New! Solo Bass!

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

New! Solo Bass!

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:43 pm

Screenshot taken from Ferhan Abi's post on Facebook in the Kiesel group.

4 or 5 string, multiscale or straight.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: New! Solo Bass!

Postby amon » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:24 pm

YAY NECKDIVE!

The new headstock looks okay in a 4-string bass configuration, though. Just not on this. The 2+2 version of the CT headstock might work.

Still need a fatter 1.688" nut width P-Bass profile. Also, the P pickup looks like it needs to be closer to the neck.

Might be cool with two single-coils, either J's or soapbars, a Tele control configuration (like on the Solo guitar) and 4-way selector.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:51 pm

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:47 pm

amon wrote:YAY NECKDIVE!

The new headstock looks okay in a 4-string bass configuration, though. Just not on this. The 2+2 version of the CT headstock might work.

Still need a fatter 1.688" nut width P-Bass profile. Also, the P pickup looks like it needs to be closer to the neck.

Might be cool with two single-coils, either J's or soapbars, a Tele control configuration (like on the Solo guitar) and 4-way selector.

These would look great with the SB headstock.

Case in point: Schecter Ultra Bass

shecterultarB.jpg

I have one of those in a sort of tobacco burst. Balance and reach are both great. Balances way better than my Jaguar bass. and the body is even much thinner than usual.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:31 pm

amon wrote:YAY NECKDIVE!

That was my thought too In general, I don't jive with single cuts, with anything longer scale than 25.5". I'm just watching the video now, and he pointed out a couple design considerations on this bass.

He's generally not a fan of single cut basses because he just doesn't jive with their typical proportions. He doesn't generally like the deep fret access cutaways on the treble side because it makes the body looking like a whale's mouth. So to keep the body's proportions in line with his own aesthetic preferences, the bass's body is a little longer than it might normally be, and the neck is only 20 frets so that the body has more "guitar-like" proportions (my words, not his).

It's also not available with chambering, specifically to prevent neck dive issues.

30": "We thought about it...I won't say never...and if enough (at least 5 people) who'd be willing to pre-pay and ready to go, I'd really consider it."

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:46 pm

amon wrote:Also, the P pickup looks like it needs to be closer to the neck.

how many frets on the instrument shown?
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:07 pm

gumbynotpokey wrote:

Solo bass is 20 frets. And the P looks right.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:55 am

Toptube wrote:
gumbynotpokey wrote:

No, it doesn't. Look at where the pickup sits in relation to the controls and look at other instruments that have the same control configuration.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:58 am

Toptube wrote:Balance and reach are both great.

I have discovered that what I consider to be perfect balance is different from what others consider that. I prefer tail-heaviness and am completely unforgiving of a neck not staying put when I let go of it. I move strap buttons all the time, and have gone so far as to install metal rods in the tail to deal with the issue.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:02 am

amon wrote:
Toptube wrote:. And the P looks right.

No, it doesn't. Look at where the pickup sits in relation to the controls and look at other instruments that have the same control configuration.

But then compare where those controls are in relation to the bridge. Was there a specific model you were looking at tho compare?

For example, compare the Solo to the Icon. The solo looks like the pickup is pulled further in... but that's because when you compare the location of the controls to the bridge, the Solo's controls are positioned further out away from the bridge, making the neck pickup look pulled in by comparison.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:05 pm

amon wrote:
Toptube wrote:
gumbynotpokey wrote:

Look at a P Bass and then look at the Solo bass.

Use the 20th fret and bridge, as your guides.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:16 pm

When Carvin/Kiesel refused to allow me to put their new split PU on a bolt neck bass they built that did also NOT have a pickguard (an Option 50 they said no to - but thankful they asked and tried), I had Tom Clement build me such an instrument and shipped him the Carvin split PU. I told him I wanted the split in the "classic P position". When he built the instrument, he determined that location by measuring from the nut to the center of the split. BINGO. And I learned a great lesson. The LOOK of the 24 stop fretless end-of-fingerboard to the center of the PU looked off in terms of distance. But it was not. It's the distance from the nut. It looked off compared to other fingerboard lengths, etc. etc. Lesson learned. :)

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:33 pm

Toptube wrote:Look at a P Bass and then look at the Solo bass.

