"The Death of the Electric Guitar"

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

CruzinLow

"The Death of the Electric Guitar"

Postby CruzinLow » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:52 am

Interesting read:

"A former Gibson staffer recalls a company retreat in Las Vegas punctuated by a trip to a shooting range, where executives shot up a Fender Stratocaster."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... 5ad52e0a7b

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: "The Death of the Electric Guitar"

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:28 am

I saw that article yesterday and was going to drop it in here, so you saved me the trouble!
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:16 am

Oh, a new article about the death of the electric guitar. Is it that time of year already? :lol:

Remember when turntables were going to overtake guitars in the early oughts? :laughhard:

EL_SUPER_BEASTO
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby EL_SUPER_BEASTO » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:17 am

Good article, I loved the interview with Reid, but the title misses the mark a bit I think. There are plenty of downright unfortunate instruments that haven't managed to get mercy killed by the American market for hundreds of years.

Once I saw all the brand new garage built cigar box guitars in the stores around the DC area I knew the industry was changing. Nothing represents the rock bottom of technical ingenuity like selling garage-box guitars to hipsters. I saw one in a music store and I thought it was cool too, I asked the guy how much and he told me it was $300. I told him for that much I could just buy a banjo and finish the job, but thanks. He laughed, I laughed, the Elixir Polywebs I was buying laughed. It was a good time.
JB207C, S6527SKFX, S5527QFX
Axe FX II XL+, Divinity II

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:48 am

Yeah, it's an interesting article once you get past the ridiculous hype of the title.

On the other hand, and viz Spud's comment, once upon a time electric guitar-based music dominated the world. Skilled guitar player-songwriters conquered the world and were known by everyone in the mainstream media. You heard them on the radio in the top 40 from the 50's to the 90's. But "the guest rapper" has killed the guitar solo without question, and the majority of Drakeified pop music hardly features the guitar anymore.

However, there are little subgenres everywhere you turn in this highly fragmented media, and it's in these corners of our cultural and musical life that the electric guitar survives and will always survive. Glory, pride, chicks, and rareified air will still always be on offer for those who can bust out a killer riff or write a bitchin song on the electric guitar.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:39 pm

So long as there are youngsters out there like Quinn Sullivan, Toby Lee, and Taj Farrant, I've got hope for the future of guitar.

https://youtu.be/EMl7FYVz8x8

https://youtu.be/kNwD4Yn1QM8

https://youtu.be/il6WHgQLQQM

EL_SUPER_BEASTO
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby EL_SUPER_BEASTO » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:57 pm

High-end boutique will always be there I think. I've seen a few industrious small run amp makers design and build something they wanted themselves, but also sold a few to cover the design and manufacturing costs on their end for it. I think there's something kind of similar going on with low-end to mid level guitars at the moment, but you're still looking at around tens of thousands of dollars being dumped into the gear market sporadically.

High-end boutique luthiers are a dime a dozen these days as well, and all they need is a website essentially. I've seen more semi-pro luthier shops go down in the last five or six years than ever before, and also more forming still. It's not dying, times are changing and the new scope of the market is nebulous so it's making some people sceptical I think. The whole article kind of gave me the feeling that the guy talking to them just didn't like the turn the market was taking.
JB207C, S6527SKFX, S5527QFX
Axe FX II XL+, Divinity II

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:13 am

Guitarists are so all-about guitar. It's so funny.

What you guitarists SHOULD have been talking about for years now is the death of the electric bass. The low end is more synth, keys, ERG guitars than ever. Heck, even percussion like marching drums, octave pedals for percussion (going lower) and those percussion pads are now doing the job of the electric bassist.

You guitar players have nothing real to worry about when it comes to the topic of this article.

But if you like a real electric bass, and bass player to go with it, you need to set some groundrules, make decisions, and show some appreciation -- to keep the more/more limited bassist(s) in your band(s). We are more rare every day. Guitarists remain a dime a dozen, in spite of what that article says. In time you guys might join us for rarity, but not in our lifetimes.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10
Oven: SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:34 pm

As an ERG player, I don't think that the bass is going anywhere. It serves a totally different purpose in a band (and one that's irreplaceable) than a guitar. Two ERGs could work, as in Animals as Leaders, but ultimately, a guitar is a melodic instrument, whereas a bass is rhythmic, tying the ensemble together.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:21 pm

[contrarian]
I'll never understand people pointing to kids playing music from the boomer era with their parents (or grandparents) as evidence that "rock isn't dying!"

That's more evidence that it is dying. If the guitar wasn't dying, those kids would be making new kinds of music that pissed their parents off, not playing music for their parents.
[/contrarian]

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:16 pm

Koshchei wrote:As an ERG player, I don't think that the bass is going anywhere. It serves a totally different purpose in a band (and one that's irreplaceable) than a guitar. Two ERGs could work, as in Animals as Leaders, but ultimately, a guitar is a melodic instrument, whereas a bass is rhythmic, tying the ensemble together.

Totally agree
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:59 pm

Koshchei wrote:As an ERG player, I don't think that the bass is going anywhere. It serves a totally different purpose in a band (and one that's irreplaceable) than a guitar. Two ERGs could work, as in Animals as Leaders, but ultimately, a guitar is a melodic instrument, whereas a bass is rhythmic, tying the ensemble together.

Agreed on all points.

Bass is slowly being replaced.

But it will endure, I believe. As guitar will.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10
Oven: SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:06 pm

Cynical wrote:[contrarian]
I'll never understand people pointing to kids playing music from the boomer era with their parents (or grandparents) as evidence that "rock isn't dying!"

That's more evidence that it is dying. If the guitar wasn't dying, those kids would be making new kinds of music that pissed their parents off, not playing music for their parents.
[/contrarian]

Because popular music, or much of the guitar music that's being celebrated at the moment, is derivative, it doesn't necessarily mean the instrument Itself is"dying", it just means that record companies have long been unable to monetize heavy rock acts in the unbearably sanitized world of hip hop and chick rock, but that's just a commentary on top forty music, I think.

If anything, the fact that kids are ignoring the crap that's been put in front of them and are digging into the past can just as much be taken as a sign of dedication and defiance versus the crud that pop culture is putting out. It's not unlike the acts in the mid Sixties reaching back to old Blues musicians of the 30's to the early 60's, looking for something more edgy and dangerous to play versus the innocuous dribble in British pop at the time.

I don't know what anyone actually means when they say an instrument is going to "die." Do they think that electric guitars will literally stop being manufactured and no one in any genre will play it any longer?

The strongest evidence against that is the simple fact that what feels like the dominating permanence of every paradigm of an era, in the end turns out to have been merely fleeting. In the 70's and 80's, the world of Disco and then hip hop threatened the musical life of your average drummer in a way that no popular music instrument has been, before or since. The prevalence of drum machines and sampled beats/dj'd turntables seemed literally to herald the end of the Drummer On Stage and In The Studio.

Thirty to forty years later, Drummers are alive and well, thank god. As guitar players surely will, no doubt, forty years from now.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:35 pm

I read that article, too, and felt it was hyped. The younger generation has its own instrument set. We have more options, especially in regards to software. That alone will negate some of the need for other instruments, IMo.

I also felt that article amplified the complaints of the big 3 and possibly marketing in America. My perspective is that I don't want a guitar just like my dad, or grandpa had. I want something for myself, a shape to call my own. This kind of indovidualism has been placed on me by my parents, as they felt it necessary to express it themselves.

Much of guitar tech has not changed, and I just don't believe in the classics, per se', outside of the pickups typically used in a specific model. Swap those into a shape that fits better, and it will likely sound the same. Heck, the most sought after amps have been tube, even for me. There definitely exists a difference, though I will readily rock a good transistor one.

All in all, yeah, maybe the big 3 makers are having to cut back. We can thank the internet, mail order, and honestly companies like Kiesel who still offer a better product, again IMo, compared to the major players.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:49 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:... I don't want a guitar just like my dad, or grandpa had. I want something for myself, a shape to call my own. ...

Does that put you in the Vanquish camp? What about Gibson's horribly named, but not bad-looking, Modern Double Cut? Or do you want something... Princely?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:44 am

I like the Vanquish shape, though that lack of tone control does it no favors. I own a V6, and prefer its shape, though it's extremely similar to a Steinberger M series, which is itself a headless take on a Strat. However, it's a design I prefer.

The guitar I grew up playing was a Guild S60-D: http://www.gad.net/Blog/wp-content/uplo ... og-S60.jpg
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:57 pm

The Vanquish has no tone control?!?! It's a Lithium platform! I thought the whole point of those pickups was that you're supposed to be able to turn them into anything with your knobs...

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:02 pm

Cynical wrote:The Vanquish has no tone control?!?! It's a Lithium platform! I thought the whole point of those pickups was that you're supposed to be able to turn them into anything with your knobs...

Once you factor in the beveled edge on the body (since the knobs can't be installed on the bevel, there isn't much space in the shrunk-down control cavity on the already shrunk-down body.

I wonder if it's possible to get a "stacked" vol/tone knob? :think:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:16 pm

It's doable--as we already know, it just makes it nonreturnable.. right? Am I remembering correctly?
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:It's doable--as we already know, it just makes it nonreturnable.. right? Am I remembering correctly?

Correct. And not because they don't think it would be hard to sell a guitar with a tone knob, only that it could feel/look crowded.

Return to The Backstage Lounge