NGD Hagstrom Northen Series Super Swede.. SCORE!!

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: NGD Hagstrom Northen Series Super Swede.. SCORE!!

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:43 am

I didn't know where else to put this, but I know at least one member here would appreciate this--Canon M--rundown of all of the Lundgren PAF style humbuckers including the Smooth Operator, which he modified to sound more like the vintage original 70's Hagstrom Custom 58's (which the CHINESE--not the Northen/Lundgren reissues sound nothing like, even though they do sound pretty nice).

Another very useful Johan S vid.. this guy hits all the marks, the Carr Merc, the Lundgren buckers, etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf-0MaQThhQ
Last edited by Doctor Turn on Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:18 am

That's a really good video for hearing differences right after each other. I like that quick-change pickup guitar. Slide it in and out of the slot!!!

For a lot of years, I'd been thinking that the guitar world needs to go to a system where pickups use a connector system for easy changes instead of hard wiring. And pot manufacturers need a better way of attaching wires, like screw terminals or connectors. Man, I hate soldering, especially to the case of a pot.

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:46 am

X1Glider wrote:That's a really good video for hearing differences right after each other. I like that quick-change pickup guitar. Slide it in and out of the slot!!!

For a lot of years, I'd been thinking that the guitar world needs to go to a system where pickups use a connector system for easy changes instead of hard wiring. And pot manufacturers need a better way of attaching wires, like screw terminals or connectors. Man, I hate soldering, especially to the case of a pot.

Seymour Duncan's Liberator system does this, but it's somewhat limited in terms of wiring options.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:56 am

EMG uses a sort of "modular" connector or harness for their pickups, don't they?

In one guitar, I used computer parts to do this when I replaced the pickups, specifically the 4-pin power connectors...but after I did it, I never changed the pickups in that guitar again, so I didn't get to "use" the upgrade.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:59 am

What I didn't say in the original post is, too bad he didn't use a more PAF-worthy guitar.. or better amp. It sounds like it's coming thru the worst ancient Boss modeler. Very thin and ice-picky.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:38 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
X1Glider wrote:That's a really good video for hearing differences right after each other. I like that quick-change pickup guitar. Slide it in and out of the slot!!!

Seymour Duncan's Liberator system does this, but it's somewhat limited in terms of wiring options.

I was thinking more like a card slot connector or something similar to a ic socket it could just press down on. Probably a hundred ways to do it.

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:42 am

spudmunkey wrote:EMG uses a sort of "modular" connector or harness for their pickups, don't they?

In one guitar, I used computer parts to do this when I replaced the pickups, specifically the 4-pin power connectors...but after I did it, I never changed the pickups in that guitar again, so I didn't get to "use" the upgrade.

Cables like that aren't shielded and the gauge is so heavy that it adds too much resistance and capacitance to the circuit.

The EMG stuff is a more appropriate wire gauge and the connectors are a much smaller Molex flat type so it's a lower profile for the pickup cavity. Too bad I don't like EMGs. :stir:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:36 pm

Oh, for sure...make no mistake: I didn't use the cables in the photo above...I used the wires from the pickups, and appropriate pickup wire on the other end...but then I used that modular connector.

In that build they worked fine, but in the next one was planning on using the type you'd see on a 4-pin PWM/controllable fan connector or maybe SATA power, but the opportunity hadn't come up.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:59 am

Mine just showed up . . . :woot:

Sadly, I have one on the bench that only needs about an hour, and one complete pup change ahead of these mods but then the Smooth Operators are going in my Epi Dot and the Spiced Ps are going in my Godin Core. Hopefully sooner than later. With my health, always a :?:

Will "hopefully" advise on the tonal bliss shortly . . .

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:52 pm

Congrats. Don't forget that tone report.

Interesting and very nice of him that he modded the Operators to Northen spec! Very cool of him and speaks volumes to the kind of dude Johan is. He's already a bit of a living legend but he takes the piss out of himself at every move.

Was playing my Northen Super all this morning thru the Carr. Pure PAF Bliss.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Return to Other Gear