Options question neck dive?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Crinocerous

Options question neck dive?

Postby Crinocerous » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:46 am

Hi all,
I was thinking about ordering a vanquish 6st bass with Black limba body and walnut (with maple stripes) neck but wasn't sure if the heavy walnut would make the neck dive, add a significant amount of weight, and/or have any quirky tonal properties that I should be aware of. Has anyone had experience with this combo? Had anyone had neck dive with any combo offered?

currently I own a sb5000 fretless and a sb5001 fretted (better weight) that are both all mahogany and I love the sound which drew me to the limba being a similar tone wood with a little more visual flare and the walnut (besides liking the dark color) makes me think better stability especially that hard neck finishes are not offered on this model.thoughts?
sb5000 fretless mahogany
sb5001 spalted maple/mahogany
V69k on the way!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Options question neck dive?

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:09 am

I can't comment on your scenario, but I can say that they *can* do the satin or gloss finishes on the bolt-ons, it's just quite expensive (because of the extra work hey have to do to the neck pocket) and it makes it non-returnable.

Crinocerous

Postby Crinocerous » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:26 am

spudmunkey wrote:I can't comment on your scenario, but I can say that they *can* do the satin or gloss finishes on the bolt-ons, it's just quite expensive (because of the extra work hey have to do to the neck pocket) and it makes it non-returnable.

good to know thanks
sb5000 fretless mahogany
V69k on the way!

GlassToMouth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby GlassToMouth » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:34 am

I own a multiscale Vanquish 4 string with chambered swamp ash body and a walnut/purple heart neck. Very well balanced, no neck dive, and only 8.5lbs. I'm sure the extra strings and neck width will add some weight, but I imagine you'd be fine.
VM49K Vanquish multiscale 4 string 4/29/17

NBD thread - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49182&p=632719

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:45 pm

In my collection of Carvin/Kiesel basses I have about most of the wood combinations available. I really don't have any issues with "neck dive" with any of them. For instance, my X64 has a walnut w/ koa neck and it's not neck heavy. My VB6 has a walnut w/ purple heart neck and as you'd expect, due to most of the weight being in the body, that has no neck dive either. My V69K with a maple/purple heart neck may seem to have a neck-dive issue if I sit down with it without a strap, but as soon as I put my right hand/arm on the body or put the strap on, then there is no neck-dive. I think it has something to do with how that lower curve of the body is moved slightly towards the bottom of the body on that model.

Crinocerous

Postby Crinocerous » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:56 pm

Thanks. Puts my mind at ease
sb5000 fretless mahogany
V69k on the way!

Bliff Curton

Postby Bliff Curton » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:22 pm

I’m thinking of the same wood combinations but in an LB75.

I have spinal injuries so I need a light bass, but I still want big tone.

Let us know how it sounds and weighs when you get it.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:02 pm

Walnut is not particularly heavy. It isn't heavier than Maple, which is the most common neckwood.

Nearly all Kiesel basses have long upper horns, so you don't have to worry about dive.

Crinocerous

Postby Crinocerous » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:25 pm

I have since received the bass and it balances nicely. :D very happy with it. yes it is not as heavy as i would have thought. Went with a Vanqish Bl Limba body, claro walnut top, 5 piece walnut w/maple stripes neck and birdseye board.beautiful and the tone is amazeballs! already thinking about my next build. debating a Zeus because of how they are supposed to balance but to be honest I wonder about the durability of those set screws....
sb5000 fretless mahogany
V69k on the way!

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:44 pm

Crinocerous wrote: I wonder about the durability of those set screws....

The only concern would be with the female threads. The set screws can mushroom on the ends with wear, However they are common screws. You would be out about a dollar to replace them. and can get them at home depot. You can also get dog point or knurl head to prevent the mushroom. Of course the common failure is over torque. Just use the appropriate length allen wrench and only tighten enough to secure the string.

Crinocerous

Postby Crinocerous » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:51 am

The only concern would be with the female threads. The set screws can mushroom on the ends with wear, However they are common screws. You would be out about a dollar to replace them. and can get them at home depot. You can also get dog point or knurl head to prevent the mushroom. Of course the common failure is over torque. Just use the appropriate length allen wrench and only tighten enough to secure the string.

good to know, thanks. Does Kiesel provide a few extras with the purchase? Do you know the dimensions of the screw?
sb5000 fretless mahogany
V69k on the way!

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses