NBD LB70PF Claro BEM HAN - added sound sample!

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

NBD LB70PF Claro BEM HAN - added sound sample!

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:46 pm

Waiting room thread with specs, price list on specs, the decision making process, etc.
http://www.carvinbbs.com/viewtopic.php?t=32739

Click here for the new bass day thread!
http://carvinbbs.com/viewtopic.php?t=33583

Sound sample.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh_lhGZS9sM

PS: scroll down for outdoor photos!
:mrgreen:

4/26/13 we find this thread: Gumby's bass in the new catalog
Last edited by gumbynotpokey on Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

re: NBD LB70PF Claro BEM HAN

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:11 am

Ok, bass players....

*No lines/no dots
Mariosangermano pushed me on this build toward no lines/no dots on my first fretless. DO IT.
Now I'm not starting a debate thread at all on that. I'm just saying the side dots are enough, and I'm SO GLAD for the look of no lines/no dots. I'll be just fine.

* Hard as nails epoxy finish
It's hard to describe. I have used the word "marble". It's like rock hard like marble, and smooth as marble too. It's amazing. I would love a wood board on a fretless without the HAN finish, but this HAN finish is SIIIICK. Vibrato and slides are so smooth and easy. It's really a ton of fun and feels great.

* 3 piece body
Think outside the box. They didn't flinch for a second on that request. And I went for a maple middle layer, not alder. It was a request and they did it.

*J99A's
Gosh! Total presence, great output, thick, bright, full, and a bit of growl when I want it. I really didn't expect any growl at all. These pu's are clear and full. Plenty of bottom end. I love these pu's.

*First fretless
Many say to get a fretless version of your current bass. That's what I did. I love the LB70, and yeah -- it's the same neck, scale length, neck profile, blah blah blah. I feel right at home, even with no lines/no dots. I do NOT feel like a 2 year old left on the side of the highway who feels disoriented and doesn't know the direction home.

Friends, it's a great bass. Dig the NBD thread. I'll put up some legit outdoor photos soon. Proper full report on Harmony Central, full tone report, and perhaps a youtube sound clip may come down the road (Carvin deserves more of those IMO).

This new bass =

:ninja:

Mayers
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Mayers » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:46 pm

I really like the outdoor pics.

Once my finance are back on track, I'll buy a black IC6PF with gold hardware, creme pickup and fretless maple fretboard with HAN. It would be very cool.

I love fretless, the sound is so beautiful. Enjoy yours !
2006 LB76
2007 LB76 fretless
2007 BB70P fretless - sold
2013 Icon6 fretless

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: re: NBD LB70PF Claro BEM HAN

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:17 pm

Mayers wrote:I really like the outdoor pics.

Once my finance are back on track, I'll buy a black IC6PF with gold hardware, creme pickup and fretless maple fretboard with HAN. It would be very cool.

I love fretless, the sound is so beautiful. Enjoy yours !

For sure! Would you go BEM or flamed on your board? I think a flamed board on a black bass would be AMAZING.

The E string on this baby is buzzing pretty badly. I'm gonna let her settle in for a day or so and then look at giving the neck a bit of relief. It's SO SWEET sounding now, I don't even know what to say or how to describe it.

Mayers
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Mayers » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:59 pm

I didn't thought about a flame maple or regular or BEM ( which I have on my LB76 ).

but like you said, it could look quite beautiful.

Like every bass, it has to settle down a bit.

Didn't HAN finish kind of give a fretless Pedulla kind of quality to the sound ?
2006 LB76

2007 LB76 fretless

2007 BB70P fretless - sold

2013 Icon6 fretless

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:26 pm

Took it to the one guitar tech I trust and he did a neck relief adjustment to the truss rod. He eyeballed it, went for it (taught me as he went), and got it done in 3 separate small turns, checking after each one. Perfectly buzz free now. I suppose 4 inches of rain in WNC with a high of 71 is a bit different from San Diego.

Preliminary addition to small tone report: J99A's have higher output than the old J99's. They growl on their own. They have more presence, and are somewhat more complex. Brighter all the way around without sacrificing bottom end.

And for those wanting pics at the location of this thread, I now oblige. Enjoy.

Last edited by gumbynotpokey on Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:32 pm

Took her to practice tonight for the first time. I don't know where to start, but I'll try....

* Output. This thing's output blows away the output of my 2004 LB70P, and I'm surprised. The 04 is a J99 (neck), HB (bridge) and piezos in the saddles, 18v active/passive. It does everything I want and more. In short, the J99A's have higher output. I even think it's higher maybe than the HB soloed on the 04. CRAZY. And she's not boomey. Clear, bright, present, full and HEADROOM GALORE.

* Voice. I struggle to put this in words. Single coils on nitro with no rules. Every nuance comes out. 1/4 steps and less are noticeable. The voice of this instrument is very different. Blazing, and sophisticated.

* Weight. Heavier and not so noticeable at home but a longer practice made it evident. Not all that bad though and she's mostly walnut. I have to weigh this thing and compare.

* Playability. It's fantastic and extreme. The action is almost too low. Fretless and low action = effortless. I have to adapt.

I'll write more down the road.

WoodyG3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby WoodyG3 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:04 pm

I'm glad you are happy with your new LB70. That's still my favorite Carvin body style.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:23 pm

WoodyG3 wrote:I'm glad you are happy with your new LB70. That's still my favorite Carvin body style.

Oh yeah! VERY happy. And yeah, it's mine too. And I just LOVE the rounded body sides. To each their own, of course. But yeah, VERY happy.

(whatchu think?) :mrgreen:

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:01 pm

gnp,

VERY sharp looking bass! How cool is it that thanks to the hard-as-nails finish, you could get a BEM fingerboard?!

About the pickups: Since J99A's have been out for a while, the honeymoon about them is over. They're no longer the "flavor of the month", but most folks still seem to love them. More treble, you say? Does this ever present a problem?

The H50N's in my LB70 were a tad "clacky". I swapped them with H50A's when they came out, and those were a little better. But I've been wondering if the J99A's have the "sound in my head". I guess I want to know if they're beefy and if the high end is manageable.

From the soundclips I've heard, the J99A's have a tiny bit more "edge" than the H50A's, but I'm curious about real-life comparisons. Any more reviews on your new bass's sound would be greatly appreciated.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:11 pm

Bob C wrote:gnp,

VERY sharp looking bass! How cool is it that thanks to the hard-as-nails finish, you could get a BEM fingerboard?!

About the pickups: Since J99A's have been out for a while, the honeymoon about them is over. They're no longer the "flavor of the month", but most folks still seem to love them. More treble, you say? Does this ever present a problem?

The H50N's in my LB70 were a tad "clacky". I swapped them with H50A's when they came out, and those were a little better. But I've been wondering if the J99A's have the "sound in my head". I guess I want to know if they're beefy and if the high end is manageable.

From the soundclips I've heard, the J99A's have a tiny bit more "edge" than the H50A's, but I'm curious about real-life comparisons. Any more reviews on your new bass's sound would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks tons, and I must say I like it a lot too. Tomorrow is my 2nd band practice with it. In short, it's an adjustment in spite of being the same model as my only other bass. 3 services a week since 2008 is a lot of gigging and I'm VERY comfortable with the neck and positions (same neck/profile, etc). That similarity is saving my bacon on no lines/no dots. I wish I was further along quicker on the adjustment.

Yeah, BEM board is a bucket of sweetness. I might try to add another pic with better outdoor lighting (less direct). The thing shimmers in a loose rolling way, beyond the birdseye figure. Overall, the walnut/maple theme works and I REALLY am glad for the board and the middle layer being maple. Lesson is "ask". :)

For me the J99A's are a first exposure. I find the top end very appropriate, both passive and active. And yet, this thing's output is a BEAST. Taming it might ACTUALLY require me playing at less that 100% up on the volume knob. On my LB70P, I only use the volume knob to go "off" between songs. I might have to use the volume knob on this bass with our front-of-house set up being what it is. Also, the EQ seems potent. So, I have no concerns at all about the pu's. In short, the PU's are a big improvement over J99's.

I meant to do a sound sample last weekend on youtube. No time. It will come and I'll put it on the Forums here when I do. I have no experience with H50's at all. Clacky on this bass comes from being fretless AND low Carvin action. In other words, the action/attack, not the pu's. I can slap the strings against the pu's without wanting to - right hand attack. That's the only clack I produce. I will not adjust the action for at least a few months. I need to adjust. I can imagine later possibly raising the action a touch. For now, I will grow into the instrument. I can wait, and frankly feel that I should.

"Beefy"? YOU BET. It's ALL there.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh_lhGZS9sM

Ok, kids. I've braced for impact and put up a quick sound sample with an A/B comparison of my 2004 LB70P and my new 2012 LB70PF.

I have been asked if the HAN produces "mwah".

"Uh, yeah." :mrgreen: ...and here's some evidence.

MadMike23
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

re: NBD LB70PF Claro BEM HAN - added sound sample!

Postby MadMike23 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:34 pm

I hear plenty of MWAH... and a definite tonal difference between the two. The Claro is a beast, man...
Basses:
2010 IC4P clear quilt ("White Tiger")
2012 IC5P sunset burst ("Eternal Flame")
2017 VM59K vintage yellow ("Bumblebee")
Amp: Carvin BX1500, BR210 and BR118 cabinets ("The Stack of Doom")
Effects: Boss ME-50B

DamonCovert
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby DamonCovert » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:16 pm

Muwahahahaha! Love it!

fokof
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby fokof » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:30 pm

What's the weight of that georgeous beast ?

( With black knobs , it would be perfect! )

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:03 pm

I weighed this puppy just the other night. She comes in right at 10 pounds. My jet black 2004 LB70P (stock alder body, hard rock maple neck) weighs in just at 8 pounds. I can feel the difference just picking her up. However, playing has not presented a problem. I knew that this much walnut would equal higher weight. It turns out not to be bad in my view, but this is individual to a person. I know some would balk big time for 10 pounds. That's ok. I thought long and hard about the hardware color. Again this is an individual thing.

I'm glad you find her a "gorgeous beast"! Listen to the sound sample if you haven't already. She SINGS.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:17 am

gnp,

I just checked out your youtube video linked abpve. I have to say I REALLY like the mwah action! Sounds great!

DocD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DocD » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:38 am

gumbynotpokey wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh_lhGZS9sM
Ok, kids. I've braced for impact and put up a quick sound sample with an A/B comparison of my 2004 LB70P and my new 2012 LB70PF.
I have been asked if the HAN produces "mwah".
"Uh, yeah." :mrgreen: ...and here's some evidence.

Thanks for that comparison; you certainly can do some things on the fretless that would be hard to duplicate with frets.

Are the side dots still placed in the center of the "fret" in case you do need a reference point?

Evster2012
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Evster2012 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:57 am

Dat der might jes be the dang purdiest piece o' wood in all the Blue Ridge Mountains, son! She's so awful durn purdy!! Like swayt tay and balled peenuts on a hot day! :D

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: re: NBD LB70PF Claro BEM HAN - added sound sample!

Postby gumbynotpokey » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:06 pm

Evster2012 wrote:Dat der might jes be the dang purdiest piece o' wood in all the Blue Ridge Mountains, son! She's so awful durn purdy!! Like swayt tay and balled peenuts on a hot day! :D

You mean THESE Blue Ridge Mountains? Western NC is pretty, eh? Yeah, you're right. Stringed instruments, wood materials, luthiers, and great music abound.

Last edited by gumbynotpokey on Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses