NOT DEAD YET Put Up Royalty Free On YT?

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: JesseM, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

NOT DEAD YET Put Up Royalty Free On YT?

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:44 am

I'm sure there will be a bunch of folks who feel everything should be free/artists not paid that will be a little angry with me for pointing this out so it can potentially be removed. But I want this to be put out there for the Kiesel (since they have a direct line to Jason's people) and Becker families to at least be aware of.

Not Dead Yet has been put on YouTube, without any viewing fee/purchase price. And while I'm sure that by doing it this way there's ad money to be made and publicity benefit to be had for Jason, his legacy, and what he faces every day, I'd imagine if the family and Jason wanted to do that, they'd put it up themselves (or the production company/distributor of the film, which is excellent btw) to reap those revenue sharing dollars themselves, and maintain the power to take it down at will. Obviously this isn't the case.

Since every penny that Jason's name generates should go to the Becker family to help care for him, I just wanted to send up a rocket to let the two families know that this was put up this year, likely without permission. Despite the fact that the film probably has pirated versions up in other places, there's only one YouTube, and Jason and his family deserve every penny his name generates. It shouldn't go into the pocket of YouTube or some kid sitting in his bedroom with a laptop that had nothing to do with the film.

Anyhow I wanted to put this out there so the Becker family might hopefully be made aware somehow, and respond (or not respond) as they might feel is appropriate.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: NOT DEAD YET Put Up Royalty Free On YT?

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:38 am

Heck, put the DVD's up in the Merch section of the K/C website and say so on the BBS and FB pages -- watch the Kiesel/Carvinites buy them! The money could go to Jason and his family!

:)
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10
Oven: SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:48 am

Does anyone know if it's on any of the online streaming free or substription services? (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Crackle)

Does Youtube have a way to report possibly copyrighted content for review if you aren't the copyright holder? I don't think so, huh. :( And I suppose i'd hate to try to report it in case this uploaded *is* somehow officially connected, and with YouTubes automated processes would likely take it down before any manual review could be done, nuking ad revenue.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:36 am

Don't understand why you'd worry for looking out for a beloved person, even if it were sanctioned the worst that could happen was they'd understand you were looking out for someone you care about. No one would waylay you for that from the family I'm sure. Nor the production- distribution staff. It'd probably be refreshing against the endless waves of piracy.

But eh, it's on YouTube movies for four bucks. Just look it up! :?

You can definitely report uploads to bring them to their attention. And YouTube automated processes fail artists constantly. This one has been up there for months.

I'd just like to send a rocket up so that it could potentially be brought to the attention of Jason's family.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

ilyti
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ilyti » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:11 pm

I feel like I've bought enough of Jason's music and merch over the years, in addition to outright donations, that he wouldn't mind if I watch the documentary a second time for free on youtube. :wink:

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:38 am

I bet you that it was demonetized because of "controversial content." That's what happens a LOT nowadays, even for cat videos. Simple cat videos get demonetized. A movie about Jason becker and his struggles with ALS? That's offensive to disabled people, according to Spewtube.
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RGR580x2 (Pearl white, Deep Wine)
RG5000
RG750VP
1996 Ibanez Blazer reissue

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
JB200C the Purple demon of Nagoya
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:17 pm

What? Who was talking about the video being demonitized by YouTube?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:00 pm

It's still up on YouTube movies for $3.99.

The point of this thread is that it's been ALSO uploaded by someone so that people can watch it for free. Taking money away from YouTube movies. And presumably the Becker family.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:18 pm

Apparently copyright violations can only be reported to YT by the holder (which is kind of BS, if you ask me). So I messaged the Becker FB page to let them know. If it stays up, you'll know Jason doesn't mind.

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:54 pm

spudmunkey wrote:What? Who was talking about the video being demonitized by YouTube?

I'm talking about the person who uploaded it, not Youtube Movies.
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RGR580x2 (Pearl white, Deep Wine)
RG5000
RG750VP
1996 Ibanez Blazer reissue

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
JB200C the Purple demon of Nagoya
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:06 pm

MatiasTolkki wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:What? Who was talking about the video being demonitized by YouTube?

I'm talking about the person who uploaded it, not Youtube Movies.

I'm still not getting it...this post is about someone seeming uploading a movie that don't have the right to upload, for free, potentially taking money out of the folks who made the movie and all those who benefit. Piracy.

What does demonetization have anything to do with it? And maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it doesn't look like it's demonetized, because there's ads running before it. Which, if this isn't a sanctioned upload, is even WORSE because not only is the uploader potentially taking money away from the rights holders, but is also PROFITING from them.

And I'm not sure how the rant on youtube demonetization is relevant here. Why say "Spewtube" finds this film "offensive to disabled people"? :roll:

Return to The Backstage Lounge