Bolt kits with hipshot trem?

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Treadplatedual
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bolt kits with hipshot trem?

Postby Treadplatedual » Fri May 25, 2018 7:48 am

Is this an option? Since kiesel has almost entirely stopped using Wilkies, it makes sense to me, but it's likely a different route.

The builder still says Wilkinson, but the builder isn't always updated as options change :D
Last edited by Treadplatedual on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 CS3 - Berylliums *IN THE OVEN*
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s
2017 A6H - Lithiums

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Bolt kits with hips hot trem?

Postby spudmunkey » Fri May 25, 2018 8:08 am

Currently the Hipshot bridges are not an option on the Bolt model or kits. When it's come up on the Facebook Live Q&A videos, the answer is " no plans", but also, "If Greg Howe would want it we'd also do it, but he likes the Vintage trem that's available on his signature models." (not a direct quote)

I can't say for certain, but one consideration might be that the notch on the pickguard might not be sized well for the Hipshot trem. The part that extends "into" the pickguard of that bridge is at least shaped differently from the Wilky or Vintage trems, so it's possible they might not want to use that trem on that model without a bespoke pickguard design, like what the "C" model has with the Floyd Rose (which has a wider notch, and those two screws next to it spread out a little bit further, on the pickguard). Honestly, that theory is the only reason why I can think of not offering it on that model if they do believe it's a superior unit. Or, perhaps the Floyd-equipped model hasn't proven itself to be popular enough so they didn't want to bother with the investment to add another trem if the vast majority of folks pick the other bridges over the Floyd. :think:

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Bolt kits with hips hot trem?

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:14 am

I don't know why it's not universally offered. Maybe they have old stock to use up?

Order a kit with Wilkinson route, chuck the wilki, and buy a 3rd party Contour. It'll drop in, minus shimming the studs 2.5mm higher, and having about .5mm of something (I used some glue and receipt paper) around the studs to make them snug. The string spacing works fine, and the route fits well enough, though it won't allow for much pull up with the later routes (not that they did much with the Wilki, either).

For what it's worth, I think around 2005, the neck dimensions changed, and narrowed slightly, as all my 2004 and older models have wider necks, and can handle a VS100 wilkinson, which is a little too wide for the 2005 years I've used. The Contour has a narrower spacing, like an import Strat, and fits fine.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Treadplatedual
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Bolt kits with hipshot trem?

Postby Treadplatedual » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:30 am

Makes sense - they probably still have a couple thousand wilkies lying around haha.
2018 CS3 - Berylliums *IN THE OVEN*
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s
2017 A6H - Lithiums

Return to Builder's Forum