What jobs do you guys have?

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: What jobs do you guys have?

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:52 pm

In high school, I barely passed Algebra. I just couldn't jive with the teaching style, and heard the "other" algebra teacher might have suited my learning style better. One serviced one half of the alphabet, and the other served the other. However, when it was my turn for Algebra 2, the school decided to switch them that year. So I got the same teacher again, and failed Algebra 2.

And then there was only one teacher who taught the "make-up" Algebra 2....and guess who it was. :lol: I got a perfect 100% in my Physics class, but, for the life of me, I couldn't *get* algebra beyond the basics.

After two tries, I gave up and took "consumer math" to get my last math credit. AND GUESS WHO THE TEACHER WAS THAT SEMESTER WHILE THE "OTHER" MATH TEACHER WAS RECOVERING FROM SURGERY! :laughhard: At least it was easy enough that I could deal. Ha!

Thankfully, while he was ALSO a phys ed teacher, I was always in the other half of the alphabet...so instead of that guy for another class, I got my dad's old gym teacher and track coach. he kept calling me by my dad's name. :lol: :wall:

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:47 am

spudmunkey wrote:In high school, I barely passed Algebra. I just couldn't jive with the teaching style, and heard the "other" algebra teacher might have suited my learning style better. One serviced one half of the alphabet, and the other served the other. However, when it was my turn for Algebra 2, the school decided to switch them that year. So I got the same teacher again, and failed Algebra 2.

And then there was only one teacher who taught the "make-up" Algebra 2....and guess who it was. :lol: I got a perfect 100% in my Physics class, but, for the life of me, I couldn't *get* algebra beyond the basics.

I, and many others (very smart people) could NOT get calculus in my senior year in HS. But I aced physics, but it may have been at a simpler level. I graduate and go to college. I'm shaking in my shoes over Calc 101, but also take Physics 101.
It was like a flip of a switch. I finally understood integrals and Calc equations and aced that. Physics 101 was a weed-out class, ... and I guess I, and many other (very smart people), ... were weeds. :lol: The average grade on the tests were a D, so C's became an A on the curve.
I swear the instructor was an extreme douche. Taught straight from a dry BORING text book, regurgitated. I once raised a hand to ask a question. "Excuse me, Mr so-so ...".
"What, what did you call me?"
"Uh, Mr ..." (I may have even muttered, well it isn't Ms, Mrs, ... :lol: )
"No! ... look at the board!"
Me = :? :oops:
Him - "PROFESSOR" douche bag!
:evil: :roll: :wall:
(Not a pleasant experience as a Freshman at Rutgers in NJ. ... So I majored in Comp Sci. :mrgreen: )
... carry on ...
:hijack:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Treadplatedual » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:51 am

Reminds me of thermodynamics my sophomore year. I had the 1st-time teacher, who was a nice guy but couldn't explain things a way I could understand. My friends who had the 30+ year teacher of the same subject had no issues.
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:00 am

wickid wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:In high school, I barely passed Algebra. I just couldn't jive with the teaching style, and heard the "other" algebra teacher might have suited my learning style better. One serviced one half of the alphabet, and the other served the other. However, when it was my turn for Algebra 2, the school decided to switch them that year. So I got the same teacher again, and failed Algebra 2.

I, and many others (very smart people) could NOT get calculus in my senior year in HS. But I aced physics, but it may have been at a simpler level. I graduate and go to college. I'm shaking in my shoes over Calc 101, but also take Physics 101.
It was like a flip of a switch. I finally understood integrals and Calc equations and aced that. Physics 101 was a weed-out class, ... and I guess I, and many other (very smart people), ... were weeds. :lol: The average grade on the tests were a D, so C's became an A on the curve.
I swear the instructor was an extreme douche. Taught straight from a dry BORING text book, regurgitated. I once raised a hand to ask a question. "Excuse me, Mr so-so ...".
"What, what did you call me?"
"Uh, Mr ..." (I may have even muttered, well it isn't Ms, Mrs, ... :lol: )
"No! ... look at the board!"
Me = :? :oops:
Him - "PROFESSOR" douche bag!
:evil: :roll: :wall:
(Not a pleasant experience as a Freshman at Rutgers in NJ.)
... carry on ...
:hijack:

I had several incompatible teachers in highschool, from geometry through trig. It ranged from teachers who had long checked out, to being perpetually stoned, and trying to abstractly define even more abstract concepts. I struggled through, and was a horrible test taker. I could do the work on the fly in a casual setting, but the silence of a testing time broke my concentration and I'd often leave tests blank, forgetting everything, and then remembering half the problems and solving them within a few minutes after leaving the classroom. That problem followed me into college, where I was forced to take trig (somehow my passing it with a C in high school was insufficient), and failed it 3 times, from the same teacher. I took tutoring, and in that casual setting, I had zero issues. The teacher saw that, and at one point gave me a test from the final. I had it completed in under 3 minutes orally/mentally. It took them 20 minutes to solve their own problem, and they asked why I was failing. It was never listed as a learning disability, so I just took my lumps and went on. Not that it mattered; I soon ran out of any funding and had to get a job to exist, which prevented me from going to college, followed shortly by crashing my car, and losing said job. Bad times, indeed.

I remember another teacher who taught biology 101, but incorporated all the levels into one class. Their outlook on the topic was that "nobody passes the first time," and that person would summarily fail, literally, everyone except their favorite, regardless of test scores, or even if the questions were answered correctly. That person failed most people because they didn't even show up to give the final. The college did nothing because of "tenure." That teacher said I wasn't college material, and is why they failed me (I would get every question right on tests, and get a 0%).

Too many bad memories of early life. I should write a book on "crap that happened in WV."
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Ripped off of grades in college stories? Sub-standard fully tenured professors? You want stories? just let me know
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:23 pm

gumbynotpokey wrote:Ripped off of grades in college stories? Sub-standard fully tenured professors? You want stories? just let me know

I'm all ears (or eyes, in this very obvious case of text-based communication).
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Treadplatedual » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:19 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:
gumbynotpokey wrote:Ripped off of grades in college stories? Sub-standard fully tenured professors? You want stories? just let me know

I'm all ears (or eyes, in this very obvious case of text-based communication).

+1
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

kmd09
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby kmd09 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:32 am

Forgot about this post. As of 12/31/17, I'm officially a retired Dentist. Although I'm actually jobless, my current "job" is House Husband. My wife is still working so I'm doing almost ALL of the house chores. No complaints, life is good. I'm playing my Carvins more, a good thing and have purchased some more gear (Splawn QR, Marshall JVM 210H, Rivera Rockcrusher attenuator and a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe OD pedal), also a good thing.
AC375 DEEP RED ON FLAME
V49K DEEP NIGHTBURST ON FLAME
CT624M DEEP AQUABURST ON FLAME
CS624S DEEP PURPLE ON QUILT
SH575 DEEP ORANGEBURST ON FLAME
'79 CM130
PRS SE245
X100B
V3 1/2 STACK
AG100D
BX700, BRX10.2, BRX15.3
FENDER STRAT, TACOMA DM-18, TRAYNOR YGL3-100 MKIII, YAMAHA G1OO-212

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:42 pm

More gear and more time to play is never a bad thing.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Return to The Backstage Lounge