Getting A Grip On Your Pick...

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

AxRookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Getting A Grip On Your Pick...

Postby AxRookie » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:34 am

I have been looking for something that would let me get a better grip on a pick that keeps it from moving around and needing to keep readjusting the pick position while at the same time hold the pick lightly and I finally found something that works very well.

I had tried double-sided tape before but it ended up making my fingers sticky and the adhesive would get pretty slimy pretty quickly from the oils from my fingers and add to that the tape would pick up all kinds of debris so that was a bust, but it gave me an idea one night...

Try 3M's VHB double-sided foam tape a try, it's 1mm thick and it grips in a different way than other tapes...

This is 3M's description of their VHB tape...
3M VHB Tape consists of a durable acrylic adhesive with viscoelastic properties. This provides an extraordinarily strong double-sided foam tape that adheres to a broad range of substrates with a Pressure-sensitive adhesive bond on contact to provide immediate handling strength.

So I gave it a try and for me, it works great, since it's 1mm thick it makes the pick thicker at wherever you apply it which make the pick easier to hang on to using a little grip and just by feel alone you can tell which way the pick tip is facing, the adhesive doesn't get too sticky or slimy because it's viscoelastic, it doesn't pick up all kinds of debris because it is Pressure-sensitive, and it doesn't make me fingers sticky because it isn't really a sticky kind of adhesive with skin and if anything it cleans my fingers after using it and at the same time if you hang onto it for a few seconds it starts to grip your fingers in a good way that keeps the pick from moving around between your fingers!
It's weird how good it works, I just put a strip of it on both sides of the pick and that's it...

Here's a short video clip talking about how it works...

https://youtu.be/mVUfV-_sNmc

Naked Ape
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Getting A Grip On Your Pick...

Postby Naked Ape » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:55 am

You might like these.
Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 3.48.37 AM.png

I was given one to try, and I liked it. I never bought more, because I don't really have any issues with standard picks. Although....
I may 'Pick' up a few to have around. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AxRookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby AxRookie » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:02 am

For me the flat surface of a pick and even the textured picks that I've tried ( I haven't tried picks like cats tongue yet) and picks with holes haven't worked as good as this VHB does for me, but that's just me, what also makes it good to get a good grip while still holding the pick lightly is it very thin acrylic foam center which raises the clingy part above the pick which you can cut it to any shape you like and put it anywhere on the pick you like and unlike skin wherever you put it stay put great because grabs like hell once it's been on something for a day but it's just not like that with skin...You can get small pieces of VHB on ebay for next to nothing to try it out for yourself, Some of you might like it and others not so much, Who knows??? I'm just throwing it out there since it's working so good for me...

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:10 am

Naked Ape wrote:You might like these.

I really liked the Cool Picks with the sandpaper texture, but the big "346" style I like is almost impossible to find in music stores around here (in any brand other than Fender medium). Some reviewers say the texture wears off, but I haven't experienced that.

Before the sandpapery ones, Cool Picks made some with little nubbins of soft material, almost like tiny dots of rubber cement or something - those were virtually impossible to drop, but the nubbins would eventually wear off, long before the pick was otherwise worn down enough to discard.

These look interesting...
monstergrips.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AxRookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby AxRookie » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:14 pm

For $9.95 I'm going to give them a try for sure! They sound great! :rockon:

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:16 am

I used Gorilla Snot (pine sap, I believe) years ago, but it was tough to wash off and hardened over the years. It would also fall off and coat/kill the strings. Something else, quite similar, exists, and the acoustic player at my church calls it "sticky pick," though I've not seen anything under that name. It's kind of a gel, and leave little on the fingers, but still transfers to the strings.

The main thing is that I wish a company would make a sticky Jazz III shape. I don't have a huge problem holding onto the ultex or carbon ones, but it could be improved. I don't play regular picks much at all; too in-the-way.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

AxRookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby AxRookie » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:30 am

I don't want anything sticky or tacky, I like grippy so at times I can hold the pick with a light grip and the pick doesn't get pushed around, That the only way I can describe it...

Return to Tech Talk