Adjusting PU Height

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Adjusting PU Height

Postby Omsong » Wed May 10, 2017 10:28 pm

Maybe the process of adjusting PU heights is obvious once you've done it, but I've never messed with them. I'm considering getting an HH2 with direct mounted pickups (no mounting rings). How would I adjust these pickup (or, for that matter, any other) heights?

Thanks!
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

freakofnature
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Adjusting PU Height

Postby freakofnature » Thu May 11, 2017 5:55 am

WITH pickup rings, there's a spring in between the ring and the pickup mount that creates tension between the 2. When you tighten the screw it pulls the pickup up, when you loosen the screws the springs push the pickup down.

WITHOUT the pickup rings, the springs are between the pickup mount and the body of the guitar (underneath the pickups) so when you tighten the screw it pulls the pickup down and when you loosen the screws the springs lift the pickup up.

Hope that made sense. :)

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu May 11, 2017 6:56 am

freakofnature wrote:WITH pickup rings, there's a spring in between the ring and the pickup mount that creates tension between the 2. When you tighten the screw it pulls the pickup up, when you loosen the screws the springs push the pickup down.

WITHOUT the pickup rings, the springs are between the pickup mount and the body of the guitar (underneath the pickups) so when you tighten the screw it pulls the pickup down and when you loosen the screws the springs lift the pickup up.

Hope that made sense. :)

I understood it. :mrgreen:
Aries A6H, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Thu May 11, 2017 8:27 am

Thanks freakofnature!
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Thu May 11, 2017 9:00 am

Also, Adjusting pickup height is one of the most important things you can do to improve your tone. Many players (especially youngsters and fans of high-gain sound) crank their pups up too close to the strings - this reduces the definition and muddles the output.

Lowering my pickups some was one of the best tricks I ever learned to get a better tone. Experiment until you get a sound you like!

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Thu May 11, 2017 10:20 am

Casual Madman wrote:Also, Adjusting pickup height is one of the most important things you can do to improve your tone. Many players (especially youngsters and fans of high-gain sound) crank their pups up too close to the strings - this reduces the definition and muddles the output.

Lowering my pickups some was one of the best tricks I ever learned to get a better tone. Experiment until you get a sound you like!

This! ^^. Very well stated Madman.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri May 12, 2017 6:10 am

It's especially true of single coils, since the poles are usually the magnets. This is not as true with modern singles that have magnets on the bottom, and use (typically) ferrormagnetic poles that are not magnets themselves.

Blade pickups also tend to have a more even, and often narrower, magnetic field, so they can be put a little closer. Too close with any pickup, and it can not only cause a lack of sustain, but also can deflect the string enough to pull it out of tune. This is sometimes called "Stratitis," (which, as tangential conversation, seems a bit of a misnomer as the suffix "itis," is used for inflamed, or swollen things) when people have the pickups on a strat too close to the strings.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Return to Tech Talk