New! Zeus MULTISCALE Headless Bolt-Neck Bass

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: New! Zeus MULTISCALE Headless Bolt-Neck Bass

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:45 am

It does seem that the longer scale would benefit from the longer horn, for reach comfort. They did the Zeus just because it sells multiples more than the Osiris, but I, too, think I would prefer an Osiris...but I'm not buying either, so my $0.02 ain't worth much more than that.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:24 pm

The Zeus multiscale seems to be selling pretty well (based on my perception from looking at FB every day).

I wouldn't be surprised if later this year, we get either an Osiris MS, a whole new body shape meant for MS, or both.

However, what I really want is for Kiesel to drive the price down. The price premium on these is a bit much. I mean, I know they spent many thousands on design and production for the bridge and the longer radiused pickups. But, it would be great if they could subsidize the cost with their guitars or something. These are $300 more than their regular counterparts. And that makes it real tough to afford even some modest options.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:48 pm

In case it helps anything, the pricing on guitars is all over the place. On an Aries, it's a $200 premium from standard to multiscale. $150 on the DC600. $250 on the K series, for some reason... :wall:

5StringPocket

Postby 5StringPocket » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:20 am

I'm still mulling over a ZBM5 build and have settled on an alder body with quilt maple top in deep lava, ebony board, and radium single coils with a series/parallel switch. I prefer the 60's position bridge coil over 70's and found that Kiesel keeps the same bridge pickup route but uses a north side position for 60's and south side position for 70's with position indicated by a green or purple dot. I forget which color for 60's but would like to know if this is correct and can be specified with the order.

Edit:
I found this Facebook link posted elsewhere in this forum which answers the question at about 2:40 in. Jeff said that 60's position is the default for single coils. 70's position has to be asked for and the bridge pickup will have a purple dot which indicates the coil is located along the side closest to the bridge - cool.
Darryl Williams Zeus Review

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:28 am

5StringPocket wrote:I'm still mulling over a ZBM5 build and have settled on an alder body with quilt maple top in deep lava, ebony board, and radium single coils with a series/parallel switch. I prefer the 60's position bridge coil over 70's and found that Kiesel keeps the same bridge pickup route but uses a north side position for 60's and south side position for 70's with position indicated by a green or purple dot. I forget which color for 60's but would like to know if this is correct and can be specified with the order.

Edit:
I found this Facebook link posted elsewhere in this forum which answers the question at about 2:40 in. Jeff said that 60's position is the default for single coils. 70's position has to be asked for and the bridge pickup will have a purple dot which indicates the coil is located along the side closest to the bridge - cool.
Darryl Williams Zeus Review

Lava quilt looks so good

Natural back/bevel or Lava on all of it? 3 piece body for the little trim piece around the bevel?

Yes and you can flip the pickup if you want to try the 70's position.

5StringPocket

Postby 5StringPocket » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:34 pm

I'd like to de-emphasize the bevel so I think lava on all of it. I'm not sure how many piece body is standard but a one piece body is $100 extra. For the grain of swamp ash I could see doing it but probably not for alder. That lava really seems to catch the light and should work well with black hardware and an ebony board. I get the idea about flipping the pickup 180 to go from 60's to 70's position. It's nice to have the option.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:53 pm

The normal body is no more than 2 piece. Sometimes you luck out and you get 1 on the headless models because the bodies are smaller, but if you dont upgrade, expect one seam running from the center of the neck pocket, down to the bottom strap button.

5StringPocket

Postby 5StringPocket » Wed May 15, 2019 7:36 pm

If they bookmatch the pieces well then a two-piece seam is hardly noticed. Actually don't think I've ever had a one piece body before. Random question - what is the center to center spacing between the two pickups?

forbiddenengravings

Postby forbiddenengravings » Thu May 16, 2019 8:48 pm

Howler wrote:
HarlowTheFish wrote:From what Toptube said, it looks like they just weren't tooled up to make a pickup long enough to slant while still spanning all 6 strings. The one in the pictures was probably made before the longer slanted pickups were finished.

Toptube said longer radiused pickups so maybe not for HB4/5/6 Alnico Bridge Humbuckers.

Also checked the gallery and they also did that on VM59K's:

Hopefully they will soon offer multiscale options for Osiris and VADER basses!

Haha, scrolling through Google and saw my bass! Never realized they actually took a pic of it.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses