NGD - Purple SH445 > New Photos Added!

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

rabihz24
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: NGD - Purple SH445 > New Photos Added!

Postby rabihz24 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:20 am

Hi Matias, and welcome to the forum and hopefuly soon into the Carvin Family..
Coda and Bovine did a wonderful job explain the Carvin to ya but they forgot to mention an important factor..You said you come from the Ibanez school so do i. I was endorsed by Ibanez indirectly thro my local music store and i had a fleet of Ibanez that is still in my position including prestiges and a couple of Jems. When you say Ibanez it means thin and ultra thin necks for the ultimate shredd machine..
The DC600 which i own one as you already know by now, got a beefy neck. If you have small hands or used to Ibanez guitars you going to find it a bit hard to adjust to..What im getting into is, make sure you order the DC600 with the JB (jason becker) neck profile...You will thank me for this trust me..But beefier necks means beefier tone dont forget..
I love my DC600 and i think its an awesome platform..
Not throwing you of to much but have you looked at the JB model? or for less money the ST300? excellent 80s style platform with that ALder body that you like...
I myself own a white alder boddied JB and i love that thing so much..
here is a video to give you an idea of the tone and the aesthetics of the guitar:

http://youtu.be/eQyr1Uz8Zpk

for bridge pickups i would narrow it down to 2 choices if your a metal/hard rock/or rock player..
The M22SD is the highest output pickup Carvin makes..Its almost equivalent to Seymour's distortion TB6 and have a bit from the Dimarzio evolution...
for a more rounded pickup a la JB the C22B is your pickup...Im a fan of the C22B and the video above with me playing that JB is equipped with one..I would compare the C22B to a seymour JB with a bit less mids..

Regards
I rock, there for I am.
http://www.rabihsaad.net/

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: re: NGD - Purple SH445 > New Photos Added!

Postby MatiasTolkki » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:38 am

rabihz24 wrote:Hi Matias, and welcome to the forum and hopefuly soon into the Carvin Family..
Coda and Bovine did a wonderful job explain the Carvin to ya but they forgot to mention an important factor..You said you come from the Ibanez school so do i. I was endorsed by Ibanez indirectly thro my local music store and i had a fleet of Ibanez that is still in my position including prestiges and a couple of Jems. When you say Ibanez it means thin and ultra thin necks for the ultimate shredd machine..
The DC600 which i own one as you already know by now, got a beefy neck. If you have small hands or used to Ibanez guitars you going to find it a bit hard to adjust to..What im getting into is, make sure you order the DC600 with the JB (jason becker) neck profile...You will thank me for this trust me..But beefier necks means beefier tone dont forget..
Not throwing you of to much but have you looked at the JB model? or for less money the ST300? excellent 80s style platform with that ALder body that you like...
here is a video to give you an idea of the tone and the aesthetics of the guitar:

for bridge pickups i would narrow it down to 2 choices if your a metal/hard rock/or rock player..
The M22SD is the highest output pickup Carvin makes..Its almost equivalent to Seymour's distortion TB6 and have a bit from the Dimarzio evolution...
for a more rounded pickup a la JB the C22B is your pickup...Im a fan of the C22B and the video above with me playing that JB is equipped with one..I would compare the C22B to a seymour JB with a bit less mids..

Regards

Thanks for the welcome :D

The whole reason why I started to want a custom Carvin is because of the Jason Becker model. I was lucky enough to find a used one over here and try it before it got sold (which it disappeared almost immediately). I still love Ibanez and Ibanez will awlays be the maker I support #1 but until they provide a custom shop or even a "semi" custom shop, I will never be able to get exactly what I want. I have 5 Ibbys, all of them very different tonally due to LOTS of pickup changes (outside of my 2550, those stock IBZs are nice :D ).

I dont know if you saw my ramblings at jemsite about ESP, but they are rip off artists. Carvin gives me the best of both worlds: Good shredder neck like the JB with so many options for body wood and various things AND a low price that makes it accessible to many more people. Also, I DO want slightly thicker necks as the thickest neck I have right now is a Wizard III on my RG350EXZ. All the rest are crazy thin.

Now that you got me looking into the ST300, it looks really interesting. Going through the guitar builder to see what options I have.

BTW, how much is the cost different between the ST and DC? I'm outside North America so I can't see the prices (I have to send the specs to the dealer and they quote me a price).

rabihz24
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby rabihz24 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:18 am

MatiasTolkki wrote:
rabihz24 wrote:Hi Matias, and welcome to the forum and hopefuly soon into the Carvin Family..

Regards

The whole reason why I started to want a custom Carvin is because of the Jason Becker model. I was lucky enough to find a used one over here and try it before it got sold (which it disappeared almost immediately). I still love Ibanez and Ibanez will awlays be the maker I support #1 but until they provide a custom shop or even a "semi" custom shop, I will never be able to get exactly what I want. I have 5 Ibbys, all of them very different tonally due to LOTS of pickup changes (outside of my 2550, those stock IBZs are nice :D ).

I dont know if you saw my ramblings at jemsite about ESP, but they are rip off artists. Carvin gives me the best of both worlds: Good shredder neck like the JB with so many options for body wood and various things AND a low price that makes it accessible to many more people. Also, I DO want slightly thicker necks as the thickest neck I have right now is a Wizard III on my RG350EXZ. All the rest are crazy thin.

Now that you got me looking into the ST300, it looks really interesting. Going through the guitar builder to see what options I have.

BTW, how much is the cost different between the ST and DC? I'm outside North America so I can't see the prices (I have to send the specs to the dealer and they quote me a price).

Ya mind you the JB neck is thin but not as thin as a Prestige neck for ex..I think the ST300 is your guitar..
The ST300 and the DC600 starts at the same price..You can have an ST300 build with a plain maple board,alder boddy and SS frets for 1k over here...Incredible isnt it for a custom made in the USA...
I rock, there for I am.

http://www.rabihsaad.net/

Bovine
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bovine » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:57 pm

rabihz24 wrote:
MatiasTolkki wrote:

Regards

Ya mind you the JB neck is thin but not as thin as a Prestige neck for ex..I think the ST300 is your guitar..
The ST300 and the DC600 starts at the same price..You can have an ST300 build with a plain maple board,alder boddy and SS frets for 1k over here...Incredible isnt it for a custom made in the USA...

Love my ST300----my favorite Carvin so far! And I ordered it with the JB neck profile too. As Rabih says, it is thinner than the standard issue Carvin neck. But not by a lot; it's a pretty subtle difference imo so if you are expecting a neck as thin as Ibanez you may be disappointed. The JB neck profile is definitely the closest thing to what you're used to though, so I agree it is probably the right fit for your goals.

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:11 pm

Bovine wrote:
rabihz24 wrote:
MatiasTolkki wrote:

Regards

Love my ST300----my favorite Carvin so far! And I ordered it with the JB neck profile too. As Rabih says, it is thinner than the standard issue Carvin neck. But not by a lot; it's a pretty subtle difference imo so if you are expecting a neck as thin as Ibanez you may be disappointed. The JB neck profile is definitely the closest thing to what you're used to though, so I agree it is probably the right fit for your goals.

When I tried out the JB200, I felt a difference due to the thickness but it didn't really bother me. I got used to it pretty quick. Honestly, I DO want something a little thicker because I'm so used to thin necks. I need to have SOME variety in my life :) Besides, there isn't a company around that goes as thin as Ibanez so I'd be stupid to expect something that no one els besides them does :) The tone of the JB200 was amazing and it was the guitar that told me "you NEED at LEAST one Carvin" :D

Did the neck cost you extra as an option 50?

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:13 pm

rabihz24 wrote:
MatiasTolkki wrote:

Regards

Yeah thats AMAZING. None of the Japanese makers that have custom shops (ESP, Fujigen) can even get CLOSE to that price. Fujigen's cheapest custom guitar is around 3k, ESP well, they are thieves and scam artists. My RG2550 can play as good as their stupid Horizons and MIIs at 1/3 of the cost so yeah, let's forget they exist :lol:

Jlaura76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jlaura76 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:34 am

soundclips coming soon? :D
"Born and raised in South Detroit (which does not actually exist)"

Carvin Guitars:
DC127T, CT6M, CT6C, AE185, LB70

Carvin amp:
Vintage 16 and V3M

Wanted:
FG1S

scoti65
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby scoti65 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:11 pm

SWEET!!!! :shock: :applause:

Bovine
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bovine » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:14 am

MatiasTolkki wrote:
Bovine wrote:
rabihz24 wrote:
MatiasTolkki wrote:

Regards

When I tried out the JB200, I felt a difference due to the thickness but it didn't really bother me. I got used to it pretty quick. Honestly, I DO want something a little thicker because I'm so used to thin necks. I need to have SOME variety in my life :) Besides, there isn't a company around that goes as thin as Ibanez so I'd be stupid to expect something that no one els besides them does :) The tone of the JB200 was amazing and it was the guitar that told me "you NEED at LEAST one Carvin" :D

Did the neck cost you extra as an option 50?

Yes as I recall the JB Neck Option was about $40 extra for my ST300. And you have to specifically ask for it. For whatever reason it wasn't listed on the builder.

One last thing: earlier I think you mentioned a flamed maple neck. Bear in mind that Carvin offers a flamed maple NECK as well as a flamed maple FRETBOARD. Not sure which one you were interested in (or both) but just remember to write down exactly what you are wanting to order beforehand. Tiny differences in the wording can leave you kicking yourself when your actual guitar finally arrives. :wall:

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:01 pm

I meant fretboard, my bad :ninja:

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:37 am

I'm not sure there's a cooler understated purple on the planet. I've got to get a guitar with that finish! Love it man!

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:04 am

MarshallTSL wrote:I'm not sure there's a cooler understated purple on the planet. I've got to get a guitar with that finish! Love it man!

Thanks MarshallTSL! Between the black burst and the satin finish sometimes the guitar looks really dark, almost black. Then the light hits it and BAM! everything from deep purple to almost a deep magenta where the maple has some figuring.

CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:16 am

Coda wrote:
MarshallTSL wrote:I'm not sure there's a cooler understated purple on the planet. I've got to get a guitar with that finish! Love it man!

Thanks MarshallTSL! Between the black burst and the satin finish sometimes the guitar looks really dark, almost black. Then the light hits it and BAM! everything from deep purple to almost a deep magenta where the maple has some figuring.

I really wonder if a similar paint job would look really good on a DC600 or ST300. The purple with blackburst might be okay but the exact same color might be a little strange. It looks good because yours is a semi-hollow imo :D

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:27 am

MatiasTolkki wrote:I really wonder if a similar paint job would look really good on a DC600 or ST300. The purple with blackburst might be okay but the exact same color might be a little strange. It looks good because yours is a semi-hollow imo :D

Matias, I think we both know that you really want a solid purple - not a transparent stain. Pick up the phone and call 'em, bro (or send them an email). It's the only way you're going to know if you can get what you really want.

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:33 am

Coda wrote:
MatiasTolkki wrote:I really wonder if a similar paint job would look really good on a DC600 or ST300. The purple with blackburst might be okay but the exact same color might be a little strange. It looks good because yours is a semi-hollow imo :D

Matias, I think we both know that you really want a solid purple - not a transparent stain. Pick up the phone and call 'em, bro (or send them an email). It's the only way you're going to know if you can get what you really want.

Over here New Years is like a 3 day long vacation, AND Soundhouse (the dealer here in Japan) is closed on Weekends, so the soonest i'll be able to contact them is early next week. I just want to get a price quote from them on a couple ideas I have running through my head.

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: re: NGD - Purple SH445

Postby MarshallTSL » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:32 am

It is, isn't it?

xjbebop wrote:That satin purple is pure sex..... :applause:

Jlaura76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jlaura76 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:13 am

sound clips! sound clips! sound clips! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Carvin Guitars:

Carvin amp:

Vintage 16 and V3M

Wanted:

FG1S

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:22 am

Jlaura76 wrote:sound clips! sound clips! sound clips! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

OK, OK! I'll see if I can work on something this weekend. :D

Jlaura76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jlaura76 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:44 am

woo-hoo! I'm going to one day pull the trigger on an FG1 (matte finish on green flame). I'm living vicariously through your awesomeness...

Carvin Guitars:

Carvin amp:

Vintage 16 and V3M

Wanted:

FG1S

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:56 pm

Ok, kids, it's "NGD/NBD thread-bump Weekend!"

BUMP YOUR FAVES, or your own, or whatever.

Coda knows my view of this one.....this IMO is one of the sickest, best thought-out and just plain HORRIBLY SICK best looking Carvins EVER.

:ninja:

BUMP? HECK YEAH!
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery