Aries or Vanquish? California Woods size?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Aries or Vanquish?

Aries AB4
71%
Vanquish V49K
29%

Total votes: 7

JMoto

Aries or Vanquish? California Woods size?

Postby JMoto » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:59 am

Alrighty. I was searching high and low for a good Fender Custom Shop Jazz Bass to the specs I wanted and a friend suggested Kiesel. After googling them I am blown away at how cool these are! AND it'll be about the same price I was looking to spend anyways for new!

So how did you choose between the Aries AB4 and the Vanquish V49K? They seem pretty similar, yes?
Is it just the extra top bevel and different tuner placement? So, mostly cosmetic?

Also, am I correct that the RAD-J pickups would get me the Fender Jazz sound I'm wanting?

Now you're asking, why not get a JB4 instead? Because I was dead set on a quilted top dark purple JB4 until I saw the one attached and it blew my mind!!!! :shock: So now I'm definitely ordering top wood from California Woods (where this one came from). Then the question is, is there a certain size I need minimum? I don't want to fall in love with a $650 piece only to realize it's too small etc.

Thanks for the expert help Forum Guru's!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Aries or Vanquish? California Woods size?

Postby gumbynotpokey » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:41 pm

Welcome. This is honestly the most helpful, polite and cool Forum on the entire (dreaded) interwebs.

With that out of the way, we do like new folks dropping into our community.

There's a member on here with the nick "dometalican" who has gone WAY out of his way and built two incredibly helpful "pickup description post" threads - one for guitar and one for bass. Use that search function (top right).

I have a bass with two of the J99A's (single coils) and they are amazing. You should consider listening to input from others on the RAD's and sound samples on youtube as well. Very good question.

Top woods, size requirements, etc etc = Jeff Kiesel's motto "Call my guys". Before Jeff it was his dad, Mark, but the advice was basically the same. "Call with credit card in hand" for odd requests for a build and a YES is more likely. But on this, outside wood - call in and see if they will do it and what the requirements are. And ASK what stealth pieces they have and stealth species they have -- they often have special stuff in limited quantities that they (rightly) don't mention -- but make available to those that call.

Again, welcome. Hang out. You'll like it here.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

JMoto

Postby JMoto » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Thanks so much!
I had sent an email last week but hadn't heard back due to the holiday I'm sure.
I'll call in this week and look up those pickup comparisons!
Cheers!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:04 pm

You can get custom woods on the JB, but then some is covered by the pickguard... and they offer a version without the Pickard, but those always looked unfinished to me.... but i don't remember seeing them use this stabilized stuff on a bent forearm contour before, like in the JB... only on beveled models, like the Vanquish.

Here was their requirements back in 2014, as posted here: viewtopic.php?p=520699#p520699

Always good to contact them directly to get the most current info (and you obviously need to call them anyway to set up the order) but this should at least let you filter your search a bit until then.

Moisture Content - 6% to 8%
Absolutely NO CRACKS

Top and Back - 1/2" X 7" X 21" [Carvin will "book match" this piece]
Neck Wood - 2 1/8"* X 4" X 48" [2" Thick MAY be acceptable, verify with your Carvin salesperson]
Neck Strips - 2 1/8" X 1/4" X 48" [same deal as the neck. 2" MAY be ok, check first!]
Fret Board - 5/16" X 2 3/4" X 26 3/4"

Welcome!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:29 pm

A few more pics, which I'm sure you've seen (click for larger):

vm49k-aat-ash-stf-r20-isod-ia-5wp-sl-bc-ak-abl-50-customersuppliedtop-palemoonfingerboard-usecustomerheadstockoverlay-134672_gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20170904-192549.jpg

Screenshot_20170904-192501.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:25 pm

JMoto wrote:Thanks so much!
I had sent an email last week but hadn't heard back due to the holiday I'm sure.
Cheers!

BTW, they don't do well overall responding to emails. Calling is best by a mile.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:39 pm

Purely for the Vanquish versus Aries aspect, I voted for the Aries because the body feels slightly more comfortable to me than the Vanquish.
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

JMoto

Postby JMoto » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:00 pm

spudmunkey wrote:A few more pics, which I'm sure you've seen

Thanks so much, I actually hadn't seen those!! Stellar, is she yours?!?!

Interestingly, non of the tops they sell (or have as stabilized guitar tops right now) are 1/2"... They're all way thinner!
Will call soon and let y'all know how it goes!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:10 pm

JMoto wrote:is she yours?!?!

Nope.
JMoto wrote:Interestingly, non of the tops they sell (or have as stabilized guitar tops right now) are 1/2"... They're all way thinner!
Will call soon and let y'all know how it goes!

Huh. Now, with that 1/2"... They say they will bookmatch from that. But i wonder if they will let you get away with 1/4" if the piece is large enough to use as a one-piece top. :think:

JMoto

Postby JMoto » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:06 pm

Hmm, dunno, they're all book matched...

JMoto

Postby JMoto » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:31 am

MikeBass wrote:Purely for the Vanquish versus Aries aspect, I voted for the Aries because the body feels slightly more comfortable to me than the Vanquish.

Anything you can compare it to? I won't get to have either under my fingers before ordering.
Guitar wise I have a Gibson SG Custom, a PRS Hollowbody and a Kauer Titan.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:24 pm

JMoto wrote:Hmm, dunno, they're all book matched...

If they re all already pre-bookmatched, I imagine it would only need to be 1/4" thick then. I would imagine. I've been know to have flights of fancy, though, so best would be to call to know for sure. :)
Last edited by spudmunkey on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:20 pm

gumbynotpokey wrote:
JMoto wrote:Thanks so much!
Cheers!

BTW, they don't do well overall responding to emails. Calling is best by a mile.

I second this ^
Emailing a sales person direct is always better than the general email box (where hope goes to die)
Phoning in is the best.
Facebook gets pretty quick answers too believe it or not ( even more so when you message your sales person directly)
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

JMoto

Postby JMoto » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:41 pm

Got my call in.
They said the guy at CA Woods knows what they can work with or not so it'll be pretty easy to just drive over then and check out his stuff in person.
Jeff will be back on Monday (out racing!) and they'll ask him when they will be able to do one with outside wood. It's a "yes, they can do it, just might be a while" answer so that's great news! :D Gives me lots of time to be certain of what specs I want! Leaning towards zebrawood or palemoon ebony for the fingerboard but tbd! :D
Thanks again, very helpful and nice forum indeed! :rockon:

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:38 am

Here is my suggestion. Before you go spending a ton on a bass you don't know----order an in-stock for the 10 day trial. For me personally, kiesel could make me the most expensive bass----but If I don't like the feel, I wouldn't want it. Yes, you will spend about $100 in shipping to demo an in-stock. But that's nothing, when you are going to spend so much.

JMoto

Postby JMoto » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:19 am

I hadn't thought of that, good suggestion. They have one in stock in a weird color but worth the pickups and fingerboard I'm looking at. They're totally okay with the rental basically?

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:36 pm

JMoto wrote:I hadn't thought of that, good suggestion. They have one in stock in a weird color but worth the pickups and fingerboard I'm looking at. They're totally okay with the rental basically?
Basically, yes.

And after you have played one, you can make a better judgement on subtle, Important tweaks. Such as fret size or neck thickness options. And in the case of the 4 string, fretboard radius.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:00 pm

Did you buy the orange one?

JMoto

Postby JMoto » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:35 pm

No, they already sold it when I called. They've got more 4 strings coming though. :D

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses