NBD - B25 content ahead

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Bass Juju

NBD - B25 content ahead

Postby Bass Juju » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:12 am

The wait ended yesterday and I couldn't be happier with the bass. It is amazing. If you are on the fence, stop creasing your butt, climb down, and order one of these amazing instruments. Fit and finish, top notch. Playability, best action ever. Tone, great growl, punch, and presence. I played it at practice for a bit last night and man did it pop in the mix. I love green and I am aware that it isn't for everyone, but the color is mesmerizing and the grain, I don't have words. Most folks that see it for the first time think its painted on. Just gorgeous. Keith was "my guy" and he is awesome, but everyone I have talked to there has been just so. I think those things come from the top down.

So, apparently a box photo, case photo, et al are a thing and here are mine. I had it shipped to work so please excuse the office clutter in a shot or two. I sent my own D'addario tapes in and had my name on the truss rod cover. Here are the rest of the specs.

B25 BROMBERG 5S BASS
QDM4 QUILT DEEP MOSS GREEN
5MM 5 PIECE ALL MAPLE NECK
NS NECK NOT SHOWN ON TOP OF B
QPH4 QUILTED HEADSTOCK ANNIVERS
FI FRETLESS FINGERBOARD W/WHT
KRH INSTALL RADIUM HUMBUCKERS
BC BLACK CHROME PLATED HARDWA
UCS USE CUSTOMER'S STRINGS
AK METAL KNOBS WITH ABALONE I

It was hard for me to put down today. I have played it for hours and that shows no sign of changing any time soon.

Thanks to all the Kieselites for a wonderful instrument!
Last edited by Bass Juju on Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Bromberg B25
JB5

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: NBD - B25 content ahead

Postby ilyti » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:45 pm

Sounds like an amazing bass!

Did I just say "amazing bass?"... how sweet the sound etc.

Unfortunately I can't see the pictures. :(

Bass Juju

Postby Bass Juju » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:33 pm

Updated the photo links. Hopefully it will work better now.
Brian Bromberg B25
JB5

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:35 pm

Oh my goodness!
All out win right there!!!!!

Enjoy!
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:39 pm

Nice! :applause: always great to see more Brombergs, especially ones with so much personality and mojo. Such a killer top too.
Congrats and enjoy :rockon:
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:40 pm

Sweet bass right there. Congratulations! :)
SH645
V440T
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:00 pm

Wow! So much character in that quilt - what a winner! :applause:
CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

Brian Bromberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Brian Bromberg » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:12 pm

Wow what a beautiful bass! I have a B24 with the same Deep Moss Green over quilt, and I love it! Congratulations! I hope you get years of low end love playing it! Send more pics and I will post them on the B2 Bass Facebook page. All the best.........Brian

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:48 pm

:shock:

Wow. That is a stunner.

Congrats!

Tone report once she settles in, please.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:47 pm

Moss Green is a perfect B2 color.

Gotta love it when Brian himself, comments on your new bass day :applause: :rockon:

Bass Juju

Postby Bass Juju » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:51 am

Brian Bromberg wrote:Wow what a beautiful bass! I have a B24 with the same Deep Moss Green over quilt, and I love it! Congratulations! I hope you get years of low end love playing it! Send more pics and I will post them on the B2 Bass Facebook page. All the best.........Brian

Thanks so much for the reply and the awesome bass design! I hope one day I can play it half as well you you play yours. It was your video describing why the B2 series is engineered as it is that sold me on the bass. I fell hard for the green and the purple was a close second. Really close. The ergonomics are awesome as you mentioned. I played it for about 3 hour yesterday and it was the most comfortable bass I've ever held. It just fits and is effortless to hold. The tone is amazing as well. I am thinking the radius on the pups have a lot to do with that as well as the neck-thru design. I could go on and on. I hope to order another with frets in the not too distant future. This time, I am thinking flame maple top in a natural or vintage burst with a Royal ebony fretboard and gold hardware. Hmmm... may be closer than I thought!

