (where it was plugged into the jack) bumped my knee. Subsequent wiggling didn't do anything, but I had to try cleaning it and see if that made any difference. And it did. :)
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100

Midlife Crisis on FaceBook

My YouTube Channel


Return to The Backstage Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest