GK-1 Kit - done.

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: GK-1 Kit - FINISHED!!

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:32 pm

Nice!
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Original Cowbell!

Re: GK-1 Kit - FINISHED!!

Postby Original Cowbell! » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Very cool! Nice job!

camperband
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: GK-1 Kit - still at it!

Postby camperband » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:28 am

Decided to go for a P90-S-P90 layout. Sold all the AP11's and got Benson Custom P90's (an a middle single coil that has not yet shipped)

Started drilling the pickguard for teh neck P90 and almost immediately, the acrylic broke. Granted, I had read someone's warning on the subject on another forum. I still thought, maybe if I do it carefully... nah. Acrylic is not the material to go with; whatever your project. Unless you buy one with the intention of using "as is".
2018-03-18 18.53.29.jpg

here is how the guitar will look until the replacement pickguard arrives from China (yup, the only vendor I found that sells unrouted pickguards at a cheap price.) Looks bad, but sounds glorious. The Bolt is DEFINITELY the best guitar for a NECK P90, by far!!!

2018-03-18 18.53.21.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: GK-1 Kit - still at it !!

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:43 pm

Before you do any actual modifications to the pickguard, I'm sure you already know this, but do a reality check on the fitment. I bought 3 pickguards that were all supposed to be Fender Stratocaster pickguards. I bought one of them from my local Guitar Center in Fender retail packaging, and two others were knock-offs. And all three were different sizes from each other.

camperband
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby camperband » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:39 pm

spudmunkey wrote:do a reality check on the fitment. I bought 3 pickguards that were all supposed to be Fender Stratocaster pickguards.

Thanks for the tip. Yes, I've been prepared for it. The clear acrylic pickguard was a very close match with only a few screws a bit off. I just re-drilled them on the body.

The pickguard I found (eBay, shipping from China...eeek!) has only 4 holes and no routs. It should give me the legroom to adjust fitment. The P90's do have a quirky placement in the Bolt body, one cant buy a pre-made P90 strat pickguard because the pickup placement in the Bolt is just off by quite a few millimiters.

This is what I bought:
pickguard.jpeg

Will report on the condition/quality when (if) it arrives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:35 pm

Cool. For me, it was the placement of the neck pocket, and the shape and location of the horn that were off. If I moved it so that one fit, the other wouldn't.

Even with a 100% perfect Fender Stratocaster pickguard, there will be one hole, near the bass side of the middle pickup, that is in a different (and more logical, to me) location on the Bolt. It's off by more than just a mm or three. The rest *should* line up. :think:

ElfDude

Re: GK-1 Kit - still at it!

Postby ElfDude » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:05 am

camperband wrote: The Bolt is DEFINITELY the best guitar for a NECK P90, by far!!!

I wish they'd offer it as an option.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:14 pm

I think it's more that the P90 is one of the most adaptive, universal pickups out there. They have such a naturally pleasing sound when authentically wound. So no matter the guitar you drop them in--centerblock semi hollow, full on jazz box, Les Paul, Strat, long scale, short scale, neck pickup bubbliness, bridge pickup snarl, whatever--you feel like you hit the jackpot. They work in just about any style of music.

What I love so much also about them is the notes are so pleasing to the ear that they make you SLOW DOWN... you want to listen to what you're playing, and forge a melody. You don't want to blow by those beautifully crafted notes so quickly.. you take it easy and enjoy them. They have a very human, vocalesque midrange that makes them real expressive.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

camperband
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby camperband » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:41 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:I think it's more that the P90 is one of the most adaptive, universal pickups out there. They have such a naturally pleasing sound when authentically wound. So no matter the guitar you drop them in--centerblock semi hollow, full on jazz box, Les Paul, Strat, long scale, short scale, neck pickup bubbliness, bridge pickup snarl, whatever--you feel like you hit the jackpot. They work in just about any style of music.

What I love so much also about them is the notes are so pleasing to the ear that they make you SLOW DOWN... you want to listen to what you're playing, and forge a melody. You don't want to blow by those beautifully crafted notes so quickly.. you take it easy and enjoy them. They have a very human, vocalesque midrange that makes them real expressive.

This is a very accurate description on a P90 and an explanation of my fascination with them. Having said that, I put a P90-neck in my Vanquish and it just doesn't "sing" as the P90 in the bolt; because it is too far back towards the bridge. No regrets, however; it sounds way better than the original Lithium single coil; IMHO.
2018-02-25 09.05.20.jpg

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:06 pm

Well that's more a function of the pickup in the bolt being under the octave harmonic, whereas the Vanq pushes it further back because of the 24 fret neck. So you'd probably want to advocate for 90's on a 21-22 fret neck rather than a 24 fret neck!
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

camperband
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: GK-1 Kit - Done.

Postby camperband » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:24 pm

After many weeks of just letting the guitar sit in its case, unfinished... I at last arrived at the final iteration: pink + black. That's it for me. Done. It's about time I start playing the darn thing instead of playing with it.
20180704_210947-02.jpeg
Last edited by camperband on Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ElfDude

Re: GK-1 Kit - done.

Postby ElfDude » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:53 pm

I like it!
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: GK-1 Kit - Done.

Postby Treadplatedual » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:55 am

camperband wrote:After many weeks of just letting the guitar sit in its case, unfinished... I at last arrived at the final iteration: pink + black. That's it for me. Done. It's about time I start playing the darn thing instead of playing with it.20180704_210947-02.jpeg

That's gorgeous!
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

Return to Builder's Forum