NGD - DTS Clear Quilt CS6

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Garnoch
Carvinite
Carvinite

NGD - DTS Clear Quilt CS6

Postby Garnoch » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:44 pm

To lessen scrolling, pics first, talking second.....

Man, is the wait hard but fun. I should have had it yesterday but UPS showed up in the only 2 hour window someone wasn't home - 9 minutes shy of someone being home in fact. Man was I in a bad mood last night haha. So I called them and told them to hold it being I was going to be home today. This is my first Carvin. I wanted something fairly simple with classic woods and after looking at pictures for almost a year, I saw something that made my decision and I ordered. I realized only today on my way home from UPS that I was nervous to open it. What if it didn't look the way I wanted. What if I wasn't happy with the quilt. What if it quality really didn't live up to what I've heard or my other guitars? What if they didn't get my order right? What if they missed the pickups I changed two weeks after my initial order? Well, my initial thought on opening it was that it wasn't quite what I was expecting because of the picture in my head. I was very happy with the quilt and they got the entire order correct (they even did the setup with the strings I sent them), but the maple top was a little darker (less yellow, more brown) than what was in my head and the hog was a little darker (deeper brown red) than I was expecting. Luckily this wasn't a negative for me. It took me less than 5 seconds to realize it was a plus, especially the hog. A couple of times I had wondered if I should request a darker reddish piece but decided not too and figured it was going to be lighter. Speaking of lighter, I was surprised it wasn't heavier. It's about 8.5 pounds and very comfortable. Acoustically it sounded amazing which shouldn't have surprised me being I always seem to prefer the sound of hog and maple together more than anything else. I was actually surprised for some reason how well it played out of the box. The setup is dead nuts and was just a touch out of tune from a week on the road and settling. I don't mind doing setups at all but not having to feels very nice. I wondered if I'd find the neck a little chunky, but to be honest, all my necks are different and I can never decide if I have a preference. That being said, I loved the neck. It is very very comfortable. So it was time to plug it in. Thanks to Evster's mockup with the C22s and then Geddy's explanation of the differences between the S22 and C22, I changed my order to have S22s because of the sound I wanted and the look for this guitar - best of both worlds. Man, am I glad I did. I mean I'm glad I'm getting a C22 on the bridge of my next guitar, but wow the S22s blew me away. I will not be swapping them off this guitar. I hesitate saying they are bright just because the bottom is so nice and the entire sound is very full, but they are definitely bright where it counts, simply bringing out wonderful definition to the higher strings, yet keeping that fullness. My personal favorite passives are the Dirty Fingers I have on a 1984 Gibson Explorer, but strumming a chord and distinctly hearing each note really did impress me. The S22s are not quite as quacky as the Dirty Fingers. I don't actually mean that as a good or bad thing, just different and very very nice. The bottom is even nicer than the Dirty Fingers. I don't mean to say there is more, because more is not always better, it's just that it's a very full sound without feeling muddy, which I guess comes back to very nice definition. What I'm most surprised at with the S22s is that I did not expect them them to be as hot as they are because I had heard they weren't. I don't mean to say they are hot, because I wouldn't classify them that way, just hotter than I expected. I'll kind of even compare the bridge pickup to an EMG 81 I have in a hog/maple guitar. One, I could easily use this guitar for metal if I wasn't in a rock mood. The brighter, defined higher notes on the S22 stand out nicely like on the 81 but without that sterile compressed feel of the 81, while the bottom stands out nicely, totally unlike an 81. Though I have to say the 81/85 in my hog/maple guitar sounds way better than in other guitars I've had them in, even the bottom. If I did use this guitar for that genre though, I'd probably roll off some bottom compared to how I have the 81 set up. My thoughts could change over time, but I really think I have my new go to guitar for rock. Thanks to everyone for their earlier encouraging words, advice and help, and a huge thanks to Geddy and Evster for helping me change my mind on the S22s. I love seeing lots of pictures so I hope I didn't overdo it for anyone. An overcast day with the lighting constantly changing didn't help but you get the idea. Feel free to click on a picture to open a new tab with a larger version.

NMAH - Mahogany Neck & Body
CG - Clear Gloss Finish
QDC6 - Deep Clear Quilt
BST - Blackburst Edges
CTH - Carved Top Headstock
QPH4 - Quilted Maple Headstock Matches Body Finish
EF - Ebony Fingerboard
MP - Mother Of Pearl Block Inlays
STF - Stainless Med-Jumbo Frets
R14 - 14in Fretboard Radius
S22B - S22B Bridge Pickup
S22J - S22J Neck Pickup
400 - Black Pickups
VT2 - 2 Volume/2 Tone w/ Push-Pull Coil Splitters
CH - Chrome Hardware
GL - Gold Plated Logo
PK - Metal Knobs w/ White Pearl Inlays
SL - Dunlop Straplocks
WPB - White Pearloid Tuner Buttons
IVN - Ivory Graph Tech TUSQ Nut
HC12 - Vintage Tweed Hardshell Case

hallwayminstrel
Carvinite
Carvinite

re: NGD - DTS Clear Quilt CS6

Postby hallwayminstrel » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:59 pm

:coolpics:

That's a great guitar! I, too, love the S22's.

:applause: :rockon:
2011 V3M412 - GT12's
2012 SH550CE - S22's
2012 VT16 Vintage 16 Head
2013 Bolt V - S60A's
2013 212E 2x12 Vintage Cab - GT12's
2013 Son's Bolt Kit - S60A's
2016 VT50 Vintage 50 Head
2016 TLB60 - AP11's
2016 1983 Used X60B - 6L6's
2016 Used VT16 Combo - Spring Reverb
2017 MB15 Bass Amp

PastorDave
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby PastorDave » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:03 pm

Nice write up and you can never post too many pic's around here. That quilt is awesome, if I ever get a quilt top that is the kind I like. And another vote for the S22's!! If I can ever get my SH250 ordered they will be in it!
Happy NGD, BTW, I like the darker Hog, it looks great on there!!! :applause: :applause:
God bless, Pastor Dave
Taylor 2018 714CE V-Class w/gold Gotoh locking tuners!
Taylor 314CE w/gold Gotoh locking tuners!
2012 212 Brown Marvelon
2013 AG100D ""

pastordave2
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby pastordave2 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:12 pm

:coolpics: well you may have wanted simple but what you got is awesome! Beautiful guitar and well done on the options. :applause: :shock: :applause: :drool:
AE185, AC375, CT624 Claro Walnut
Legacy 3 half stack
AG100D
Fender super sonic 22
Taylor 316CE
PRS custom 24
Eleven rack and too many pedals

11CaliSpecGT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby 11CaliSpecGT » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:24 pm

Looks super, and thanks for the great pics! Not to mention the review! Enjoy!
AC375, HH2, DC135, Ultra V, CS6M, V3MC/212S
XB75/PB4/VB4/MB1215

Appollyon
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Appollyon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:28 pm

Beautiful guitar! I especially love the burst with the BBE - stands out nicely.

Nice write up on the S22's...very accurate description of them. I love em too! :D
DC727, AC375, SH65, DC800, Bolt, CT74, CT7, CS, SH575, HH2X, HF2, Kiesel edition SCB7C, SCB7H, DC7X, DC7x group buy, Vader7

baqirq
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby baqirq » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:50 pm

:D :applause:
Love the rich mahogony colour and the BBE really stands out beautifully.
Congratulations
:applause:

Randy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Randy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:07 pm

It's a happy day in NYC ;)

Congrats on a real beauty! I love the reddish color of the mahogany-- very nice indeed.

I know exactly what you mean about the color being darker (less yellow) than what you had pictured in your head; I had the same reaction when I opened the case to my CS6 for the first time. It lends kind of a vintage vibe to it I think. And yes... 5-sec is about all it took for me to adjust to the darker color as well :mrgreen:

Thanks for the story & photos!

Happy NGD :applause:

Mooseboy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Mooseboy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:42 pm

You wanted "classic", you got "classic" in spades! Dang, that quilt is outrageous! :applause: :applause: :applause:

And I'm totally onboard with you as far as the S22s. I have them on three of my Carvins (and the next one, coming TOMORROW YEEEHAAA!). The only reason that I didn't order them on my "next next" Carvin is because I wanted to keep it as close to "Holdsworth specs" as possible, just to see what it's like.

Congratulations, and welcome to the Carvin Owner's Club! Also make sure to join Club CS, free parking on meeting days. :mrgreen:

emmettsc
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby emmettsc » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:05 pm

What a beauty! That's a very sweet introduction to Carvin Guitars! The Hog looks just like what I have on one of mine.... wonderful coloring!

Congrats and enJOY!
SH550
CT6m
CT4
B40
Cobalt C250
84' X-100B
Nomad

atreyu2112
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby atreyu2112 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:12 pm

Stunning! Congrats.

Garnoch
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Garnoch » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks, all. It's hard to stop looking at and picking up and I know you've all been there haha. A couple of you mentioned the BBE and I agree agree. It's really why I had almost later called Steve to request a darker hog so even though I didn't expect it for some reason, I'm thrilled. Pastor Dave, if you're considering the S22s on your next one, I can't imagine you not being happy with them. I was unsure about them, but so glad I went with them on this one. Also, some may find this odd, but I was hoping for some nice streaking on this ebony board for character. Most of my guitars are ebony and all are very black, which I love, but I thought some streaks would look good on this guitar so I didn't request black on purpose. You can see some of the streaking in the pictures and it actually made me happy.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:20 pm

WOW that is a NICE instrument. Geeze. I mean WOW.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

ch23be
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ch23be » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:25 pm

You wanted simple and you got simply amazing. Congrats! :applause:
Chad~
Kiesel stuff: 1996 AE185 guitar,2013 JB200C guitar, 2012 DC125 guitar, 2013 ST300C guitar, 2014 AC175, 2015 JB24, 2017 Vader, Legacy 1 combo, Legacy 1 head with matching 4x12 cab, 1989 4x12 cab.

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:41 pm

+1 to all the compliments above!
I love how the black burst and the ebony board visually connect the body and the headstock together. Classy build from whatever angle you look at it. Congrats!

lefty1316
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby lefty1316 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:47 pm

Simply awesome! Love the darker Hog! great photos.. I also have S22's in my CT6 - love them!! :mrgreen:
http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=jzDzoUDeB0KmteYGklOCaw%3D%3D
2011 G&L ASAT Special - Blue Metallic
2008 G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy - Honeyburst
2007 G&L ASAT Classic - Butterscotch Blonde
2012 PRS Custom 24 - Fire Redburst
2000 Fender Deluxe Strat - Crimson Red Trans.

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Geddy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:02 pm

BRO!!!! Big Score!!!!

Wow, she is a stunning looking beauty. First off, great call on the natural DTS and BBE. But what a beautiful tone the hog sets with everything ... very warmulicious. The grain in the hog is really nice too. Great pictures and awesome angles (I'm trying to learn by example). The S22 look perfect on her and I'm glad you're enjoying them as much as I do on mine. Carvin makes a very good sounding covered pickup with unbelievable note clarity and separation with a lot of warmth, in the bridge and neck. But they also made the split coil sound so, so much better than a PRS (IMO it's always subjective), but I tried a lot of PRS's over the years and just felt like it wasn't for me, no bonding going on.

This is already an awesome week for guitars/basses with Appollyon's Crowned Jewel, and Garnoch's natural beauty and Mooseboys tomorrow ... Potatoehead's maybe tomorrow as well ... Ya hooo! All this good Karma is already making the flood waters in Toronto subside ... I never thought I would see flooding so close to home. It's very surreal seeing a major highway under 5' of water and cars bobing along in the water. It's a raised, well drained highway, but 126cm (just shy of 50" in an hour) of rainfall kind of put all the sewers beyond capacity. Our world is changing. Hopefully the storms tonight won't be as severe.

Check this out and I did see a few pictures of Toronto in 1954 when they got flooded, but yesterdays was worse:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=toronto+ ... 80&bih=605

I'll be saying prayers for all the families that have had to suffer through Mother Natures Wraths.

Cheers, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
CS624M Ginger
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Marshall 1960A,
Bogner 212C Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's.
Custom Pedalboard

tschurr
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby tschurr » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:04 pm

Beautiful guitar, and I too prefer the darker HOG. :applause:
Current Carvin Gear: CS4S(Classic Sunburst)
In The Oven: Bolt

scrapinger
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby scrapinger » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:30 pm

Congrats!
My Guitars
2011 Alder Bolt T with HSS
2008 Gibson Explorer
1981 Ibanez AS-50
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Mesa Boogie Mark IIb

LabyrinthShredder
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby LabyrinthShredder » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:32 pm

Whoa!! That came out really beautiful. I love the darker reddish hog as well, it's looks really tasty with the thick BBE. Gotta love DTS clear quilt, nice touch on the blackburst edges, gives it a lot of dynamics. Congrats on an amazing new guitar!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery