LB70P - broken truss rod

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

iamthewalrus

LB70P - broken truss rod

Postby iamthewalrus » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:11 am

The truss rod on my new (to me) LB70P will not turn clockwise to take the bow out of the neck.
I took it a local luthier and he was able to loosen it, but when he tried to tighten the rod, the adjustment nut unthreaded itself from the truss rod.
I'm bummed, because the bass is beautiful and sounds awesome.
Is there anything I can do, or am I stuck?
Thanks in advance.....

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: LB70P - broken truss rod

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:31 pm

Do you have any pictures of how it looks now? The older ones used a hex-head bolt that required a small wrench, and were dual-action as well. I've heard of some snapping (on basses each time, surprisingly), but haven't heard of one coming off the threads.

I'm not as familiar with the later allen-wrench type that are also-dual action (and seem to have less friction than the earlier ones).

Pictures are worth much in this case, even with any broken off, or unthreaded parts. If it's a simple unthreading of something, it should be able to be screwed back on, but if the rod itself broken internally, that's going to be a fairly expensive fix in the form of lifting off the fretboard and installing a new rod, gluing the fretboard down again, and possibly leveling/refretting as needed (one would hope not). Just ungluing the fretboard will take time, heat, and possibly steam to get it to loosen and lift off. Loosening any glue joint is a pain.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:54 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote: Loosening any glue joint is a pain.

I wish I saved a link, but last week or so I watched a video of someone using a thin-kerf bandsaw to cut the fretboard free, taking away only .025" of material which could easily by taken up by new frets. That took a stable and "true" fence, a secure jig, and balls of iron. :lol: I worked up a sweat just watching the video.

Praiser
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Praiser » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:30 am

spudmunkey wrote:

I wish I saved a link, but last week or so I watched a video of someone using a thin-kerf bandsaw to cut the fretboard free, taking away only .025" of material which could easily by taken up by new frets. That took a stable and "true" fence, a secure jig, and balls of iron. :lol: I worked up a sweat just watching the video.

:shock: :shock: :naughty: :applause:
That would be enough to cause a double-pucker on a bolt on guitar neck.
A through neck bass is a whole 'nother ball game though.
Kudos to whoever did that video, and I haven't even seen it.

OP, please share some pics as there are some knowledgeable folks around here (and other forums as well) that may be able to help you save this bass. Best of luck either way!
John

LB75AP, LB70P, X54F, BK50, BK50F, BK40, C780
PB100, PB200 (With BX500 head and 1x15 ext Cab)
XP1000L, LM153s, LS1801A
Rogue Fretless, Ibanez ABG, Dobro Bass
Peavey Fury P Bass

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:19 am

spudmunkey wrote:

By that point, I would've considered the fretboard a lost cause, cut it off, cleaned the neck up with new truss rod, removed any old glue, and then applied a new fretboard, and new frets.

....or I would have recut the nut, lowered the bridge slightly, and adjusted pickups to account for the change.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Return to Tech Talk