Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:11 am

They might be having issues with their shipping carrier. Both USPS and UPS have been kinda garbage to their commercial customers recently, so if they don't ship Fedex they might genuinely just not have had someone come by for pickup. I know Louis Rossman (runs a tech repair shop in NYC and has a really cool YT channel) had a bunch of parts he was selling not get picked up for a while, and then get "lost" before being put in the system, to the tune of a couple thousand $ IIRC.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:15 am

I could definitely see that as an issue, but I don't think it was in this case. this morning when they said 'tomorrow', she did say it was being prepped to ship tomorrow, which I took to mean that they hadn't finished on their end, and wasn't in the carrier's realm of influence yet.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:05 pm

Actually got a tracking number this "tomorrow", so that's good.

It's supposed to deliver Wednesday.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:05 pm

Nice!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:29 pm

Yay, it's coming a day early!

But I'll have to work very late, so i won't even be able to pick it up at FedEx until Wednesday.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:53 pm

tenor.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:40 pm

...and I was able to re-work my day so that i could work from home today.

And then at 4:06PM, I got an email that said it was being re-scheduled to tomorrow.

So I called and asked if I could pick it up at the nearest hub.

They said that it already delivered to my requested FedEx Copy/Ship center an hour ago.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:17 am

Lol.. that's like when the vintage Super was scheduled for delivery to my company on a Wednesday iirc. The day is progressing and I'm all excited.. and suddenly midday while I'm watching the status on their tracker... it flops into EXCEPTION, because of a Customs hold requiring me to fax papers to them declaring there are no toxic chemicals. Took another day after that to get it. Agony.

But it's allll over now heheheh. :mrgreen:
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:00 am

Except in your case you got an amazing guitar, and in mine, I got product that left the factory with defects, and they haven't gotten back to me yet. Arg.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:03 pm

What's the defect, Spud?
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:43 pm

I'm probably being unrealistically picky on some of the defects because it will likely show scratches and scuffs with use, but...

Some scratches, scuffs, and discoloration on one of them at the end.

Go ahead and ignore from 0:00 to 5:11. Also ignore the lighting at the very beginning. I haven't used Hit Film Express since I made my Aries unboxing video 3 years ago (there have been NINE version updates since then), and found the new lightning effect...so I just had to use it somewhere.  
0:00-5:11: blabbing about background and why I chose this product
5:12 starts the unboxing
6:41, I start showing flaws/defects.

https://youtu.be/U8gUKM-UqVE

Still don't know what I'm going to do with it. I'm not confident that replacements will meet my standards, because I'm very familiar with this sort of material. *sigh* Why even bother making this out of clear anodized aluminum if they can't even ship it in pristine condition. Let the USER beat it up.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:57 am

Bogus :(
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:02 pm

ElfDude wrote:Bogus :(

i agree.

...and still waiting for their reply. I emailed them on Monday to tell them i just wanted to return it. Re-pinged them again on Wednesday. Still radio silence. Going to re-email them now, as it's Friday afternoon for them in their time zone...maybe they'll want me off their plate before the weekend... If i don't hear back by Monday afternoon, I'll call 'em.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:29 pm

ElfDude wrote:Bogus :(

I just heard from them.

They are refunding me, and they don't want the pieces back. So I guess I have two options...donate/recycle these parts and still make my own, or do I take these and then just a bit of my own money, and put it into powdercoat.

I think if I do that, I won't complete the video review series I was planning, and just share my results for those that are curious, but outside of youtube.

If i do make my own, I'll try to document that...

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:09 pm

You could donate 'em my way :P

In reality, if I were in your position, I'd just put them up (I'm not picky), and if it really did bother me, I'd touch them up a bit and leave it be. If I couldn't sleep from the touch-ups, then I'd repaint the whole shot myself, and lastly shell out for power-coating. But...I'm *really* not picky about things, unless it's built improperly (and that's a subjective choice).
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:14 am

I'm amused whenever someone sees a new color or finish from Kiesel, and they ask, "What the name of this finish?"

It always makes me think two amusing thoughts:
1) That every single combination of colors/techniques/combinations of colors needs to have a "name". This was especially amusing in the splatter run, when people kept asking, "What's this one called?". With a base color, and 3 different splatter colors, not every combination is going to have a name. In a Q&A, when someone asked about the name of the color of the guitar on the main banner for the group, Jeff said, "I think that one's #7", which gave me a little chuckle. how anti-climactic. :lol:

2) That every finish actually has a proper name. Like, "This new finish? Oh, it's called 'Benjamin'. This other one is 'Genevieve', and behind it is 'Zeb'' and 'Salvatore.'"

Yes, I know that even if a particular finish doesn't have a name, that the question people are actually asking is, "If I were to want this finish, how would I ask for it/describe it to the salesperson?

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:54 pm

spudmunkey wrote:I'm amused whenever someone sees a new color or finish from Kiesel, and they ask, "What the name of this finish?"

I suspect it's because someone would like to know how to order an identical finish without any confusion. "I want to order the same finish that was on that black Zeus that had the different blue and green and silver splatters, or whatever colors they were that I saw in your Facebook picture...." can be kind of vague! :)
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:26 pm

Not sure of a number of things “post Carvin-Kiesel” but since (pretty sure) active electronics were still orderable, I don’t quite get how there was NO support plan for those of us active-packing? Unlucky that I have had both “active” guitars develop problems at the same time so having 2 of 3 out of the loop is a problem. Short of gutting them and wiring up my own discrete circuit, I am not sure what to do?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:00 pm

From what I understand, the part of Carvin that split off to Carvin Audio made the active preamp, and they closed their factory. A pretty tough spot to be put in.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:21 am

Omsong wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:I'm amused whenever someone sees a new color or finish from Kiesel, and they ask, "What the name of this finish?"

I suspect it's because someone would like to know how to order an identical finish without any confusion. "I want to order the same finish that was on that black Zeus that had the different blue and green and silver splatters, or whatever colors they were that I saw in your Facebook picture...." can be kind of vague! :)

I always get a kick out of that too. Especially in the age of 'right click and send 'em a photo'.
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

Return to The Backstage Lounge