Magnets on Vader Trem?

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Les Knopflerongo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Magnets on Vader Trem?

Postby Les Knopflerongo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:24 am

Hello everyone, long time no speak! So, I am loving my V6X, but I've come to realize I really do not like the way the trem arm was designed to attach. It's either too loose or too tight, plus the whole metal on metal thing with the screw. So, I've got a question: do you think I could attach a small magnet to the end of the arm, and another to the bottom of the hole? Seems like that would allow it to stay in while still swiveling and being easy to remove. Or might the magnets mess with the pickups/electronics?
My Band: http://www.facebook.com/therainydaysduo - Acoustic Pop, Folk, and Jazz Covers

/Y\

Re: Magnets on Vader Trem?

Postby /Y\ » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:47 am

I think magnet idea has merit. I improved the Vader trem arm attachment by switching the metal set screw for a nylon screw (threads are 8-32), but it still tends to loosen up over time. I actually have some small neodymium magnets on hand, about the dia of the trem arm, and one of these could be epoxied to the end. They are amazingly powerful.

I doubt the magnet would affect the pups. I always thought magnetic fields fall off with the square of the distance, but after reading a bit on this it is true only in line with the poles. Perpendicular to the poles (as would be the case here) the field can fall off even faster, up to 1/d^3. Depends on the geometry of the magnet. In any event, I think this is completely a non issue.

Thanks for the idea, I may just give it a try! Of course, this assumes the bridge material is in fact ferromagnetic, which I haven't tested.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:11 am

/Y\ wrote:Of course, this assumes the bridge material is in fact ferromagnetic, which I haven't tested.

Ahh...that's a great point. I suppose there could be a way to also epoxy a ferromagnetic steel disc at the bottom (use a tacky putty to hold it to the end of a stick/dowel/something you can stick down the hole, with the epoxy on the back of the disk, then lower it into the hole, let the epoxy cure, then pull up on the stick and hope the putty comes with the stick, and doesn't stay stuck to the steel disc. :wall: OK, I'm sure there's a better way that that, and it's all moot if that part of the bridge is magnetic. :)
Last edited by spudmunkey on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:37 pm

Sounds like a good idea To me..

Les Knopflerongo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Les Knopflerongo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:43 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I'm definitely going to try it. Also, i just checked, and it seems like the only magnetic part of the bridge are the saddles.
My Band: http://www.facebook.com/therainydaysduo - Acoustic Pop, Folk, and Jazz Covers

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:44 am

Is there no nylon bushing that the trem arm sits in, like the original Contour trem? If not...what the heck?
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

MarkusB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarkusB » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:09 pm

I've found a low-tech workaround while I was building a custom (i.e. much shorter) tremolo arm for my hipshot HH. I used a metric 6mm mild steel round bar to shape the new arm, then wrapped it with an heat-shrinkable sleeve. With the appropriate sleeve, the 6.00 mm arm just fits into the 0.25" (that is, 6.35 mm) smoothbore hole with sufficient grip to stay where I put it. I had to try 2-3 types of sleeve until I've found one that is sufficiently thick and rough... I don't even need to push the set screw against the bar, the friction on the rubber-y sleeve is enough for it to stay put. I expect the sleeve to wear out eventually (but there's no sign of wear after approx. 2 months of use), but if that happens, it will take 5 minutes to take the old sleeve away and put a new one on. It works for me!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:32 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:Is there no nylon bushing that the trem arm sits in, like the original Contour trem? If not...what the heck?

If that was on the "original Contour trem", Hipshot must have changed it at some point even on their own version as it appears that the current arm is merely a smooth, bent, steel bar.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:02 pm

Les Knopflerongo wrote:Hello everyone, long time no speak! So, I am loving my V6X, but I've come to realize I really do not like the way the trem arm was designed to attach. It's either too loose or too tight, plus the whole metal on metal thing with the screw. So, I've got a question: do you think I could attach a small magnet to the end of the arm, and another to the bottom of the hole? Seems like that would allow it to stay in while still swiveling and being easy to remove. Or might the magnets mess with the pickups/electronics?

Agree 100%

The trem arm as the single reason i returned mine.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:23 pm

The one I have looks the same as the picture you posted, Spud. The bushing isn't visible from the top, but is just inside. But, if people are talking about metal-on-metal wear, I'm wondering if Hipshot either removed it, somehow it was missing at the factory, or the grub screw went through the bushing. The material in mine is translucent white nylon.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Return to Tech Talk