Custom Slant BKPs in a Vader Multiscale?

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Shizaffizle

Custom Slant BKPs in a Vader Multiscale?

Postby Shizaffizle » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:19 am

Hi all,
I'm looking into swapping my Lithiums in my VM8 with BKP Painkillers. I've contacted BKP who stated they can custom slant the set to 11 Degrees (confirmed VM8 slant from my own research) for about $25 per pickup. BKP also stated that their pickups are slightly "shorter" and "wider" than the Lithiums, and I would have to drill new mounting holes and widen the body cavity slightly.

My other research into this shows that while I will have to drill new mounting holes (which I'm fine with), I may not have to widen the cavity, which is my biggest concern. Has anyone here ever dealt with custom slanted BKPs in their Vaders? I'm holding off on buying until I can know for sure if I will need to modify my Vader like that as I have no experience, and don't want to body mod my already beautiful guitar.

Thanks for any input!

ilyti
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Custom Slant BKPs in a Vader Multiscale?

Postby ilyti » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:04 pm

Shizaffizle wrote:Hi all,
BKP also stated that their pickups are slightly "shorter" and "wider" than the Lithiums

I have no experience with the slanted versions. However, this statement is definitely true also of the normal versions. Yet, I had no problem whatsoever installing 7 string BKP Mules in my Aries. The width fits a little more snugly than the Lithiums did, but it was not necessary to widen the cavity. Kiesel leave a little bit of wiggle room in the cavity and the guys at BKP may not be aware of this.
If the angled baseplates are just a little wider than the cavity allows, it may be possible to file them to fit rather than widening the the cavity on the guitar. Or you could wait until you get the guitar, send them the Lithiums and have them do a re-wind to the specs of whatever BKP model you want (Painkillers was it?). They will use their own wires and magnets, only the "shell" would be the Kiesel stuff. But if it was me, I'd probably just go with option 1.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:38 pm

I know you said you found it, so I'll just put this here, in a thread about this exact topic, so it's easy for anyone to find. Here are the angles of the Kiesel Multiscale pickup routes and pickups :):

6 string = 10.2304 degrees
7 string = 13.339 degrees
8 string = 11.0186 degrees

Shizaffizle

Postby Shizaffizle » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:36 am

ilyti wrote:
Shizaffizle wrote:Hi all,
BKP also stated that their pickups are slightly "shorter" and "wider" than the Lithiums

I have no experience with the slanted versions. However, this statement is definitely true also of the normal versions. Yet, I had no problem whatsoever installing 7 string BKP Mules in my Aries. The width fits a little more snugly than the Lithiums did, but it was not necessary to widen the cavity. Kiesel leave a little bit of wiggle room in the cavity and the guys at BKP may not be aware of this.
If the angled baseplates are just a little wider than the cavity allows, it may be possible to file them to fit rather than widening the the cavity on the guitar. Or you could wait until you get the guitar, send them the Lithiums and have them do a re-wind to the specs of whatever BKP model you want (Painkillers was it?). They will use their own wires and magnets, only the "shell" would be the Kiesel stuff. But if it was me, I'd probably just go with option 1.

Perfect answer, just what I needed!
I have however decided (after playing a friend's Krashburn with some, and endless reviews) to go with some custom Instrumental Pickups, which Ethan at Instrumental can make for any slant, which the 11 degrees is no issue. The SFTY-3's he makes bring more clarity than the BKP Painkillers, without sounding so hot, which is exactly what I need.

I love the Lithiums in my UltraV, but in my VM8, the lower strings just always sound muffled and washed out no matter what rig I run them through.

Return to Tech Talk