Fretboard radius advice

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: JesseM, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb

jclaudio

Fretboard radius advice

Postby jclaudio » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:41 am

It's been about two months since my first ordered kiesel arrived and I have to say what a guitar. Mike was very helpful in the ordering process and I thank him for that. When it came to the fretboard radius I was looking for a low action feel so I figured the 20 inch radius would suit me but when it was all said and done the 14 inch was ordered. The kiesel fretboard radii guide mentions 7 string guitars have the 14 inch radius 'no optional radius available '. Can someone explain this part to me? Don't get me wrong the 14 works just wondering why one can't get a 20 inch radius on an Aries.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Fretboard radius advice

Postby colossal » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:54 am

I don't know why that would be because the Chris Letchford 7 string CL7 and Holdsworth HH7 both have a 20" radius standard.

maxpower
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby maxpower » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:38 pm

I just read the fretboard radius guide and it says "7 string guitars and 5 & 6 string basses also have a 14" radius (no optional radius available)."

On the Aries A7 page, it says 14" is standard but that 20" is offered. The online builder has 14" as standard and 20" optional.
CT4M, DC127, Bolt (kit), CL7

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:28 pm

The "general" guides get updated much less often than the individual instrument pages. I would put more weight behind what you see on the specific model's spec pages.

PO0784

Postby PO0784 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:24 am

hi there, indeed you can... I ordered an Aries 7 with the hipshot. 20'' radius as an option :).

jclaudio

Postby jclaudio » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:46 pm

I called Kiesel and asked if they would do a replacement neck in this case a 20 inch fretboard radius and they would do it. It's almost half the price of my A7. If I go forward with it they would build it, sent it to me and I would bolt on the neck myself.
What do you guys think? Order the neck or just order another A7 with the 20 inch radius and be done with it. These guitars are cut with a precise machine so I shouldn't have an issue bolting in a neck right?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:56 pm

Well, the way I see it, you're spending a lot of money on a new neck,and, honestly, i'm not sure there's that much of a market for Aries necks, is there? So you're out the money you spent on the guitar, plus the cost of the new neck. I can't say for certain, but the new neck probably won't have a logo on it, since their kits and necks don't come with logos. I don't know, but I imagine a Kiesel without a logo would take an even bigger-than-normal-for-carvin/kiesel resale hit.

If you get a new guitar, you can just sell your old one. If you take a $400 hit, you break even. If it's more, how much more is worth it to equate to your time and effort to swap them...and what if it needs some fine-tuning? Perhaps you're comfortable with the task, and it's no big deal.

Just my 2cents.

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:07 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Well, the way I see it, you're spending a lot of money on a new neck,and, honestly, i'm not sure there's that much of a market for Aries necks, is there? So you're out the money you spent on the guitar, plus the cost of the new neck. I can't say for certain, but the new neck probably won't have a logo on it, since their kits and necks don't come with logos. I don't know, but I imagine a Kiesel without a logo would take an even bigger-than-normal-for-carvin/kiesel resale hit.

If you get a new guitar, you can just sell your old one. If you take a $400 hit, you break even. If it's more, how much more is worth it to equate to your time and effort to swap them...and what if it needs some fine-tuning? Perhaps you're comfortable with the task, and it's no big deal.

Just my 2cents.

They could buy the other neck, keep the original one safe, and if/when the guitar goes up for sale, put it up with the original neck in place, and have no wear on it, with the 2nd neck as a spare/beater neck. I doubt that would hit the resale value at all. Heck, I'd buy a guitar like that.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Return to Tech Talk