Are Tube Amps History?

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Are Tube Amps History?

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:48 pm

DesmoBob wrote:
UnexplodedCow wrote:However, I'm not giving up my heavy amps anytime soon...and will just use 'em for weight lifting practice if nothing else.

Well... amps, and Ford CVH engines. :wink:

Hah! Yes, those, too. Maybe one day I'll bench press a V8 or something, if it were all aluminum.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:11 pm

hallwayminstrel wrote:
MatiasTolkki wrote:I think the end of Tube amps SHOULD come sooner rather than later, just because of the weight and expenses involved with them.

My V3M weighs 19lbs. A full retube, top-to-bottom, costs less than $100. Lasts for years. Just sayin' :wink:

Even a full-size head with tons of glass in it should only weigh about 40-50 pounds. If that's enough to make someone think twice, it's time to revoke their man card.

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:15 pm

Cynical wrote:
hallwayminstrel wrote:
MatiasTolkki wrote:I think the end of Tube amps SHOULD come sooner rather than later, just because of the weight and expenses involved with them.

My V3M weighs 19lbs. A full retube, top-to-bottom, costs less than $100. Lasts for years. Just sayin' :wink:

Even a full-size head with tons of glass in it should only weigh about 40-50 pounds. If that's enough to make someone think twice, it's time to revoke their man card.

I have an outlier of an amp. 1989 Jackson JG2. 50 watt single channel, all tube amp. 4x 12ax7 and 2x el34. Massive iron. The power transformer is larger than what those ultra linear twin reverbs use. The output transformer is basically the same size as a Marshall JMP50. What really sets the amp apart is the double later (total 1.5" thick) MDF headshell. Fully assembled, the amp head weighs 72 pounds by my scale. I used to gig that with an Acoustic Model 405 half stack, which was around 150 pounds. I used to load the cab in a Ford Tempo back seat, and the head in the trunk. The cabinet only had one handle, which is nornal for them. Downside was that it had no casters for a while, so carrying the speaker in one arm, and the head in the other was fun. Almost as bad as having to move an 8x10 bass cab without wheels. The one I had was 240ish pounds. Try hauling that up a flight of stairs on your ;)

I will say that I enjoy the light weight stuff these days. V3m and Legacy 3 are both very light for their power, plus they sound great. If more are never made, I think the amps will be remembered as forward thinking, at least.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Return to Other Gear