Pickup Mounting Ring Height

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

microzyma

Pickup Mounting Ring Height

Postby microzyma » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:10 pm

My SC90 has two short pickup mounting rings for front and back pickups. I am going to install a PAF repro and am wondering if I should buy the same height rings for the new pickup. Reason I ask is that I noticed Les Pauls use a tall one for the bridge pickup. Thanks!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Pickup Mounting Ring Height

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:16 pm

I imagine Les Pauls use a tall one for the bridge pickup because the neck is angled back, and the bridge is so tall.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:57 am

^^^
|||
Bingo. I'd imagine the SC is a pretty straight neck versus the body, so there's no need to push the pup way up off the body to get within striking distance of string vibes.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

aoresteen

Postby aoresteen » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:38 pm

As a general practice I find it's best to use the pickup bezels originally supplied with the guitar. They will be the proper height.

I've installed a couple hundred humbuckers over the years and have had only a few problems. If a particular humbucker won't fit the original bezel, measure it with digital calipers and contact the pickup mfg for a bezel of the same height. You might have to modify one to get a proper fit.

I just dropped a set of Kiesel KL12N & NL12N pickups into a 2001 Squier Stagemaster Deluxe neck-thru. I used the original bezels but had to drill out the pickup mounting screw holes to 0.125" for the Kiesel screws to fit. I ordered the pickups for this application and Kiesel tapped the center pickup mounting holes for me.

Return to Tech Talk