Wood Specifications

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Wood Specifications

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:49 am

Sounds pretty good to me. I do think you need to take into account the thickness of the maple top as far as solving any balance concerns - there's not a lot of wood there to change the weight.

Srini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Srini » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:07 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:Sounds pretty good to me. I do think you need to take into account the thickness of the maple top as far as solving any balance concerns - there's not a lot of wood there to change the weight.

That's very true, although it's not a lever I have!I think I've done the best I can with weight distribution....

Srini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Srini » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:38 pm

I ran into a very interesting video that pretty much corroborates Cow's ambivalence about tone woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1k9W9QAgE0&t=2324s

If we disregarded the effect on tone and went for practical considerations, would an ebony FB be heavier enough than rosewood to impact balance?

Srini

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:36 pm

Nope. Unless you have a fretless with a steel, glass, or ceramic fingerboard, there's just not enough wood to matter.

Srini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Srini » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:38 pm

So...no impact on weight, no impact on tone....definite positive impact on feel....ebony it is, then!

Return to Tech Talk