*sigh*

Just believe me when I tell you something.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:45 pm

amon wrote:
Toptube wrote:Look at a P Bass and then look at the Solo bass.

*sigh*

Just believe me when I tell you something.

I'm not really sure what your edits are trying to show. Can you please explain?

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:23 am

I like it. I don't know if this can do anything that the PB can't, but it's a different look.

To me, the split pickup looks like it's in the classic position. We would have to measure to be sure.

Same with neck dive. Try it and see.

The headstock in the pic looks pretty good; I think in the case, matching the body color would look better.

This is the first I've seen or heard of this model. I don't know all the specs or options. The OP mentioned a need/desire for a chunkier neck. Different strokes, I suppose. I own a 1998 LB70 and a 2017 Aries. The Aries is fatter and thicker and more Precision-like, but I prefer the feel of the LB70. Maybe more than one neck option is available on the Solo?

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:14 pm

Toptube wrote:I'm not really sure what your edits are trying to show. Can you please explain?

On the P-Bass, the distance from the bridge to the pickup is roughly equal to the distance from the pickup to the 20th fret.

On the Solo, the distance from the bridge to the pickup is roughly equal to the distance from the pickup to the end of the fingerboard.

Ergo, the pickup needs to move closer to the neck.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:19 pm

Bob C wrote:I own a 1998 LB70 and a 2017 Aries. The Aries is fatter and thicker and more Precision-like

Please check the following dimensions on each with some calipers and tell us what they are:

-Width at the nut
-Width at the end of the fingerboard
-Front-to-back thickness of the neck at the 1st fret (not including the fret wire)
-Thickness of the neck at the octave

And if you've got a radius gauge, please also check the radii of the two boards. Thanks.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:16 pm

amon wrote:
Toptube wrote:I'm not really sure what your edits are trying to show. Can you please explain?

On the P-Bass, the distance from the bridge to the pickup is roughly equal to the distance from the pickup to the 20th fret.

On the Solo, the distance from the bridge to the pickup is roughly equal to the distance from the pickup to the end of the fingerboard.

Ergo, the pickup needs to move closer to the neck.

It looks close enough to read as "correct" to me, if we consider Fender's P position "correct". Its...close. too close to determine from such pictures, as perspective and overall scale (of the pics, not scale length of the basses) are not comparable (I.E. on the solo, the box for the bridge space stops at the top edge of the pickup. and the box for the neck space stops at the bottom edge/route edge). It Could indeed be back a little further.

However, a little further back, I also do not consider to be wrong. Lots of pickup positions sound great. and different brand pickups can sound better/worse in any given position.
Last edited by Toptube on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:08 pm

(distance from nut to center of PU on each?)

:)

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:23 am

amon wrote:
Bob C wrote:I own a 1998 LB70 and a 2017 Aries. The Aries is fatter and thicker and more Precision-like

Please check the following dimensions on each with some calipers and tell us what they are:

-Width at the nut
-Width at the end of the fingerboard
-Front-to-back thickness of the neck at the 1st fret (not including the fret wire)
-Thickness of the neck at the octave

And if you've got a radius gauge, please also check the radii of the two boards. Thanks.

Sorry for not answering sooner. I don't have calipers or a radius gauge, so mostly going by feel. Also, my LB70 is 20 years old and they've probably changed the neck design since then. I'm pretty sure both of my basses have 14" radius.

Somewhere on the Kiesel site the specs for neck width at nut and heel are listed. If memory serves, the LB neck was only a tiny bit thinner than the Aries. Again, it feels chunkier. I suspect it's rounder and deeper. I'll try to measure with a ruler when I have both basses at the ready.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses