Roasted Maple Necks

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Jables156

Roasted Maple Necks

Postby Jables156 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:11 pm

Hi
May have already been asked but new to the forum, what is used if anything on the new Roasted Maple necks, is anything required for the ongoing care etc
Just got one of the new McRocklin spec Osiris
Any advice or info would be welcomed as there was no info on the build sheet other than it was a special run.
Cheers
Jim

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Roasted Maple Necks

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sun May 12, 2019 6:31 pm

A roasted neck shouldn't require any additional care compared to a regular maple neck. Some say they're more durable and stable. I'm waiting to see what happens, but figure that their in house is going to be fine, and I would not lose any sleep over it
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Jables156

Postby Jables156 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:58 pm

Thanks for the reply, so you think just keep it clean and should be ok ?

Will see how it goes, Cheers

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Mon May 13, 2019 9:19 pm

Jables156 wrote:Thanks for the reply, so you think just keep it clean and should be ok ?

Will see how it goes, Cheers

Yup, basically. Might want to give it a good clean and a couple of swipes of lemon oil (no excess, just swipe it on lightly, rub it in, and take the rest off) every few months, but I'd do that with any neck.

jacob5150

Postby jacob5150 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:02 am

I'll concur with the lemon oil. my Aries should be arriving in a week or so. I got a roasted Maple neck on it and have done some research on maintenance. Put some lemon oil on a rag, wipe on, wipe off. Not too much. Cheers!

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue May 14, 2019 6:29 am

A couple months back, I had a luthier tell me that they used Murphy's oil soap for cleaning their guitars and "oiling" their fretboards.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

tbonesullivan
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby tbonesullivan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:02 am

The roasted maple is most likely treated with the same tung oil finish that Kiesel/Carvin has used for years. Care would be the same: lemon oil, which is really just scented light mineral oil. Ernie Ball wonder wipes should work well.
Guitars: Bolt in Electric Blue, Cobalt 750T
Basses: B4A in classic sunburst , B5 in sunsetburst, XB75 in TPB, PB4 in Blue Burst, LB70F in Pearl blue

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:14 pm

tbonesullivan wrote:The roasted maple is most likely treated with the same tung oil finish that Kiesel/Carvin has used for years. Care would be the same: lemon oil, which is really just scented light mineral oil. Ernie Ball wonder wipes should work well.

They don't put anything on their roasted maple necks

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:15 pm

Toptube wrote:
tbonesullivan wrote:The roasted maple is most likely treated with the same tung oil finish that Kiesel/Carvin has used for years. Care would be the same: lemon oil, which is really just scented light mineral oil. Ernie Ball wonder wipes should work well.

...except tung oil, from what I understand. I thought I heard Jeff say that when they launched them...but I could be wrong.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:49 am

spudmunkey wrote:
Toptube wrote:

...except tung oil, from what I understand. I thought I heard Jeff say that when they launched them...but I could be wrong.

ah ha, you are right. I found the video and heard him say it.

I thought they weren't, because he also said many times early on, that he didn't want to put finishes over roasted maple, because he didn't want to add moisture back. He also seemed to say they wouldn't do a KTB fretboard on a roasted neck. Fearing the unroasted fretboard could add moisture to the roasted neck.

However, he just said the other day that they will in fact do roasted necks for the non-multiscale vader guitars. and didn't say that it required roasted body wings.

tbonesullivan
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby tbonesullivan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:31 pm

The other companies using the roasted maple have pretty much been treating it like regular maple. It still get a satin or oil finish. Even with the torrefaction process, I think maple may still be less resilient to staining and sweat than naturally oily woods like rosewood.
Guitars: Bolt in Electric Blue, Cobalt 750T
Basses: B4A in classic sunburst , B5 in sunsetburst, XB75 in TPB, PB4 in Blue Burst, LB70F in Pearl blue

Return to Tech Talk