My First Pedalboard

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

My First Pedalboard

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:21 pm

In the 90s, I had three pedals. Sold two because they sucked. Then a few years ago, I bought the RP350, thinking it would be everything I needed. Ugh...I hated programming it...and most effects sounded like butt.

So, I decided to build my first pedalboard of thoroughly-researched, and test-driven pedalS.

So...here's where I'm at so far.

To the left of the tuner, I will be putting in a JHS buffer., and a fun alternative to the ubiquitous/cliche Altoids tin that I paid way too much for. The Ibanez Powerlead is a pedal I've had since about the mid-90s. The switch is mostly shot, but I tell you what...it's sound is not as terrible as you might think. It'll stay until I can find a better heavy distortion for da brootalz. The Digitech RP350 is only staying until I can replace it with a MXR Carbon Copy (won on Ebay this morning), and possibly a Strymon Mobius. Underneath will be a VooDoo Pedal Power 2.

Mounting the Dunlop wah is kind of a pain.The rubber feet on the bottom of the pedal are too tall so the Velcro on the bottom of the pedal doesn't reach the board...but when you take the rubber feet off, and try to put the screws back in, the screws are too long. You will end up needing washers for those screws, but then the Velcro still isn't tall enough to grab the paddleboard. Even if I got shorter screws, the heads would still cause issue, me thinks. I think I will go shopping for some washers shaped like a number eight so that I can screw this down directly on the sides...not ideal, though. It's the heaviest, so it'll probably be okay getting screwed down tight so it doesn't fall off when the pedalboard gets moved.

EHX announced a Nano POG at NAMM, so I MAY swap out for it, as long as it sounds at least as good as this one, just to save pedalboard real estate.

I may move the RP350 to the bottom. The expression pedal might be easier to use up front, as that would put the last pedal in the chain at the top, so the last cable to the front of the amp would be easy-access...however, I was planning on using the RP350 in the effects loop, and having it up at the top would be easier for plugging it in...but then again, if I use it in the loop, it won't be heard in the looper...hmm...

The Iron Horse overdrive has an unexpected amount of gain...like...it goes from 1 to 2 to 8...which is a shame, because I think it sounds really good, but I want a 3, 4 or 5. Not sure how long this one will stay.

Current front-of-amp signal path:
Tuner > (soon) JHS buffer > EHX Micro POG > Dunlop 95Q Variable Wah with soft switch, auto return and 15db boost > EHX Bass Soul Food overdrive > Walrus Audio Iron Horse overdrive > Ibanez Power Lead distortion pedal > TC Electronics Ditto Looper X2 > Carvin V3M amplifier

Effects Loop signal path:
Digitech RP350 > (Soon) MXR Carbon Copy delay (or, it might all just go at the end of the front-of-amp chain...)

Thoughts?

Oh, and it's all mounted on a PedalTrain 3. They just announced a whole revamped product line for 2015 launching soon...they told me that they were raising prices soon for the first time in almost 10 years, so get yours now! Sure, the bags for the new ones are supposedly a bit nicer, but as they are already pricey, I don't feel like I would get more value out of the new line. I thought about getting platforms/risers for the pedals in the back, but then I heard the unit won't fit in its bag.
:think:

Image[/QUOTE]

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: My First Pedalboard

Postby MikeBass » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:03 am

Bass Soul Food with guitar?
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:22 am

Indeed. There are lots of bass players who use the original, and even EHX shows the bass version in use with a guitar in their demo videos. It's supposed to be more even across lower registers, but the main benefit is the blend knob. The "guitar" version doesn't have it.

http://youtu.be/RMt1qhQkqd4

I also may occasionally put a bass through it. I used to borrow a bass crybaby...while I havent A/B against others except the "standard" model, I remember liking it for guitar so much more than the guitar model

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:41 pm

Nice board! I used to have that PowerLead pedal. It was one of the first pedals I ever had. I can't remember what I did with it.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter Tone Block 201
Quilter Interblock 45
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: re: My First Pedalboard

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:45 pm

2Plus2isChicken wrote:It was one of the first pedals I ever had. I can't remember what I did with it.

I've heard that from a lot of people about either this pedal, the yellow "calassic metal" or the blue "digital delay"...but nobody remembers what happened to them. :lol:

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:55 pm

It probably broke. I'm pretty sure every one of my "first pedals" quit working. My Metal Zone eventually wouldn't work with a battery so I used it for years with a power supply, then I think it finally kicked the bucket. I don't miss these pedals much though because of ones I've bought since like the Pinnacle and the Riot, but they were fun back when I was first playing.

I remember when I bought the PowerLead, being a Metallica fan at the time, I told the guy at the store I wanted a "heavy" distortion pedal. He sold me the PowerLead. They must have been trying to get rid of them at the time, because I don't recall it being good for metal riffs. I think my older brother used it more than I did because his amp didn't have a footswitch and my Fender Ultimate Chorus had a decent gain channel (for solid state).

Anyway, pedalboards are fun. I never even thought about having pedals on a board like that until a few years ago. Whoever invented that idea is/was a genius. :mrgreen:
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter Tone Block 201
Quilter Interblock 45
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:01 pm

Yeah, those sondtanks weren't known for their durability. :)

It's been a lot of fun, and a whole new world of GAS opened up. The trouble is I just can't justify a giant board, but I do love a whole bunch of weird unique pedals...but having the board does create a real estate limit. :lol:

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:04 pm

If I had the money I'd probably have 20 pedalboards because I have enough GAS to be the CEO of Exxon/Mobil. :P

The real estate limit is a problem, but that's what a second board is for.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter Tone Block 201
Quilter Interblock 45
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:48 am

I have an old Ibanez Digital stereo chorus (from 1985, it was only made 85-86). They had some REALLY awesome pedals back then outside of the TS pedals. That's a nice pedal board :D
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RGR580x2 (Pearl white, Deep Wine)
RG5000
RG750VP
1996 Ibanez Blazer reissue

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
JB200C the Purple demon of Nagoya
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Geddy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:03 pm

Hey Spud, nice board Bro. I have the same problem with my wah, dang screws. You could try getting some counter sunk screws cut to the right length or, drill through the bottom of your board right where the pedals foot screws are. Remove the feet and just screw mount the pedal to the board. I'm thinking of doing this with my board as well (a wooden board), or I could boar 4 holes where the feet would be, but this isn't nearly as secure.

Cheers,
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
CS624M Ginger
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Marshall 1960A,
Bogner 212C Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's.
Custom Pedalboard

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: My First Pedalboard

Postby arahobob » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:23 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Mounting the Dunlop wah is kind of a pain.The rubber feet on the bottom of the pedal are too tall so the Velcro on the bottom of the pedal doesn't reach the board...but when you take the rubber feet off, and try to put the screws back in, the screws are too long. You will end up needing washers for those screws, but then the Velcro still isn't tall enough to grab the paddleboard. Even if I got shorter screws, the heads would still cause issue, me thinks. I think I will go shopping for some washers shaped like a number eight so that I can screw this down directly on the sides...not ideal, though. It's the heaviest, so it'll probably be okay getting screwed down tight so it doesn't fall off when the pedalboard gets moved.

[/quote]

How about something like this?

Cut a small section longer than the pedal, screw the feet screws through it and then screw down into the pedal board on the outside.
I think it'd work all right - you could paint it black when finished.
That flat hanger strap stuff can be pretty handy. I used it over top of pedals before on some home made boards back in the day. A little more rough, but it got the job done.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:47 pm

arahobob: I use that stuff all the time for other things. Didn't think of it here, but it's a good idea.

Geddy: I have thought about drilling holes through the bottom of the board, as well. It's square-stock aluminum and pretty strung, but it's fairly thin. I feel like putting holes in it might compromise it's structural integrity.

There is someone who sells replacement base plates. You remove the feet, and screw through this plate, the existing plate, and into the pedal with the existing screws. It's thick enough to clear the heads of the screws and doesn't "hurt" the base plate. It's like 20 bucks, so I'll try to Dremmel something similar, I think, maybe out of pegboard-type fiberboard, or something.

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Geddy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:26 pm

I like the base plate idea a lot. Do you mind if I rip that off and use it? :lol: I've been thinking of different ways of doing this and I don't know why I didn't think of that before ... I've done it plenty of times in the past for standoffs, mounting disconnect switches, imperial to metric mounting plates; this is no different. I even have some left over wood I could stain and finish up.

Cheers,

CS624M Ginger

Custom Pedalboard

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:29 pm

Here is the product I'd tr to knock off.
https://stompin-ground.com/products/sgwahplate.htm

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Geddy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:37 pm

Oh that's even easier. They just mount the plate to the board via velcro. I like that, no holes through the pedal board and the base plate doesn't have to extend outside of the pedals foot print. I wish I had a piece of aluminum kicking around about 1/4" thick would be perfect (preferably anodized), but I could still do the same thing with wood too. Thanks Bro, I have a plan now.

Cheers,

CS624M Ginger

Custom Pedalboard

jojoman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: My First Pedalboard

Postby jojoman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:21 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Mounting the Dunlop wah is kind of a pain.

When I need to mount something difficult I get the huge zip ties.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:37 pm

I thought about that. I ended up getting the "stomping ground" platform I linked above. Just ordered it this morning, so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

I've also received an MXR Carbon Copy, and a JHS buffer. On the way, I have a Mooer Lofi Machine and a Boss Acoustic Simulator (both of which should be arriving this week). I tried the Mooer Acoustikar, but just couldn't get a tone that sounded like it was even TRYING to sound like an acoustic. At least the Boss sounds like a bad acoustic guitar synth, or something.
:)

Next will be a phaser/flanger, a tremolo...and possibly a switcher that will let me switch the time-based effects from before my Ditto Looper, into the effects loop. The MXR Carbon Copy sounds like ass in front of the amp...but if I leave it in the effects loop, I can't record "backing tracks" on the Looper with any of the modulators/delays.

Oh, and I bought this to use instead of the traditional Altoids tin. :laughhard:

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Geddy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:20 am

Right on Spudmunkey, it sounds like the mad science lab is coming, mystiying mints and all. I've tried putting things like reverb, delay, chorus, vibe or any other modulation infront of the amp and it just sounds like a$$. In the effects loop, awesome!!! You have a difficult situation with your setup and recording backing tracks. I don't even have any suggestions for you at this point, but I know you'll figure something out. I'll try and help if you can break down what's involved with your recording and your signal chain ... PM if you want. Or perhaps some other people on here with a similar setup can help you out better than I could. In any case, You're having a pedal Christmas in February, so I think thanks a good thing!

Cheers,

CS624M Ginger

Custom Pedalboard

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:02 pm

First world problems: just realized I'll need a 2nd power supply to power all of these pedals. :-p

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:03 pm

I've wanted to build a pedal, but I thought re-building an existing one, replacing a couple parts, would be easier and faster.

I tore apart my Ibanez Soundtank Power Lead to see how I could mount it in a metal housing, and replace the switch, knobs and LED. Of course, all of the parts mounted onto the circuitboard seem proprietary, so I can't find a switch or pots that have the same number of connection points. D'oh! It's also about 1/8" too wide and long to fit into the "standard" housing, so I'd need the wider almost-double-wide enclosure, which is a bummer...and the copper traces on the board are so close to the edge, I don't dare try to nip/file the board to get it to fit the smaller enclosure.

:wall:

Return to Other Gear