Trying stuff

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Trying stuff

Postby Bob C » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:12 pm

I just downloaded Dropbox. Let's see if this posts an image.

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/2017012 ... e=personal

I don't know if this link works for everyone or just for me. Also, how do I get an image in my post, rather than just a link? I dragged that link from my Dropbox folder.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Trying stuff

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:00 pm

The link won't let me see the images unless I log in with my DropBox account.

There are two ways to get an image in your post. If you have a URL that ends in ".jpg", you can click the little square icon of the picture of the mountains and the orange sun. It will put [ img ] tags around your URL, and will embed the original image here. That's called "hot linking". I don't know of Dropbox will provide direct links like that.

The other way is to upload it to the forum itself. Below the "Save draft", "preview" and "submit" buttons, the next row should be two tabs: Options and Attachments. Click "attachments". Then, click the "add files" button. This will open up a pop-up window that will let you browse for an image on your device/computer. Then, after it's uploaded, you should be given a "place inline" or similar that will put the link inline in your post where your cursor is, otherwise it'll just appear after the post.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:23 am

Last edited by Bob C on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:33 am

Bob C wrote:[img]20170124_090642.jpg[/img]

For the img tags to work by hotlinking, it has to be a complete URL, starting with "http".

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:36 am

Thanks. Still experimenting. Dropbox said link copied to my clipboard, but apparently I can't view or access my clipboard on Windows 7. So I typed the link - but only partially, as you pointed out.

Today is my "me" day, so I'll be working on this all morning.

20170828_121441.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:53 am

Wow, it finally worked. Thanks for the help, spudmunkey. I don't do photo (on any computer) stuff regularly.

I haven't figured out linking from Dropbox yet. Probably had the URL wrong. But why do I need an outside host service? Forum FAQ's say that you do, but perhaps that is outdated.

Anyway, I'm brushing up on this now so that I can post pics of my new Aries bass as soon as it arrives. I'm just over six weeks into the wait.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:03 am

BTW you should be able to hotlink in more than just Jpegs. Here's a PNG

animated gif

Bmp

Pretty much I've found if you right click on an actual image (as opposed to an initial search result of an image, before hitting "view image" to get the true url) and click on "copy image address" and drop that address between the two brackets from clicking on the little mountain/sun IMG button (or just writing the brackets out yourself) the image should reproduce.

Just a little ditty... after the changeover to the latest forum there were some inconveniences, esp on mobile, which we all passionately logged in tech issue threads... so I don't want to sell them short in areas where it's convenient and versatile. 8)
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:00 am

So ... after you click "copy image address", do you then click between the "img" brackets?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:29 am

Yeah, once you have the image address loaded onto your computers clipboard, then once you have the opening and closing [ IMG ] [ / I M G] next to each other from clicking the mountain/sun IMG box spud was talking about, then you just drop the address between them. You can just hold down Control-V and that will paste it in. Just don't add any spaces etc before you drop it in there. Both ends of the URL should touch the IMG brackets with no spaces.

And that should do it.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:30 am

I think the FAQ said that you need to find an off-site hosting service *IF* the admin doesn't give you permission to upload images.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:34 am

I believe it. I haven't used the Image Uploader in a while.. too many old experiences on the former incarnation of the forum where it would flip my images sideways. So I just use the brackets nowadays and cube for my own images.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:39 pm

spudmunkey wrote:I think the FAQ said that you need to find an off-site hosting service *IF* the admin doesn't give you permission to upload images.

This, from FAQ's: "How do I post soundclips or photos?"

For photos, the same applies. You will need a host to upload your photos if you do not have a server. Photo Bucket is one of the better ones on the net right now.

But it's from 2007, so I guess that has changed. Anyway, I figured out the uploader and it works for me, so I'm canning the hot link method.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:06 pm

Bob C wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:I think the FAQ said that you need to find an off-site hosting service *IF* the admin doesn't give you permission to upload images.

This, from FAQ's: "How do I post soundclips or photos?"

For photos, the same applies. You will need a host to upload your photos if you do not have a server. Photo Bucket is one of the better ones on the net right now.

But it's from 2007, so I guess that has changed. Anyway, I figured out the uploader and it works for me, so I'm canning the hot link method.

Ahh, I saw the "Can I post images?" section.

Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:16 pm

Wow, I guess I didn't even make it that far. Anyway, this quest for knowledge started because I have a bass on order and know that I'm required to post pics as soon as it arrives. So, I killed a day, but still have three and two thirds weeks (until the estimated delivery date) left to wait.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:21 pm

Well, now you know. And as we all know...

Return to The Backstage Lounge