what´s the year of my DC400

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

germaug

what´s the year of my DC400

Postby germaug » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi, bought this guitar but i dont know the year, the serial is 57894

https://imgur.com/mFro3gQ

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: what´s the year of my DC400

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:29 pm

If you noodle around the Carvin museum, there's a serial number guide for estimating the date. It's not right on the money with those era guitars, not like a Gibson or something like that where there's a strict tracking system with exact dates. But when I plugged mine in it got the right year.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:39 pm

Judging by only that picture, here is my guess.

C22 pickups by the look, with 3 screw bezels. Wide 1 screw truss rod cover.

Those two things make me think 98 to 2004, especially the truss cover. You can also call Kiesel and provide the serial number, which will give you an exact date, and original options list.

You can also do a Google search on the serial number, and if it was ever an in stock model, it should show up.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:41 pm

Due to the amount of customization available on Carvin guitars, identifying the specific model can sometimes be difficult. Serial numbers can be of some help in narrowing down the possible guitar models available for any given year, but the most accurate method of making the determination, particularly on a guitar where the serial number is not known, is by looking at the woods, hardware, and headstock, and then seeing what models from what year fit that criteria. Serial number information for Carvin instruments is scarce, and bass guitars were serialized right along with guitars:

Guitar Identification Matrix

Bass Identification Guide

Amplifier Identification Guide

lowest known
serial number highest known
serial number
1970 - 1979 5000 10019
1980 - 1983 10768 15919
1984 - 1987 13666 25332
1988 - 1990 22731 25683
1991 - 1994 25359 42547
1995 - 1999 45879 81427
2000 - present 56162 ~95000

Extrapolation of serial numbers is practically impossible, and the numbers themselves have no logical order. For example, a TL60 made in 2002 has a serial number of 63663, while a Bolt made in 2000 has a serial number of 82398, and an LB70 made in 1998 has a serial number of 63094. These examples are actual serial numbers, as well, and are only one example of the randomness of Carvin's serial number schema, especially from 1995 to the present.

Guitars and basses prior to 1970 did not have serial numbers. 1970 was the first year, and the serial number sequence began with 5000 (versus something like 0001). Unlike most other manufacturers' serial numbers, there are no hidden "codes" in a Carvin serial number that indicate year or month of production, or anything else. They are, essentially, a random number.

Carvin serial numbers can be located in several different places. Older models, up through the late 1990's, had the serial number on the jackplate. However, models with rounded body sides had jacks with no plates, so these serial numbers are located on the fretboard. There's an exception to this, as well - maple fingerboards. Because maple (and birdseye maple) cannot be stamped with a serial number like ebony can, a model with rounded body side (and therefore, no jackplate) with a maple fingerboard would have the serial number on the control cavity cover plate. Models from the 1970s with a bolt-on neck could have the serial number located on the neck plate, as well.

Carvin does not keep an accurate database of serial numbers, and cannot provide any information based solely on a serial number. Because many of the guitars they produce are custom orders, the serial numbers flow as the orders are received, therefore, sequential serial numbers could represent any model guitar or bass.

So, the best details to look at in narrowing down possible Carvin production years are logo style, neck, headstock shape, bridge, tuners and body construction. Still, determining the actual model year can sometimes be very tricky, but by paying close attention to these details, a good educated guess can be made.

More info http://www.carvinmuseum.com/whatmodelguitar.html
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

germaug

Postby germaug » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:50 am

people, thanks so much, team of Kiesel answer me, and the was building in september of 1998

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:31 am

germaug wrote:people, thanks so much, team of Kiesel answer me, and the was building in september of 1998

That truss rod cover does not lie :mrgreen:

I personally love the late 90s/early 2000s years with the blocky graphite nut (not the later, sculpted ones). Yours also has a graphite-reinforced neck (first year of them). Very good neck dimensions, and I do find them a little different than the mid 2000s years, when the nuts were sculpted and trust rod cover skinnied down.

I measured my '03 DC 135 vs various Bolts, DC127, and other models from later years....and the slightly earlier years were wider, and also worked with a VS100 Wilki (rambling, I know).

Glad you found it out!
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:21 am

Nice!

I always found their scattered approach to serial numbers baffling. I truly get the idea that these are not PRE built en masse in like lots, with batches logged in serial number clots like a Gibson, a Gretsch, a fender. Totally get it and fully understood. But I've never seen the assignation of serial numbers to Instruments used almost as a simple, casual proof of purchase in the moment without future traceability with exactitude. All it ever required was assignation of number groups to specific models, and within that, sequences either logged and tracked, or preselected to begin and end within a time block.

Or, log them as you build them and... Keep that info searchable.

I'm glad it worked out. It fell within the brackets of their estimated time brackets and here they were able to peg it to the month. Maybe they've set someone to the task of doing data entry of all the existing logs to create a searchable s/n# database. :applause:

(And good eyeballs, cow!)
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Return to Tech Talk