Guitar/bass playing techniques that are unusual?

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Guitar/bass playing techniques that are unusual?

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:00 am

What are some things you do when playing that are outside of the normal way things are done?

One thing I do often when I play an E major chord is instead of fretting the G# on the third string I mute it. It makes it sound better. The intonation on the G string of all the guitars I've played is weird and it makes an E chord sound the slightest bit out of tune, so muting that note fixes that.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

DesmoBob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Guitar/bass playing techniques that are unusual?

Postby DesmoBob » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:52 am

I cheat on the repetitive 16th note fingerpicked part at the ending of Sultans of Swing. I just don't have the coordination to do it, or i'm just hearing it wrong. So I use my thumbnail as a plectrum to pick that part. My nails are long on my right hand.

2Plus2isChicken wrote:One thing I do often when I play an E major chord is instead of fretting the G# on the third string I mute it. It makes it sound better. The intonation on the G string of all the guitars I've played is weird and it makes an E chord sound the slightest bit out of tune, so muting that note fixes that.

Then that's not an E major, it's an E5. :mrgreen:

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:22 pm

I tune the 2nd string (typically B) a few cents flat, as I find it helps chords sound more in-tune, especially up the neck. The G can benefit from it, too, but usually that one is a case of wonky intonation. Not so much a playing technique as a preference.

Other than that, I will "cheat," with probably too much economy picking/legato for speedier things when playing righty, and sometimes I get all kinds of screwed up playing left (my fret hand tries to start picking strings while my picking hand is doing the proper thing).
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:56 am

I'm slightly double-jointed, so if I want to make a note "swell" on my bass in a quiet passage I'll straighten my index and middle finger to the point where they start to bend backward slightly. Then I'll alternate them as fast as I can on the string that I need the note from right on or just before the bridge saddle, striking the string with the underside of my fingers. Then I'll move it slightly up the string to get more volume, and I'll mute slightly with my fretting hand as desired. It makes for a note that seems to sustain with little to no attack. I'm experimenting with intervals and triads as well. I've had a soundman ask me after a show if I was getting feedback from my bass because he heard a note sustaining from me but did not see my fingers move.

Return to The Backstage Lounge