NBD: Icon IC5 w/Antique Ash

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

NBD: Icon IC5 w/Antique Ash

Postby Toptube » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:22 pm

My first 5 string bass! Carvin has other body shapes which I like more, but this one has an option for narrow string spacing. It is super nice for my small, girly hands >_>

I've had this thing for about 30 minutes and it is already the best playing bass I have ever layed hands on. I was never concerned about the thickness, but I am positive (due to experience with necks of similar measurments) the neck is not as thick as the measurements posted on Carvin's site. It's a very nice medium/slim neck and is very flat on the back. which is super comfy for my thumb. Rather than an aggressive taper that is obviously rounded, like most necks.

Neck-through construction (which you can plainly see)
5 piece Walnut and White Limba neck (aka "Korina", Limba is similar to Mahogany).
Swamp Ash body wings with "Antique Ash Treatment".
Rosewood fretboard with mother of pearl dots
Vintage size (see: smallest possible) Stainless Steel Frets. (frets are usualy made from nickel. Stainless Steel is much harder and longer wearing).
White Graphtech nut (I like white ones)
chrome knobs and tuners
Radiused dual-coil pickups (the new Rad-HV pickups which debuted with the Xccelerator and Vanquish)
Push/pull knob to use passive mode or to turn on Carvin's own design active electronics.

The only specs I didn't have a choice on were the bridge, which is a black "A" style bridge from Hipshot. These are highly regarded so that's no big deal.
And the tuners are generic with Carvin's name on them. Not a big deal as I have never met a tuner that was particularly bad.

*Here's a dopbox link to see more/larger pictures (download the pics for full size or use the "view original" option in the bottom right of Dropbox's slideshow view):
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rdujdewqqz7i ... v1yVa?dl=0

*more pics here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9pu8un8j50l1 ... E2a?dl=0#/

Last edited by Toptube on Thu May 28, 2015 1:42 am, edited 11 times in total.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: NBD: Icon IC5 w/Antique Ash

Postby Toptube » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:23 pm

my only initial complaints are:
The frets have some factory crud on them. It wipes off no problem, but it's mildly annoying that I have to do that.

The fretboard has a little white piece of something adhered to it (see: it won't come off by rubbing my finger on it between the 15th and 16th fret). It looks like when you get a piece of egg shell in your egg. I don't really care, but it's another tiny issue. Hopefully it will come off with a needle.

on a more positive note: Carvin's nickle plated strings are super slick feeling. I'm not really into NPS strings and will be changing these. But FYI for those looking for smooth strings, these are it! (really, these feel smoother than Daddario XL, which I generally regard as the smoothest un-coated strings).

Mooseboy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Mooseboy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:32 pm

Oh man! That's gorgeous. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Is there any other color or stain applied to the wings aside from the AAT? They look like maybe trans black?

Jesus_Freak
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Jesus_Freak » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:07 pm

Beautiful bass man...!!!!!!!!!!

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: re: NBD: Icon IC5 w/Antique Ash

Postby Toptube » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:18 pm

Mooseboy wrote:Oh man! That's gorgeous. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Is there any other color or stain applied to the wings aside from the AAT? They look like maybe trans black?

Just AAT with clear gloss. No other color added.

The AAT finish comes through in these pics a touch darker than in reality, due to me having my camera set to "vivid", rather than "natural". It is super cool and I would get it again if I get another Carvin

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:55 pm

Nice! Those body sides look really cool, glad you're liking the bass. Congrats and enjoy :rockon:
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:05 am

I am happy to report: the stainless steel frets sound like frets.

I read the bassplayer magazine luthier roundtable. Most of them lamented Stainless frets for being too hard on their tools and too bright in tone.

I happen to prefer small frets. Maybe jumbos would have been a problem, but I chose vintage/regular frets. Had I been handed this bass without knowing they were stainless frets, I would not have questioned the frets.

and here's the FB image Carvin posted of this bass, about 3 days before it shipped:

charvaxe
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby charvaxe » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:10 am

That is super sharp!

:rockon:
Carvin Gear: Bolt Kit, V-3 Halfstack

Straightway video "I'm still Alive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTf5iqnS5c

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:18 am

I would never in a million years think of those wood and color choices, but I have to say it is incredibly good looking.

:applause:
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:34 am

Toptube wrote:Just AAT with clear gloss. No other color added.

Really? REALLY?

WOW! That came out great!!!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

PastorDave
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby PastorDave » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:11 pm

That came out really nice!!!!
Happy NBD!! :applause:
God bless, Pastor Dave
Taylor 314CE w/gold Gotoh locking tuners!
2012 212 Brown Marvelon
2013 AG100D ""
Carvin power amp and sub woofer in our church

toejam
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby toejam » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:17 pm

Wow! Love it. I thought it was trans black.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:28 pm

Tomorrow I'll take some pics with my camera in "natural" mode and try to get something more even. While certainly a rich and textured finish, it doesn't read to me as "trans-black". It has a lot of shades of gray and creamy tans and lighter colors.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:19 am

It's super rainy here, so no new pics today : \

The bass came with the older Rad-H pickups (red dots) instead of the new Rad-HV (white/silver dots) as I had requested. But all it took was a simple email and they are sending me a set of Rad-HV pickups!

I don't like these Rad-H at all. The highs and high mids are almost non-existant. The tone is otherwise tight and super modern. It reminds me of EMGs with the tone/highs rolled off.

The white spec on the fretboard came off rather easily, by carefully lifting it off with a needle.

It's otherwise nearly all aces here!

I love the way it looks. .
It sounds great unplugged. It has more punch and a deeper punch to it, when unplugged Vs. my other two neck-through basses from other brands. and a good amount of spank in the upper mids and highs. It sounds more like a bolt-on, really. Which is fantastic.

I'm really liking the feel. I've got a couple of sets of my fave strings on the way, to really dial it in. But so far so great. This is my first 5 string and this Icon felt pretty natural to play, the moment I first opened the case. Two days in and I'm rarely tripping on the B-string for my otherwise 4 string music. The flatter feel to the back of the neck is very comfy for my thumb. The narrow string spacing feels right for my smallish, girly hands. and the thickness, a medium slim, is also just right for my hands.

I don't know the weight, but it feels relatively light. Maybe 9 pounds. Which is great, because I'm a slim guy.

Balance on a strap is amazing. If you've ever strapped on an Ibanez SR or a Yamaha RBX, it hangs as well as those.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:29 am

Toptube wrote:my only initial complaints are:
The frets have some factory crud on them. It wipes off no problem, but it's mildly annoying that I have to do that.

That's just the antique fret treatment! :mrgreen:

And my goodness, that's a gorgeous bass! :applause:
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on FaceBook
My YouTube Channel

Garnoch
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Garnoch » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:08 pm

That is SICK. Great piece of ash and I'm digging that finish more and more. Surprisingly what stood out to me was the rosewood board. I'm not a big rosewood fan, but that looks beautiful!

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:22 pm

Garnoch wrote:That is SICK. Great piece of ash and I'm digging that finish more and more. Surprisingly what stood out to me was the rosewood board. I'm not a big rosewood fan, but that looks beautiful!

Yes I was lucky and Carvin grabbed for me a couple of fantastic Ash body wings! I didn't ask for it, but I do prefer the swooping grain lines for Ash. Rather than ash grain which is more straight and oriented horizontally, like this:

don't get me wrong, that JB looks amazing. But if I were choosing my own ash, I would have chosen something like what they gave me for my Icon :D

I did ask, subject to availability, for them to maybe grab me a neck blank with as dark of walnut as possible. I think they tried to meet me in the middle with that super dark and rich rosewood. I'm totally happy with the final, visual result of the entire bass. :applause:

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:19 pm

The Rad-HV pickups should be here Saturday

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:29 pm

New dropbox gallery. Don't forget, you can download the pics or press a button in the lower right of the gallery viewer, to view full size.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9pu8un8j50l1 ... VfE2a?dl=0

I got some new pics today which better represent how this thing actually looks. The first images were a little too rich, making the finish appear darker than reality. I guess some people even thought it was trans-black??!!

A few pics outdoors, with sun obscured by overcast clouds. A few pics indoors, with indirect light from a smallish window.

**BONUS ROUND: Featuring the Ultimate Soft Case. Which is totally awesome! Even fits a class D amp head in the front pocket, without struggle.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lcu82u532q6j ... nekka?dl=0

Spamspam
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Spamspam » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:33 pm

That, sir, is spectacular. Very close to the DC7X I was envisioning in my future.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery