Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby Treadplatedual » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:56 pm

wickid wrote:
OK, not a Kiesel thought, but it *IS* random (and not worth its own thread) ...

I'm *SO* relieved, I was given (ANOTHER) 24 "working" hours to contact the IRS or they will arrest me ... OVER THE PHONE!!! :lol:
I've been getting a rash of these msgs again this year since Monday. Caller ID "masked", of course, most said San Antonio Tx, ALtamont NY, and recently Aberdeen Md. The lastest msg said something about calling the local "cops" (yeah, 'cause the phone-IRS uses that term) because they are "for" (???) serious ... and then they didn't have the cajones (or command of the English language?) to complete the msg.
Nothing a shotgun to the scrotal region couldn't cure. :evil:

As a banker, I've heard this story and/or gotten calls from customers approximately 1.21 billion times.

*sigh* It's like James Veitch (totally worth watching) says - these scams are really outlandish purely so the only people who respond are too dumb to realize it's fraud.

brento73 wrote:The thing to remember is that those straps, etc. are only killing the open strings, so unless you're playing at/below the strap, it doesn't really effect anything.

Also, back in the day, bands like Metallica would tape down unused strings when tracking rhythm parts.... like... with masking tape. So, if the whole riff is only on the E and A strings, the other four are literally taped to the neck to keep them from making any noise.

I have fretwraps on all my guitars, but it's not to dampen the strings while playing solos (honestly, just get better at muting the ones you're not playing lol, that's just sloppy), it's to get rid of the sympathetic resonance in behind the nut and between the bridge and the stopbar/body - if you're recording, especially high-gain, that stuff can ring through and really mess up your takes.
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:37 pm

Treadplatedual wrote:I have fretwraps on all my guitars, but it's not to dampen the strings while playing solos (honestly, just get better at muting the ones you're not playing lol, that's just sloppy), it's to get rid of the sympathetic resonance in behind the nut and between the bridge and the stopbar/body - if you're recording, especially high-gain, that stuff can ring through and really mess up your takes.

Have you seen or tried Jimmy Clips?

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Treadplatedual » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:11 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
Treadplatedual wrote:I have fretwraps on all my guitars, but it's not to dampen the strings while playing solos (honestly, just get better at muting the ones you're not playing lol, that's just sloppy), it's to get rid of the sympathetic resonance in behind the nut and between the bridge and the stopbar/body - if you're recording, especially high-gain, that stuff can ring through and really mess up your takes.

Have you seen or tried Jimmy Clips?

Hah! Forgot I had those, yes indeed! I haven't used one in a bit, but will definitely be putting it on the new CS3 coming in for recording.
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:52 pm

For some reason, I was sitting here thinning, "You know...I don't think I've ever seen anyone with a Carvin or Kiesel playing Primus."

So, a few seconds and a YouTube search later, I found this guy, who does pretty good:
https://youtu.be/V_pdLxDRvwY

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:41 pm

I kinda want an SCB, with a walnut body, and rear natural clear...but I don't want the break to be on the edge of the flat "top" or in the middle of the bevel like it would be if I ordered a top. I want everything that you see on the "front" from straight-on to be painted, with only the flat sides and back being clear. Chrome hardware. Royal ebony FB with offset (not staggered) abalone dots.

Then, the "face" of the guitar is this color:
https://houseofkolor.com/kolors/detail/ ... ref=kolors

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:12 am

spudmunkey wrote:I kinda want an SCB, with a walnut body, and rear natural clear...but I don't want the break to be on the edge of the flat "top" or in the middle of the bevel like it would be if I ordered a top. I want everything that you see on the "front" from straight-on to be painted, with only the flat sides and back being clear. Chrome hardware. Royal ebony FB with offset (not staggered) abalone dots.

(The quote went but w/o the reply???)
I've wanted a CT3 in this color (or similar) for years. Imagine that on the contours. 8)
(yeah, bye bye "3" :? :( )

(Our old pics / gallery we loaded are gone, huh?)
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:33 pm

spudmunkey wrote:I kinda want an SCB, with a walnut body, and rear natural clear...but I don't want the break to be on the edge of the flat "top" or in the middle of the bevel like it would be if I ordered a top. I want everything that you see on the "front" from straight-on to be painted, with only the flat sides and back being clear. Chrome hardware. Royal ebony FB with offset (not staggered) abalone dots.

You like that pearlescent blue, eh spud?

(I recall you asking, when I showed some pics of those vintage Hagstrom double cuts/HIIN, you asked if they ever came in pearl blue).
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:45 pm

I do...I wish my car came in a blue option. For thei particular hypothetical build, i've got a very specific blue tone in mind to work with the walnut, which I'm not sure the more "green-y" blue of the Pearl Blue would do as well.

I've also always wanted a metallic navy blue Bolt with a black/white/black layered pickguard and chrome hardware. :think:

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:57 pm

Do they weight relieve the SBC? Of course, the particular chunk of walnut matters and my TL is a neck thru but it is a back breaker. Now, I love the guitar, love the new SD pups on it too BTW, and play it all the time but . . . nearly 14 lbs. Bevel will help relieve some of that I guess?

Just sharing my experience. And I love that color you chose too. But, if you don't already have a walnut exposed front . . . they are truly a work of art!

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:34 am

canon_mutant wrote:Do they weight relieve the SBC? Of course, the particular chunk of walnut matters and my TL is a neck thru but it is a back breaker. Now, I love the guitar, love the new SD pups on it too BTW, and play it all the time but . . . nearly 14 lbs. Bevel will help relieve some of that I guess?

Just sharing my experience. And I love that color you chose too. But, if you don't already have a walnut exposed front . . . they are truly a work of art!

14 pounds on a TL60?! Must've had some depleted uranium in stock.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:43 am

They offer chambering, but it's optional and only if you get a top.

In theory anyway, a neck through is more likely to be heavier than others.

Even though the top would be covered by paint, chambering might be a good idea with the walnut body of this hypothetical, not-at-all real guitar.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:30 am

spudmunkey wrote:I do...I wish my car came in a blue option. For thei particular hypothetical build, i've got a very specific blue tone in mind to work with the walnut, which I'm not sure the more "green-y" blue of the Pearl Blue would do as well.

I've also always wanted a metallic navy blue Bolt with a black/white/black layered pickguard and chrome hardware. :think:

I have a steel or aluminum vape device in a pearlish sort of a blue that you'd probably like (if you were into that sort of thing). I usually carry two around, one with a sweet pleasant flavor that I hit at just for the pleasure of it, and that one is a full on mod with a display for all the million adjustments you can make of wattage, temps, etc, that you can change the liquid tank up top.

I also carry one with a juice that replicates the taste of a cigarette for when I need to combat those specific urges. This blue one is that one. It's still a not very cheap device, but it's simpler, since the flavor and the demands it imposed on the device will never change. So it's no endlessly adjustable like the other:

It looks in the pic a little greener than it actually is in person.

It's nowhere near exact to your color, but it gets in the ballpark of that blue mixed with that luminous steely quality.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:24 pm

I've been looking for a VT16 head for a good long while, to compliment my V3m. A couple years at least. Checking ebay regularly, using the various "search all Craigslist" sites, and Reverb. Even as Carvin was closing shop, I called them at least twice to try to get them to make me one. VT16 were few and far between.

Also, at the same time, In the last few years, I also decided try to steer away from my RP350 and to dive head-first into pedals with a large Pedaltrain pedal board, two power supplies, and, like, 15 pedals acquired over the last 3 years.

However, in the last few months, I've reflected and come to terms with why and how I play guitar... and i realized certain things inspire me to play, and others don't. For the last month, I've been watching hours and hours of videos on the Line 6 Helix Floor and the Eleven Headrush Pedalboard.

I got a 15% Guitar Center coupon, and i found out that with the purchase of the Helix that i could also then get the DAW plug-in/desktop software for $99 bucks for only the next few days (normally $399)... so I bought one. I haven't even opened it yet.

It's now 17 hours later. After making the big first step in the hard decision to completely revamp my rig... and a like-new VT16 shows up on Craigslist, 20 minutes away.

giphy-1.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Treadplatedual » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:43 pm

For recording, noodling and plug n play nothing beats something like the helix.

If all you ever want is that one perfect tone, then the whole amp plus pedal board setup will get you there, whereas the helix will get you 99% there for way less overall :)
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

SilkyHotLicks
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby SilkyHotLicks » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:29 pm

Since I'm not allowed to change my mind and delete a posting that does not advance musical dialog I can at least change what the posting says.
Last edited by SilkyHotLicks on Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:28 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:
canon_mutant wrote:Do they weight relieve the SBC? Of course, the particular chunk of walnut matters and my TL is a neck thru but it is a back breaker. Now, I love the guitar, love the new SD pups on it too BTW, and play it all the time but . . . nearly 14 lbs. Bevel will help relieve some of that I guess?

14 pounds on a TL60?! Must've had some depleted uranium in stock.

Yeah, think that was an option 10-12 years ago. :think:

Actually just a big ass hunka-hunka burnin walnut with the claro top.

I have SD Zebras in her now. PG Trembucker with a Jazz neck. Finally lost a S22 and decided to try something new. Glad I did. Don't know if it woke the ole girl up or just me . . . could be just the latter!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:12 am

canon_mutant wrote:my TL is [...] nearly 14 lbs.

UnexplodedCow wrote:14 pounds on a TL60?! Must've had some depleted uranium in stock.

canon_mutant wrote:Yeah, think that was an option 10-12 years ago. :think:

I wonder if it was an Option 92? Get it? 92? Uranium's atomic number? :laughhard:

Oh, geez...I kill me sometimes.
Last edited by spudmunkey on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:24 pm

Very beautiful guitar. Definitely a keeper, even if she's a fatty. My best is around 12 pounds currently, thanks to a tungsten sustain block. Nice piece of ash, though.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Treadplatedual » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:33 am

spudmunkey wrote:I do...I wish my car came in a blue option. For thei particular hypothetical build, i've got a very specific blue tone in mind to work with the walnut, which I'm not sure the more "green-y" blue of the Pearl Blue would do as well.

Try Duplicolor Ford Sonic Blue - it's darn close to what you're looking for, but has a crazy amount of depth in the sunlight.
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:41 pm

Just put a Hail Mary offer on a Carvin bass. If they bite, it's over 75% off what it would have cost new. I'm not optimistic, though, but still excited.

Return to The Backstage Lounge