I will get some action shots at the next practice and send those along. I am also hoping the BL recorded some the tracks where I played this past Tuesday so I can share on sound cloud. Love it and thanks again!
Brian Bromberg B25
JB5

NeoShred

Postby NeoShred » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:54 pm

That's gorgeous. Congrats!!

Praiser
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Praiser » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:54 pm

Wow! The color on that top looks totally unique and nothing like any shade of green that I've seen from this company. Not sure if it's a true representation of the color or not though.
Great looking build all around!
I'm curious about the D'addario tapes instead of the LaBellas that kiesel uses for their AC40 and 50 line.
Any particular reason why you prefer them? I curious because I almost went with the tapes on my BK50 fretless but ended up sticking with the flats. I've used their LaBella tapes on other basses, though...

Anyhoo, Congrats and enjoy that beauty!
John

LB75AP, LB70P, X54F, BK50, BK50F, BK40, C780
PB100, PB200 (With BX500 head and 1x15 ext Cab)
XP1000L, LM153s, LS1801A
Rogue Fretless, Ibanez ABG, Dobro Bass
Peavey Fury P Bass

Brian Bromberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Brian Bromberg » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:55 pm

Bass JuJu, my pleasure. I have to tell you that when people "get" what's behind the bass design and want to buy the bass, it truly means something to me. I take it very personally as this bass has been a part of my life since 1981 when I drew out the first version of the shape sitting on the floor of my San Diego Apt. I'm not even sure if I had any furniture in those days!

The other cool thing is that what was "Carvin Guitars" now "Kiesel Guitars" believed in me and the bass design enough to put their company and family name on my bass model. I don't take that lightly either as they didn't have to do that. The end result is that the B24 and B25 basses have never been better. "Kiesel Guitar's" workmanship and price point for a USA made instrument is truly second to none in the industry.

I played a B24 and a B25 at the NAMM show last week and both of those basses totally blew me away. In fact I asked them to send them to me so I can check out the new pick-ups and new builds from their new facility. I can't wait to record them and play them on stage.

FYI, I am working on a new CD now that will heavily feature the B2 Basses and I can't wait to get in the studio to cut my "real" parts with the new builds. Thanks again, film at 11!..............B2

twilightdusk
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby twilightdusk » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:34 pm

Wow, that's a great looking bass! Them brombergs are a great design and the radiused pickups are really nice for getting consistant output without changing plucking.
2001 dc127C
2005 bolt kit
2010 dc727
2011 BK50
2016 X54
v3m + 112V GT12
X100B series IV

Bass Juju

Postby Bass Juju » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:41 am

Praiser wrote:Wow! The color on that top looks totally unique and nothing like any shade of green that I've seen from this company. Not sure if it's a true representation of the color or not though.
I'm curious about the D'addario tapes instead of the LaBellas that kiesel uses for their AC40 and 50 line.
Any particular reason why you prefer them? I curious because I almost went with the tapes on my BK50 fretless but ended up sticking with the flats. I've used their LaBella tapes on other basses, though...

The color is the Moss green and it varies over the body based on the wood underneath as you can see the back looks much different than the front. When it is in good bright lighting it pops like in the photos. When it is in more normal deflected light it looks much darker and gentle. When I first opened the case, slowly, I was amazed at how much the color changed as the case shadow rolled away. Maybe it is the chatoyance of the wood that makes that happen, but whatever it is, it pops. I only cropped the photos from my iPhone.

I chose the tapes because I like tapes and had a set of D'addarios on the shelf that I originally bought for the Ibanez that I returned. Ibanez is the worst, but that is another post. In searching for an American made 5 string fretless I found Brian's videos on YouTube and knew that it was the one. Kiesel's reputation sealed the deal. Since there didn't seem to be a tape option when building the bass, and none presented during the order process, it was an easy decision to send mine in.

FWIW, I have liked every set of D'addarios I've ever played. I have liked LaBella sets, but not all, and have a set of their black nylon tapes on a Gretsch hollow body. They are OK,very dark and thuddy, and I am probably going to replace them with a set of rounds in the near future-- either D'addario nickel or DR Pure Blues. I have a set of LaBella Green Hornet limited edition strings that I am considering putting on another bass that is also green. They are essentially white nylon tapes with a green and gold thread running in a spiral.

Maybe more info than you wanted.
Last edited by Bass Juju on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Bromberg B25
JB5

Brian Bromberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Brian Bromberg » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Info is a good thing. Being armed with knowledge can only help us get through life making better and smarter decisions, even when it comes down to what strings we like and why!
Last edited by Brian Bromberg on Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Praiser
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Praiser » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:53 pm

Bass Juju wrote:
Praiser wrote:Wow! The color on that top looks totally unique and nothing like any shade of green that I've seen from this company. Not sure if it's a true representation of the color or not though.

The color is the Moss green and it varies over the body based on the wood underneath as you can see the back looks much different than the front. When it is in good bright lighting it pops like in the photos. When it is in more normal deflected light it looks much darker and gentle. When I first opened the case, slowly, I was amazed at how much the color changed as the case shadow rolled away. Maybe it is the chatoyance of the wood that makes that happen, but whatever it is, it pops. I only cropped the photos from my iPhone.

I chose the tapes because I like tapes and had a set of D'addarios on the shelf that I originally bought for the Ibanez that I returned. Ibanez is the worst, but that is another post. In searching for an American made 5 string fretless I found Brian's videos on YouTube and new that it was the one. Kiesel's reputation sealed the deal. Since there didn't seem to be a tape option when building the bass, and none presented during the order process, it was an easy decision to send mine in.

FWIW, I have liked every set of D'addarios I've ever played. I have liked LaBella sets, but not all, and have a set of their black nylon tapes on a Gretsch hollow body. They are OK,very dark and thuddy, and I am probably going to replace them with a set of rounds in the near future-- either D'addario nickel or DR Pure Blues. I have a set of LaBella Green Hornet limited edition strings that I am considering putting on another bass that is also green. They are essentially white nylon tapes with a green and gold thread running in a spiral.

Maybe more info than you wanted.

More info is always better in my book too, as Brian said.

They only offer the labella tapes with the AC40-50 so you have to call in and ask for them. Also, there's a questionable opinion that they don't work with magnetic pups. The steel core has always worked for me and I've used them on a wide range of basses from a Dobro bass to a no-name import 5er to my LB75AP with good to great results across them all.

I like the idea of the daddario tapes being brighter so I may have to give them a spin on the BK50F I built last year. I love their half-wound strings so would expect to like their other offerings as well.

The Green Hornets sound really cool looking and would probably POP on your new bass. :D

Thanks again for the info!!
John

LB75AP, LB70P, X54F, BK50, BK50F, BK40, C780
PB100, PB200 (With BX500 head and 1x15 ext Cab)
XP1000L, LM153s, LS1801A
Rogue Fretless, Ibanez ABG, Dobro Bass
Peavey Fury P Bass

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:37 am

This thread is a great one for rereading. Thanks to the OP for putting it out there. Because of his artfully articulated experience, I picked up a B24 from the GIS list a couple of months ago and it is now the only instrument I want to play--even after receiving a previously ordered HH2. I agree that if anyone has been holding back on acquiring a BB, it's never too early to get one. They are very finely-crafted, endlessly playable, gorgeous instruments. I only wish there were more of them out there in player's hands.

Brian Bromberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Brian Bromberg » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:30 am

Thanks for that Greg. I agree that Kiesel/Carvin did a fantastic job with the bass, and the builders in their factory are second to none! I also wish the B2's were in more players hands as I think they would have the same reaction that you had by the playability of these basses. Maybe we can get Kiesel to try an get some other bass artists besides me playing them? That would mean the world to me! Thanks again for the compliments on the bass and I sure hope you have many years of enjoyment playing it! All the best..... Brian (B2)

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses