New Custom Pedal Board - Construction Pics Added

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

New Custom Pedal Board - Construction Pics Added

Postby Geddy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:09 am

Well, with a few new pedals added to my collection, I apparently needed a new pedal board. That is, if I want all the pedals to be on the pedal board.

Ok, the first thing I wanted to do was to slightly modify the design of my first pedal board. I was inspired by another forum member who is no longer here, but his pedal board was a 2 tiered design that I though was much smarter. So in my design the front row of pedals would be on a flat, ground level portion of the board. These would be the most active or more commonly switched pedals.

I also broke down my two signals into effects loop and in front of amp. There is a direct footswtich to the amp that I wanted on the pedal board as well.

Effects loop: Delay, Mobius (modulation), Reverb.
Amp Footswitch
In Front: Guitar, Tuner, Wah, POG (used only for octave down blend), Klone V2 (OD), Triple Wreck (Triple Rectifier distortion), Plexitube, Big Green Pie (Fuzz).

For wiring purposes it's nice to keep the cable lengths short, but I think the convenience takes a higher incidence. So I started a list of preferred pedals for the bottom or top location on the board and I also tried to keep the wiring short. I had to make a few changes to my preference but no big deal. The wah was a must for the lower section.

My design used each pedals dimension as well as where the jacks and power chords where on the pedals. This allowed me to source out the required cable lengths with the correct connector (straight or angled). Yup, I had to build my own chords via planet waves kit. I will do this once the pedal board is completed.

I'll get some pictures up here Fri to show some in construction photos. Every evening is fully booked this week so I cannot get them up earlier than Fri. If any of you have any questions for me, fire away. I have a limited set of tools so I could not make dove-tail joints; I simply just use 1" 90 deg angle brackets. I'll show this in the photos.

I have a very flexible power bar which I use for all the wall warts. All of the receptacles on the power bar can rotate 90deg. I allowed enough room for this under the 2nd tier of the pedal board. The second tier will have the top on hinges to open the same way my previous pedal board did and I really liked that option a lot (ease of access for wiring).

SHOWING SOME OF THE NICE GRAIN HERE

The bottom of board with 8 mounted feet

Front of Pedal board with hinges mounted

Back of pedal board with latch mounted

Let the staining begin!

Cheers,
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Geddy on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CS624M Ginger
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Marshall 1960A,
Bogner 212C Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's.
Custom Pedalboard

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: New Custom Pedal Board

Postby MikeBass » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:45 am

Sounds cool. Do you get all your power from those wallwarts? Seems like it would be a lot but there's nothing wrong with it. If it's good enough for Eric Johnson and David Gilmour, it's good enough for you, right?
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: re: New Custom Pedal Board

Postby Geddy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:22 am

MikeBass wrote:Sounds cool. Do you get all your power from those wallwarts? Seems like it would be a lot but there's nothing wrong with it. If it's good enough for Eric Johnson and David Gilmour, it's good enough for you, right?

Oh for sure ... I'm no guitar pro, just an enthusiastic hobbiest. Most of the pedals don't even require 100mA. A standard North American 15A circuit is designed to trip at 12amps running steady for about 15 seconds. I think I will be powering up (worst case) 11 pedals and lets assume they draw 200mA each ... that's only 2.2 Amps. Lets say they draw 300mA (as the Strymon Mobius does) that's still only 3.3Amps. So we've got lots of room to play.

The overall Dimensions of the pedal board will be 20" Deep x 35" wide, with the bottom level using a deepth of 10" as does the 2nd tier. It's actually a very light too as you'll see, I do remove quite a bit of wood to double as ports for wires/chords to pass through and handles. I'll include pictures of my first board that I've used for just over a year. This new board actually uses less wood but it is larger.

Just out of curiousity, I could have sworn I read an interview on Eric Johnson some time back and I thought he only used batteries with his pedals, and a certain brand as well. He states that he can hear the difference when a different battery is used. It made me laugh, thinking he's got a killer set of ears. I've got a Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic and a Marshall 4x12 cab ... ya my ears are no way that good, not anymore. :wink:

CS624M Ginger

Custom Pedalboard

Sully
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sully » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:03 pm

Give us pics! I am thinking along the same lines but not so much stuff. Just big stuff.
Carvin Quad X Pre-Amp, Carvin RSP Redline Pre-Amp, Carvin GX412B British Speakers

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:55 am

This sounds like a well thought-out build! Are you leaving any space for future pedals or have you found your nirvana in your current pedal mix?

What are you making the board out of? (Wood, solid or ply, DTS quilt, etc?) I'd love to see progress pics as it comes together! :D
CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Geddy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:07 am

This pedal board will be (is) being made out of 1/2" poplar core laminate. It is basically plywood with a finished laminate of poplar on both sides. It is the same material I used for the last pedal board. It's both strong and light and it takes a stain quite well bringing out the poplar grain.

I'm a little disappointed of the quality of this wood this time; there are pockets where the poplar laminate is not glued down. :evil: It hsa slowed things down as I've had to glue several areas and one area actually broke right off. It wil only be visible on the inside of the board, but still :evil: It will all look good in the end.

The board will already have too many pedals :lol: but if pedal GAS starts to grow (again) I already have a backup board. I could even isolate the two signal chains, effects loop and in front of the amp. I'm not very good with the tap dancing routine especially when I have to switch two or three pedals. But there will be a little space on the board for another 1 or two pedals. A second delay would be a lot of fun for some things or just for different settings.

Cheers,

CS624M Ginger

Custom Pedalboard

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

re: New Custom Pedal Board - Construction Pics Added

Postby Geddy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:35 am

I added a few construction pics to the first post.

Cheers,

CS624M Ginger

Custom Pedalboard

iamsuperdan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iamsuperdan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:43 am

This is on my to do list!

Will be following this closely. Looks good so far!

:)

ejm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ejm » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:33 am

Geddy wrote: "Oh for sure ... I'm no guitar pro, just an enthusiastic hobbiest. Most of the pedals don't even require 100mA. A standard North American 15A circuit is designed to trip at 12amps running steady for about 15 seconds. I think I will be powering up (worst case) 11 pedals and lets assume they draw 200mA each ... that's only 2.2 Amps. Lets say they draw 300mA (as the Strymon Mobius does) that's still only 3.3Amps. So we've got lots of room to play."

Not to hijack this thread, but your calculations are WAAAAYYYYY off (but in your favor). I hope if anyone decides to expand on this that they start another thread.

In a nutshell:
VAC x IAC x efficiency = VDC x IDC
Assuming:
- Efficiency of the transformer/wall wart/power supply/ whatever = 80%
and
- Your pedals total current draw at 9 VDC = 400 ma

your total current draw out of the AC outlet being used will be 0.049 amps AC. That's 50 milliamps AC.

Anyway, back to the pedal board thread.

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:58 am

Looks good, man. Definitely plenty of space, I like it.

I would have no problem with doing the all-wallwart/power strip thing because it really is ideal for the pedals, but I've never had the space to do it satisfactorily. That board has the space, I'm a little jealous :lol:
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: re: New Custom Pedal Board - Construction Pics Added

Postby Geddy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:20 am

MikeBass wrote:Looks good, man. Definitely plenty of space, I like it.

I would have no problem with doing the all-wallwart/power strip thing because it really is ideal for the pedals, but I've never had the space to do it satisfactorily. That board has the space, I'm a little jealous :lol:

In this design (actually both of my designs) I wanted to hide as much cabeling and wires as possible, so I placed the power bar inside the board. You can always mount the skinny power bars on the back side of the pedal board and run the plug in power supplies through the board and out to the power bars. It's nice because you have really easy access to the power bar on/off switch. I do allow access to the on/off switch on my power bar in both my designs plus it's illuminated so it's easy to find. For me doing the plug in power supply vs batteries is a great reduction in maintenance which translates into more playing time. Or at least once the pedal board is done. :lol:

Cheers,

CS624M Ginger

Custom Pedalboard

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Geddy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:23 am

It's all good Bro. I wasn't doing power calculations just a total current load (worst case scenario), hence why I said only 3.3Amps. :wink: There really isn't a need to get into real and imaginary loads and efficiency as the current is so little. Keep in mind to, if the pedal is true bypass, is it going to draw any current with no signal on the output jack? Perhaps a trickle for DC biasing j-fets and other components, but these values are not mentioned on any spec sheet, just worst case scenarios. My calculations are strictly on the AC side anyway with the load being the wall warts. The plug in power supplies usually vary between 200mA-300mA at 120Vac, and around 400mA at 9Vdc.

Look at it this way: It's a parallel load of 11 wall warts all on a 120Vac circuit. You total current load is going to be the sum of the 11 wall warts, right? It has to be. Shoot me a PM if you still have any doubts Bro.

Cheers,

CS624M Ginger

Custom Pedalboard

southdakota
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby southdakota » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:48 pm

Very cool! I do some woodworking myself so I really appreciate what you have created here. Look forward to seeing it loaded with your pedals!
www.soundcloud.com/natebauer
www.facebook.com/retroactive.rock.roll
www.retroactivelive.com

------------------------------------------
Carvin GEAR:
x100B Series IV, Belaire, 80's DN612, EM900, TRx153n x 4, DCM3000L x 2, CS3, SC90

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Geddy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:24 pm

I like building stuff especially when I know it's going to be used.

I added a few more construction pics to the first post, and some of the staining is done for the top and inside. I'm liking the grain already!

Cheers,

CS624M Ginger

Custom Pedalboard

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:01 pm

Very nice - please keep us posted.
I can't wait to see this all lit up and running!

I can't seem to bring myself to use more than a few pedals. I bought one of the Pedal Train set ups with the hopes of putting my own pedal board together and 2 years later it's still sitting in my basement. :laughhard:

I think Ill just throw together a homemade 3 pedal board like a had years back.
I'll wait and see how yours turns out and steal some of your design innovations perhaps.
:mrgreen:

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Geddy » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:32 am

No worries, I have the plans for this one and I will photcopy it for you and mail it out. I just want to finish it up and note any "field changes" that were made or should be made.

Cheers,
Last edited by Geddy on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

CS624M Ginger

Custom Pedalboard

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:43 am

Geddy, this is coming out great! I really like the oval access holes - it's a very high end looking feature. Howd'ja make 'em? Hole saw - jig saw - router? Router template followed by a round over bit? Schweeeeet!!!

CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Geddy » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:52 am

Thanks Coda. With my small house I had to loose a lot of my nicer wood working tools and kept just the basic or more frequently used tools. I used a 2" hole saw and then a jig saw to cut along the two tangents to the circles. Then a lot of time with a file (I wish I hadn't sold my router) rounding those edges and of course lots of sanding. The filing and sanding is the majority of this job, but with some good tunes and a few wobbly pops the time flew by.

I'm liking the grain on the lower level, the stain really made it pop. Can't wait to see it after 3 or 4 coats of Urethane with a wet sand between each.

Cheers,

CS624M Ginger

Custom Pedalboard

Sully
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sully » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:55 pm

That grain pattern is rockin'!
Carvin Quad X Pre-Amp, Carvin RSP Redline Pre-Amp, Carvin GX412B British Speakers

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Geddy » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks Sully. Not bad for poplar! I did spend some time sorting through quite a few sheets. It 's really hard to see much of any grain until you start sanding and get down to 220 grain. But when I added the stain I was like "oh ya!!!". I stained the bottom sides this evening and the same thing. I like to think of my pedal board as a piece of furniture as it sits in the middle of the Smokey Tones Man Cave floor.

I'll do the first coat of Polyurethane tomorrow morning. 8)

Cheers,
Last edited by Geddy on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

CS624M Ginger

Custom Pedalboard

Return to Other Gear