Wenge an Available Wood?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

5StringPocket

Wenge an Available Wood?

Postby 5StringPocket » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:22 am

I don't see it on the web site but I would love a 3-piece maple neck with wenge center strip and fingerboard.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Wenge an Available Wood?

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:32 am

5StringPocket wrote:I don't see it on the web site but I would love a 3-piece maple neck with wenge center strip and fingerboard.

They don't like working with wenge for necks, for sure. They've done one when a customer supplied the wood (I believe it was a then-named DC7X), but they may or may not do it again. They've done a couple wenge tops, but again, it's not a wood that they offer as a normal option. Worth calling them, though, when you are ready to order (as things can change day-to-day).

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:16 pm

Jeff's said before that he doesn't really like working with it because it's hard on tools and stuff, but said he preferred Walnut in most applications.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:23 pm

A few previous examples. I know some people say Wenge is great because it doesn't need a finish, but the few times that Carvin/kiesel did it, it was indeed finished.

5StringPocket

Postby 5StringPocket » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:33 pm

Those are some fine examples of wenge. Walnut is good for tops and neck laminations but too soft for a fingerboard. Wenge is harder and more dense. My wants are much simpler and easier - just a fingerboard and neck laminations. I could see how just cutting one oversized wenge fingerboard piece could also yield two stringers for a 5-piece maple/wenge neck. Basic rectangular shapes with no fancy contours and a minimum number of cuts. The wenge fingerboard and a pair of neck stringers make the letter PI which looks good. I have a bass with a neck like this and think it would be excellent on a ZBM5.

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:54 pm

5StringPocket wrote:Those are some fine examples of wenge. Walnut is good for tops and neck laminations but too soft for a fingerboard. Wenge is harder and more dense. My wants are much simpler and easier - just a fingerboard and neck laminations. I could see how just cutting one oversized wenge fingerboard piece could also yield two stringers for a 5-piece maple/wenge neck. Basic rectangular shapes with no fancy contours and a minimum number of cuts. The wenge fingerboard and a pair of neck stringers make the letter PI which looks good. I have a bass with a neck like this and think it would be excellent on a ZBM5.

If you're cutting by hand yes, but I'd say most of their woodwork in the shop is by CNC, which doesn't leave a lot of spare wood and has a really hard time with the Wenge grain and density killing bits. Not a big deal in a small shop, but at the size of an operation that Kiesel is then the extra maintenance adds downtime really fast.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses