Carvin it up - X-Mann & Friends ALL Carvin Jam Video

Share music you've made with your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars gear.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

X-Mann
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Carvin it up - X-Mann & Friends ALL Carvin Jam Video

Postby X-Mann » Thu May 30, 2013 5:19 am

Carvin IT UP - VIDEO

Hey my Carvin Brothers.........

Here is the tune I worked on titled "Carvin it up"........It's an ALL Carvin Guitar & Bass jam that was all started right here on the forum........The guys ALL hit it out of the park with there solos & parts......

The process was fast & furious, but always FUN, FUN, FUN!!!!!!!!

I wrote the basics of the tune pretty fast & the guys will tell you how it changed & developed from the original idea & tracks sent out......

The quality of the performances that I received back were nothing short of stellar......& the thing that amazes me still is the fact that we sound like we were all on the same page from the very start......It took a lot of blending & moving the parts around to find the right order.......but I think that your getting a lot of Carvin guitars, playing & strings on this track........

I will add more detail later & I'm sure that each guy can & will add some thoughts on there experience with all of this......

To my Crazy Cali Carvin Team.....I say...

"Thank you" & Peace! X-Mann

Carvin it up - Song Only
Last edited by X-Mann on Fri May 31, 2013 5:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

OakParkMusicGuy
Carvinite
Carvinite

re: Carvin it up - X-Mann & Friends Carvin Video

Postby OakParkMusicGuy » Thu May 30, 2013 5:32 am

Wow!! That was a lot of fun! Great work everyone. It was fun to step out of my comfort zone and into the metal :)

X-Mann
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: re: Carvin it up - X-Mann & Friends Carvin Video

Postby X-Mann » Thu May 30, 2013 6:34 am

OakParkMusicGuy wrote:Wow!! That was a lot of fun! Great work everyone. It was fun to step out of my comfort zone and into the metal :)

& you sound just great, but I think it's funny that you hear this as Metal......It's far from Metal in my mind..........I'm just glad that you reached out & jumped on this Crazy Carvin Train with us Bro!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

I wish I had another week to work on all of this to get it perfect....but at some point I just had to stop & move on to my next project....... :lol:

tschurr
Carvinite
Carvinite

re: Carvin it up - X-Mann & Friends ALL Carvin Video

Postby tschurr » Thu May 30, 2013 6:42 am

Very cool. Just confirms that this is a great community to be a part of.
Excellent work by ALL and BIG thanks to X for bringing it all together. :applause:
Current Carvin Gear: CS4S(Classic Sunburst)
In The Oven: Bolt

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu May 30, 2013 6:42 am

Watching the video now. This is flippin' awesome, you guys! :applause:

I wish I had gotten involved.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

OakParkMusicGuy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby OakParkMusicGuy » Thu May 30, 2013 6:44 am

Fair enough! I used to be into much harder rock but as a classical music teacher, things change. Regardless, it's a rockin' tune and very cool riff you wrote.

hallwayminstrel
Carvinite
Carvinite

re: Carvin it up - X-Mann & Friends ALL Carvin Jam Video

Postby hallwayminstrel » Thu May 30, 2013 1:25 pm

Nicely done! :applause: Glad I could have a part in it.

That was a cool riff to learn. It took me a while to get it but it was worth it.

I'm obviously the least-experienced player on this ticket. Lots of talent on display here! :mrgreen:
2011 V3M412 - GT12's
2012 SH550CE - S22's
2012 VT16 Vintage 16 Head
2013 Bolt V - S60A's
2013 212E 2x12 Vintage Cab - GT12's
2013 Son's Bolt Kit - S60A's
2016 VT50 Vintage 50 Head
2016 TLB60 - AP11's
2016 1983 Used X60B - 6L6's
2016 Used VT16 Combo - Spring Reverb
2017 MB15 Bass Amp

kuhboom
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby kuhboom » Thu May 30, 2013 1:39 pm

Great job lads! :applause: Sorry I had to duck out of this one .. but I'm definitely going to be a part of the next collaboration ( Maybe some over the top 80's metal? .. wink wink nudge nudge :mrgreen: )

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Thu May 30, 2013 3:56 pm

It was super easy to participate, and was a lot of fun. Everybody's contributions were great. Carvin bass players always seem to be dam SMOOTH!

My only regret is that I never got to hear the final bass bits under my parts or else I would've followed along - no worries though.
It was great for me to have the opportunity to use my recording set-up. I don't really like recording on my own, but in this case I had no choice - once I signed up I was committed to finishing (I didn't want X-mann to drive to jersey and kick in my door). It ended up being a good learning experience for me.

My DC700 has stock passive PUPs and I used the neck position for my parts - it's becoming one of my favorite neck position humbuckers. I dialed up a JCM800 w/ a vintage flange for the tones (seemed to fit the tune).
I even threw in an 11th fret Bb at the end of my solo, just to show you CAN do more with a 7 than chug-chugga-chug-chug, but it ran over into the next bit and the producer said it had to go -lol

Where do I sign up for the next one?
:mrgreen:

Thanks X

X-Mann
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby X-Mann » Thu May 30, 2013 4:16 pm

What a great & interesting response Bob.....

I need a little break before I start another one & the next one will go in a totally new direction.....

These kind of jams & moments give you a chance to create & make musical lines, phrases & melodies......& put all that guitar practice to a musical end.....It will bring your playing home....

It's hard at times to make decisions to cut or edit someone's part to fit your vision.....Leading a project of this size can also produce a few lessons along the way......

I have a funny side note that came directly from this song & jam too....

I will also review each player and part in detail down the road......

More later.....X

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: re: Carvin it up - X-Mann & Friends ALL Carvin Jam V

Postby arahobob » Thu May 30, 2013 4:24 pm

X-Mann wrote:What a great & interesting response Bob.....

I need a little break before I start another one & the next one will go in a totally new direction.....

These kind of jams & moments give you a chance to create & make musical lines, phrases & melodies......& put all that guitar practice to a musical end.....It will bring your playing home....

It's hard at times to make decisions to cut or edit someone's part to fit your vision.....Leading a project of this size can also produce a few lessons along the way......

I have a funny side note that came directly from this song & jam too....

I will also review each player and part in detail down the road......

More later.....X

:rockon:

RockCrue

Postby RockCrue » Thu May 30, 2013 5:49 pm

Completely wonderful. I honestly hope to see more of these. Such high quality!!! And the talent from all involved!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:
Last edited by RockCrue on Thu May 30, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

treg
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby treg » Thu May 30, 2013 7:53 pm

:applause:

Great playing all around. Anyone care to join me in the amateur corner? Most of that playing was way over my skill level. I did hear a couple of single note vibratos I could probably mimic...not on the first attempt though. :mrgreen:

Great job. 8)

southdakota
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby southdakota » Thu May 30, 2013 8:33 pm

Very cool guys! I agree that the leads all seemed to flow nicely even though you were all somewhat in the dark as to what the others would contribute. :applause:
http://www.soundcloud.com/natebauer
http://www.facebook.com/retroactive.rock.roll

------------------------------------------
Kiesel/Carvin GEAR:
Kiesel Bolt, Carvin CS3, 80's DN 612, x100B Series IV, Belaire, EM900

decreebass
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby decreebass » Thu May 30, 2013 11:21 pm

It was an excellent collaboration. Kinda forced me to step outside of my comfort zone and feel the music; not to judge and just know that every note I created was perfect (Kenny Werner much?). This is the closest I've had to being in a band since before I joined the Army; it felt good.

I think it was pretty interesting how bot me AND Licksville stumbled upon the same little motif (the little C#-D-B) thing at the beginning of our solos. X- you were totally right; it's like we knew what the other was was writing already!

It took me about a week to write the solo - I needed almost every minute that X gave us! I'd listen to it then try to sing a bit and translate that to guitar. For about the first 3 days I only had the intro; the octave G followed by the harmonic bend from the F# up to the G on the next string down - something I gleaned from Petrucci. I had played around with all sorts of little ideas but nothing felt right or began or ended where it should. My favorite parts are the second 4 measures (Bm) - I got to use a lot of really neat ideas; including a small sweep, and a syncopated 16th note blues run. Then to me it just gets more exciting as I build in the G G chord, do a small melody, into a shred high up on the low strings (another Petrucci-ism I guess lol). Then I end it on the A chord with a riff in 3/4 over the 4/4 rhythm track which creates a little syncopated discomfort that is counteracted by the optimism of the riff itself (it's also the same little riff at the beginning of the song lol).

You guys are all super talented and I can't wait to do this again. Maybe I'll even put one together myself! I have a lot of rhythm/backing riffs to solo over but no cohesive songs... Like that guy who has a million college credits but no degree (like me, for instance lol).

I was considering transcribing the whole thing, but I figured that would just keep me locked in the past versus moving on to new stuff. However, if by some chance you want it transcribed/tabbed, I'll be more than happy to. It's really mostly done, just need to organize it onto one sheet.

Take care, y'all.
Kiesel Vader V8, DC7X, DC747, DC800, DC135, SB5000
Mesa/Boogie Mark V/Recto 4x12
My solo project: "The Ugly Bunny Suicide Sessions:" http://mrmediocrity.bandcamp.com/
My metal band, Storm: http://www.facebook.com/storm808

X-Mann
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby X-Mann » Fri May 31, 2013 3:12 am

Thanks again for all the cool comments everyone!!!!!!!

You can hear that we had fun creating this for sure........

Here is my process & writing thoughts...........

The over-all song had to be Rocking & fun.....With a great opening lick & groove........The title "Carvin it up" came right after the 1st lick was written too.......

I wanted a verse section & chorus section with some kind of separation between soloists.......

I knew mid to fast temp was needed & I took a drum loop & created the opening lick/riff 1st.......

This drove the rest of the song & was the part that would separate or mark the end of each pass through.......

I created a slower moving verse that could be built upon & I wanted the bass to move around here.......The chorus on the other hand needed to be high energy......& just drive it all home......

So.....anyways.......I rushed to put these sections together & send them out to the guys......& while they worked on there assignments I tried to figure out how to blend, fix & make the song flow more........The tracks sent out to the guys had a scratch bass track that I played on, but the tracks sent to the bass guys had NO BASS on them at all.........I gave some basic/specific intructions as to what I was looking for & needed.......but also said that if you went in a different direction & it worked....well.....I'd use it.....

The funny thing is I had not even tried to create a melodic solo yet to the tracks I had sent the boys...........Every backing section, rhythm & key creates a different feel & style solo wise.......

I spent a lot of time with the intro section & the outro sections!!!!!! A LOT!!!!! More than I should have!!!!! I worked on this all week long sice I got Catman10's tracks 1st.....He worked SO fast, followed direction & gave me multiple options.....A total Pro!!!! In fact everyone did a great job of communicating & keeping me in the loop......

Then on Sunday morning after getting back from seeing the Zaza Concert I wanted to take a crack at some leads over each section before even listening to what the other guys had done.......I didn't want them to influence what I did at all.....Plus I wanted to know these sections from a soloists point of view & get the theory of what worked and didn't..........

SO my verse solo is a slow build that just follows the chords the 1st time around..(I'm trying to ease you into the shred)...Then into a sweep to wake up my peeps the 2nd time around.....Then I change to my favorite tapping tone over the quick hits & just go FULL EDDIE for a few seconds.......Then it calms down for a line.......& then the chorus is a new tone that has a more majestic feel & vibe.........& the energy is at it's very top here.........It took me a few hours on Sunday morning to get all these solo lines correct.....& I admit that I had some trouble at 1st soloing over the chorus backing.......Not staying in key that is.....but just finding the right rhythm & style for that backing.......but......I found it......It's SO important to write & craft memorable lines with a purpose that serve the song.........

Getting into all the submissions was next.....& I started w/ the bass 1st.....More on that later......

X

Garnoch
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Garnoch » Fri May 31, 2013 8:01 am

Very cool idea guys, great job!

Randy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Randy » Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 am

How very cool!

You guys sounded great- well done :applause:
I really wanted to participate, but schedules being what they are kept me out of this one. Maybe next time ;)

Thanks for the hard work X-Man!

advdir
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby advdir » Fri May 31, 2013 10:30 am

Excellent job everyone. It is so great to see and hear participation from die-hard customers.

licksville
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby licksville » Fri May 31, 2013 10:48 am

I am so happy to have been part of this. I had read magazine interviews where pros talked about recording their parts in the comfort of their own studios and then sending them to someone else for insertion and mixing. That idea always intrigued me because 1) you can butcher your part 147 times in a row and no one will be hovering over you and 2) you can record in your pajamas. Not to mention the possibility of recording with folks all over the US that you've never met but share something in common.

Huge props to X-Mann for putting this together and creating such a great canvas for us to work from. (He's clearly no slouch in the solo department either!) I could not have been happier with what he crafted for the chorus section. When I first imported the track into Cubase and just started noodling around, you know, guitar unplugged, not really in tune, etc. I immediately came up with the riff for the opening G chord section. I then spent days trying to piece the rest together. And after I sent my track in on the last day, I learned that there was a problem with the sampling khz and I had to redo my track, and quickly. Coincidently, I had gone back and reread the original email with X's instructions and learned that the chorus section was intended as a high energy part. My first submission wasn't really full out so I was really glad to have the opportunity to redo it with the accelerator properly engaged.

As for my, ahem, performance well, I don't consider myself a very clean player so for the folks who listened to my part and thought, that's kind of messy and not really on the beat, well, I don't disagree. My playing has always lived on the edge of sloppy (or frequently beyond) no matter what speed I'm playing at. Probably has to do with my hyper personality and short attention span. Yeah. Wait, what were we talking about?
Pix, mp3s, incoherent ramblings:
http://home.comcast.net/~licksville/main.htm

Return to Share Your Kiesel Guitars Made Music