After about two years I'm finally going to play in a band again.

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

After about two years I'm finally going to play in a band again.

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:18 pm

Just playing at home is fun, but I think I'm missing out on something by not playing outside of the house. I was asked by the band leader at the church I'm going to now to play in their group and I said I would. I need to learn their songs and I guess I'm just a tiny bit nervous about it, but not too much. I've done this before so no big deal.

Deciding what to put on my pedalboard was kind of tough because I've ended up with too many pedals I love. I decided I didn't want a board that was very heavy, so I ended up going with my old Pedaltrain PT-JR board. The board I ended up with is this:

IMG_1300-2.jpg

I know it's sideways, but it was either that or make it way too small. The Quilter 101 Mini Head serves as the main amp. It sounds great through my Legacy II 212 cabinet, so I'll probably use that. The patch cables are Lava Tightrope solderless ones. Signal chain is Tuner > Phaser > Flanger > TubeScreamer > JHS Sweet Tea > Chorus > Flashback > HOF > Quilter. Simple, but it works. I wish I had a decent recording setup to let you all hear how good that Sweet Tea pedal sounds with this thing. I've actually thought about selling my Legacy 3 head because of it. It's that good. :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: After about two years I'm finally going to play in a band again.

Postby Doctor Doug » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:27 am

That's awesome! Playing with other musicians is my favourite part of playing.

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:36 am

Those are fun times. I recently had a similar experience, where a previous church-band leader approached me about playing in a new/old band he was restarting, and needed a "talent bassist." I'm a guitar guy, but have pinch-hit on bass for a few years of my playing in bands. Now I have a reason to practice sweep picking and shredding on the bass :P
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:07 pm

We had our first service this morning. Everything went fine, but there wasn't a bassist or drummer like I was expecting, which was kind of disappointing. The church's musicians mostly left and are doing I don't know what, probably at another church. Hopefully we get a new bass player and drummer soon. I had to play clean guitar the whole time because distorted guitar just doesn't go right without drums or bass for me.

Also, I didn't get to use the Quilter, but the church had a Fender Blues Junior there, and that was a great little amp. I'll keep the Quilter on the board for a spare though.

I don't have to pack as much as I thought. Guitar stands and cables are pretty much all provided by the church, so I don't have to bring all that next time.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:17 pm

Good to hear these kinds of things.....keeps some of us encouraged. :)
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10
Oven: SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:29 pm

Yeah, it is encouraging to be playing with people again! A friend of my father's recommended me to the band leader. I'm really not used to this kind of music. It uses strummy open chords, a style I don't play much since I'm mainly into '80s hard rock/metal and classic rock. It's actually an adjustment for me even though you would think it would be much simpler music, which it really is, I'm just kind of rusty since I haven't played this style in a few years.

No matter what I'm playing, it just feels good to play. I hope I end up an old man still playing guitar and having fun with it.

the other players in the group are very good. We have a keyboard player who's ridiculous, and another guy on acoustic guitar who was doing some interesting things with reverb/delay/chorus on one song.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:40 pm

Playing at home I tend to get stuck in a rut. Playing in a band really helps you grow.

Plus it's just much more fun.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:58 pm

Well after 3-4 services I'm finding out that I have been playing alone too long. I'm getting the songs down fine, just playing basic chords. There's a lot I don't know about music, though, some very basic, such as:

1) Time signatures. If someone tells me 3/4 time I have no idea what that means. I never really thought about or read about any of that.

2) We have printed sheets when playing that tell us what to play. Mine differ from the other instrument players in that while mine consist of song lyrics with chords, their sheets use what they call "Nashville Numbers", and the band leader wants me to learn how to read that even though I've never heard of it or heard of anyone else who uses it. It must be a Nashville country scene thing because the band leader is apparently into country and does a lot of gigs in that regard. He's very nice and helpful so that's great. One of his little kids gets up there with us sometimes and she can play violin exceptionally well for her age. It's amazing.

3) There's no way I'm doing a solo. I don't even know the scales or modes much less when to use them. I probably need to learn all the 7th chords and stuff first. I think I used to know them at one time but never use them being a rock-oriented player. I still know A7 though.

I'm still very much an unlearned amateur after 21 years of playing. It's kind of frustrating but it's nothing I can't overcome. I will say I seem to play much better at home, though. The leader injects a lot of his country influence into what we're doing and I'm not into country, but I'm managing it so far. We still lack bass and drums so maybe we'll do some more rocking stuff once those positions happen.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:09 pm

2Plus2isChicken wrote:1) Time signatures. If someone tells me 3/4 time I have no idea what that means. I never really thought about or read about any of that.

As someone from german heritage, 3/4 is the only one besides 4/4 I think I could always identify. :) I couldn't believe it when I realized Jimi's "Manic Depression" was a waltz. ;)

DesmoBob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby DesmoBob » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:04 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
2Plus2isChicken wrote:1) Time signatures. If someone tells me 3/4 time I have no idea what that means. I never really thought about or read about any of that.

As someone from german heritage, 3/4 is the only one besides 4/4 I think I could always identify. :) I couldn't believe it when I realized Jimi's "Manic Depression" was a waltz. ;)

Or the slow verses of "One" by Metallica (with some 2/4 thrown in for fun). Metalliwaltz.

Return to The Backstage Lounge