My HH2 is finally here

Expecting some new gear from Kiesel Guitars? Post here!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

My HH2 is finally here

Postby MarshallTSL » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:47 pm

Originally ordered in May. Sent back in July. Lost the rebuild order. Rushed a new build. Arrived at my office the end of last week, but thanks to Hurricane Sandy, I couldn't get to it until today. And if they had told me in May that I would have to wait until the end of October to get this beauty, I wouldn't have complained. Brothers, this was SO worth the wait!

I'm about to post a bunch of really bad iPhone pictures. My apologies at the lousy picture quality. I'll take some great pictures as soon as I get my real camera from my daughter and a few minutes to get the guitar outside. Then, I'll repost this in the right BBS area. Until then, this is for us.

When I think about the perfection of craft this guitar represents, I'm really in awe of the workmanship. Bart and the shop completely outdid themselves. Thank you.

Let me tell you that this guitar has absolutely no flaws. Anywhere. The top and neck joints are completely seemless - it's so smooth, it's like a baby's bottom. The 5-piece Walnut/Maple neck has no laminate flaws, glue marks, or even the feeling that it's a 5-piece neck.

There is not a buzz on any string at any fret position. The hardware is immaculate. The ebony fingerboard is dark and black. The MOP block inlays are richly textured and nicely colored. The fretwork is smooth and clean.

While I know that these pictures suck, the woods are stunning. I could not be happier with the piece of Claro the guys found me. There's a great contrast between the Walnut neck and the Mahogany body. And the gold hardware they let me put on the guitar really sets this baby apart.

And for those that don't really understand just how small the body is, imagine putting your guitar on top of a typical Guitar White Pages tab book. Add an inch on either side and, that's IT. Add 3/4 of an inch to the top and bottom and that's IT, too.

And, if anyone has any questions about this guitar, please ask. Happy to share what I've learned.

MarshallTSL

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: My HH2 is finally here

Postby MarshallTSL » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:22 pm

I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's...

Black is very slimming

Ebony and MOP Blocks. Does it really get better than this?

Yeah. It's like that.

It's so rich, and thick and walnut-y

Neck Joints don't usually excite me. Except when they look like this:

It's so thrilling, it deserves closer inspection

And because I know there are those out there that really like a nice rear

And one more "body shot" because you know you can't do just one...

This last one is your nightcap. I have some playing to do. DND.

Appollyon
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Appollyon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:37 pm

Holy mother of god, Marshall! :shock: That is SO FREAKIN AMAZING! It's the perfect piece of walnut! I'm jealous! This is the wood I envisioned on my DC800 but I got...well...what I got; I can't believe Carvin calls both of these "figured claro walnut". I'm SO glad you ended up doing the rebuild - this guitar is just perfect! Big time congrats, man!

pastordave2
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby pastordave2 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:47 pm

Oh yes, I doooo like that walnuty goodness. A real masterpiece! :applause: :applause: :applause:

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:10 pm

Fantastic! :applause:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:26 pm

Guys - I really feel that, in the immortal words of Garth, "I'm not worthy." Thanks for your comments.

The fact is that Bart kicked butt for me. He asked me to send him several pictures of Walnut that I like and they found one that looks JUST like my top choice.

I've asked him to call me tomorrow. When he does, I'm going to find out what type of bourbon he drinks. Or, what charity he would like me to contribute to. Whatever.

Python
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Python » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:11 pm

That looks really really nice, congrats! I always wanted a guitar with Walnut like that. Post your thoughts on the tone and playability next :-)

feelthaflo
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby feelthaflo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:17 am

Dang dude! I hope the Claro on my DC700m (ordered yesterday) looks like that!

ted
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ted » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:41 am

Wowza.

That's a really pretty piece of walnut, indeed! I love the guitar. I was waiting to see these pics and I'm quite impressed. The only thing I'm not huge on are the gold metal covered pickups (there's an amazing blue quilt HH2X that just hit GIS and it's got a trem and it's so pretty--but it's got pickup covers too, and they're not for me-- I know, minor minor thing-- but I know that it will very much be someone's cup of tea.) Still, I think gold anything goes well with walnut. The back of the 5 piece neck is simply exquisite!

I'm glad you're happy with this one, Marshall. The HH2 is such an awesome instrument and I love it that all of us HH owners on this forum have very different, unique looking versions of the same killer axe. I've never felt so bonded to a guitar as I do to my HH2. I'm loving the Holdsworth pickups so much-- I'm getting tones I can't believe. Sometimes when I pick this guitar up, I still have to pinch myself! Glad to see that you've finally got your dream guitar too.

Can't wait to see more pictures! Congratulations. :)

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:14 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

PastorDave
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby PastorDave » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:32 am

That looks awesome, beautiful Walnut!!! :applause: :applause: :drool: :shock: :shock:
God bless, Pastor Dave
Taylor 2018 714CE V-Class w/gold Gotoh locking tuners!
Taylor 314CE w/gold Gotoh locking tuners!
2012 212 Brown Marvelon
2013 AG100D ""

Tabare777
Carvinite
Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Tabare777 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:18 am

Beautiful!!! Congrats!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:
Tabare777 WEBSITE
Kiesel VM8 & Carvin DC800
DV Mark Little 40II & Mesa Dual Recto 2x12 Cab

Randy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Randy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:18 pm

Sweet!

I'm really digging these HH guitars. The way the colors came out- the black & gold hardware really complements the woods grain, and the pickup covers with the abalone block inlays... very classy.

Congrats!

Timotheedle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Timotheedle » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:18 pm

Killer Marshall!

It's a beautiful thing when everything comes together...

And btw on MY HH2 today I was just ripping... The guitar felt so good...

LabyrinthShredder
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby LabyrinthShredder » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:58 am

Incredible!! Love the wood choices with the satin finish. Simple. To-the-point. Gorgeous. :applause: :applause: :applause:

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: re: My HH2 is finally here

Postby MarshallTSL » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:05 pm

Thanks Python. So far, so GREAT.

It plays like a dream. I'm really enjoying the 14" radius, especially for upper-register work. I was concerned about being in pain from doing some complex Steely Dan jazz chording in the lower register, but it isn't too bad. It definitely will continue to take some getting "used to."

The tones are terrific. Pickups are nice and hot and gritty, just the way I like it. Not a huge tonality difference between Bridge and Neck pickups, but I think that's because they're so close together. They are a little less breathy/woody than my C22s, but it's possible that I'm just not doing enough A/B comparisons. But, when I pull on the coil tap for either pickup, it feels like 95% of the sound is still there unlike the C22 which feels like 75%.

The satin neck feels glorious, solid and sexy. The body is a dream and treat. The low weight doesn't seem to detract from being able to belt out really ballsy tones. The tubes on my Mesa Roadster were absolutely glowing by the end of the night. The low weight DOES make it really easy to play for a LONG time. My first night with her lasted almost 12 hours (followed by a lot of sleep - hey, I'm not that young any more, but I kept at it all night).

The other interesting thing is that it does take time to acclimate to a headless guitar. I know we talk a lot about side dots giving us a frame of reference. But until it's missing, you never realize how much of a marker your headstock really is. I am still working on trusting my hands (not my eyes) to figure out where the "end" of the neck really is.

As an example, I'm learning the new Rush song, Seven Cities Of Gold, and I literally kept missing the open E chord. For some reason, I wanted to put my fingers on the 2nd and 3rd frets, not the 1st and 2nd. Again, this is just the adjustment I'll need to make.

Interestingly, I found out that my clip-on Snark tuner doesn't work all that well on this guitar. I had to plug in to my Peterson to get an accurate tuning.

Which made me wonder again about my only real issue with the guitar: its lack of documentation.

* There's a very small hex-looking hole on the bass side of the bridge. Is that for string height?

* How do I set intonation on the bridge?

* The guitar comes with three differently-sized hex wrenches. What size are they and which one is used for which job?

* There are hex-wrench barrel screws on the head to secure the strings there. As I've found, they are and will be easily lost. What size are they so I can keep a batch in my case?

Python wrote:That looks really really nice, congrats! I always wanted a guitar with Walnut like that. Post your thoughts on the tone and playability next :-)

Altered_Ego
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Altered_Ego » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:17 pm

Holy Walnut Batman! That guitar is incredible. WOW! Congrats. I hope this one is a keeper for you. :shock: :applause: :woot:
Got it: Cobalt 750TS
Got it: Bolt
Got it: SC90
Got it: Ultra-V
Need it: FG1
Got it: Nomad
Got it: Vintage 16
Need it: AG200D

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: re: My HH2 is finally here

Postby MarshallTSL » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:38 pm

Thanks altered_ego! Oh yeah. This is a keeper. Even Alfred would approve.

Altered_Ego wrote:Holy Walnut Batman! That guitar is incredible. WOW! Congrats. I hope this one is a keeper for you. :shock: :applause: :woot:

Return to The Waiting Room