SH575 Humbucker routing through 13 pin (GR55 + ElevenRack)

USA Custom Shop MIDI Synth Access Guitars

Moderators: Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb

medialint

SH575 Humbucker routing through 13 pin (GR55 + ElevenRack)

Postby medialint » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:28 pm

I have a new Carvin SH575 and even newer Roland GR55 I'm trying to get married to one another through my ElevenRack.

What I hoped to do was run 13 pin to my GR55 then use the guitar out from the GR55 to go to my ElevenRack guitar in, but I am not getting the pickups just the piezo when I do this routing.

What I am doing instead is running a 1/4" cable from the humbucker out of the 575 to the eleven rack which ultimately does what I want, but what I read I should be able to blend my sounds or choose just piezo or just mag pickups to go to the GR55 guitar output using only the 13 pin cable from the SH575 to the GR55.

Roland's manual isn't too helpful but Carvin's suggests I should be able to do the mix with the guitar controls. I have the split volume working, that controls synth on the top and acoustic on the bottom just like it says, and the acoustic volume affects how much piezo is sent to the output (thus into the eleven rack) but I am not getting any mag pickups. I hoped the humbucker tone, volume, pickup selector and coil splitting would all work as normal and route through the 13pin output and I could control the mix with the acoustic/synth split knob and the humbucker volume knob.

But that is not what is happening. Am I missing something?

It sounds fantastic routing 1/4" mag to the eleven rack and I have the GR55's main output set to Combo Return and coming in to the eleven rack as effect returns with my effects loop at the end of the chain in eleven rack's sequence, this seems to be a good setup for me but puzzled by the lack of mag output from the GR55. It almost seems as if it's deliberately disabled on 13 pin as folks describe doing as a mod but I sure didn't specify that in my order and I haven't done that myself.

On GR55 Edit > System > Guitar Out Source is set to Normal PU, I tried Patch which made no difference. Modeling seems to be working off only the piezo as well.

Bottom line is my humbucker switches and knobs do nothing unless I go out the 1/4" on my guitar. I don't seem to get any mag in the mix of any of the GR55 presets either and I've scrolled through them all.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Barnacle Bob
Carvinite
Carvinite

re: SH575 Humbucker routing through 13 pin (GR55 + ElevenRac

Postby Barnacle Bob » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:14 pm

IIRC, the stacked volume knobs are for the 1/4" piezo jack and the piezo portion of the mixed pickup output at the TMS 13-pin connector.

You'd use the outer knob on that stacked control to adjust the piezo volume out the 13-pin connector, and the humbucker volume (the knob closest to the bridge) for the mag volume out the 13-pin connector. On mine, the piezo is much louder, and I have to turn it down to get a good mix out the 13 pin connector.

There are multiple boards in the control cavity, and the connectors on the many connections don't lock. They do come loose sometimes, and the problems have been present for others after shipping. If you have a little screw driver, you can take a look in there.

I can't find a proper manual for it at carvinservice.com, but a call to Carvin should be helpful. Albert will steer you in the right direction, and I'm sure there are others.

Some people treatthe mag and piezo outputs as two signals, with piezos going to maybe a Fishman Aura, then to the PA, while the mags go to a tube amp. I love mixing them, and I'm more interested in a single 13-pin cable and what GraphTech calls a "QuickSwitch' to select mags/piezo/both.

Some folks have poor signal quality from the guitar out jack on the GR-55. I have an Axon, and the signal sounds good to me, so it appears to be the GR55. RMC has a mod for the GR55 that's supposed to improve tracking too. I don't know if Roland has done anything about it in their recent shipments.

medialint

Postby medialint » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:38 am

Thanks Bob the way you describe is how I thought it should work too but it doesn't. I will call them Monday or Tuesday with a screwdriver at hand I thought I'd try to debug on my end first but it does sound like something may have jostled loose on the truck. I took the plate off and had a look but didn't see anything obviously wrong.

medialint

Postby medialint » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:12 pm

Indeed Albert was most helpful. He helped me find the disconnected wire, we hooked it up and now all is right with the world.

Thanks Albert
Thanks Bob
Thanks Carvin

:-)

Jazpur
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jazpur » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:04 pm

older thread but fwiw... I have a SH65, & I wanted more control of the 3 separate tones vs. the mag & piezo blended out of GR55 "guitar out", so I disabled (simply disconnected) the mag snap-on cable from the ghost board inside the cavity, & now the only way to get mag sound is from the main mag output on guitar, which is exactly what I wanted. What I give up is the GR55 modeling/fx features for mag signals, but since I have lots of other options for the mags (2 mag signal chains actually from a A/B/Y splitter to go to 2 diff rigs) I wouldn't use those anyways. BUT since I don't really own other processing options for a piezo, this allows me on the GR55 to only have dedicated piezo acoustic-oriented tones in it's modeling section to go along with synth stuff, never having to consider the mags as part of the GR55 at all. Keeps things simpler.

Also, having separate dedicated small summing mixers with fx (or fx in it's loop) GREATLY helps too. I run a Alesis nanoverb 2 in a small summing mixers' loop for xtra synth / piezo fx, & the main outs of that mixer go to another "main" mixer.

Have fun!
STRANGS:'16 A6, '14 CarvinSH65, '14 MM A. Lee SSS, '13 Bishline D. Barnes, '05 Huss & Dalton 000, '97 Martin D-1.

glennfin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: re: SH575 Humbucker routing through 13 pin (GR55 + ElevenRac

Postby glennfin » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:10 am

medialint wrote:Thanks Bob the way you describe is how I thought it should work too but it doesn't. I will call them Monday or Tuesday with a screwdriver at hand I thought I'd try to debug on my end first but it does sound like something may have jostled loose on the truck. I took the plate off and had a look but didn't see anything obviously wrong.

I had this same issue with my hf2s. The factory did not correctly wire the 13 pin mag pickup signal. I had to go in and make the connection myself. It's been a few years now but i remember having to add a missing jumper. Search on my past posts and you'll find it... I can't search right now but I'll check when i get home later. I'm getting ready to order another hf2s and it's surprising this still hasn't been corrected.
Carvin HH1X
Mesa Express 5:25+ head with Full stack of mini rectifier cabs..

glennfin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: SH575 Humbucker routing through 13 pin (GR55 + ElevenRack)

Postby glennfin » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:26 am

Ha!.... i see you already have a fix.... that's what i get for posting from my smart phone... :mrgreen:
Carvin HH1X

Mesa Express 5:25+ head with Full stack of mini rectifier cabs..

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars MIDI Synth Instruments