Hard Cases

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Hard Cases

Postby X1Glider » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:52 am

DesmoBob wrote:
Naked Ape wrote:
X1Glider wrote:Agreed. I say the same thing about ill-fitting $800 motorcycle helmets. It will not protect well if it doesn't fit properly. Yet people will buy an Arai or Shoei even if it doesn't fit their head shape. As such, I'd been using HJC and Scorpions in recent years because they do fit me properly.

:hijack:
Your analogy might go right over peoples heads. :lol: :roll:
Sorry. :oops:
I wore Shoei's for years, then they went to a more 'round head' shape.
Been Arai's ever since, with their 'Round/Oval' shape. Perfect!!
Getting ready for another new one. Sucks that it will cost almost as much as a really nice guitar. If only they retained some resale value. Just wall hangers once retired. :wall:

********** Back to Hardshell cases ***********

Same here. Former Shoei, now Arai.
BTW, I am literally still breathing today because my previous Arai did its job.

Glad you're still with us.

That's all been my reason for switching too. Shoei and Arai can't seem to be consistent year from year in their headshapes. Shoeis have never fit me right and the last Arai Quantum I had changed the next time I needed one. It pretty much sat right up against my face making it hard to breathe without fogging in 100 deg heat even and it would likely immediately transfer any force directly to my chin and nose. The HJC and Scorpion gave me face clearance and actually cradled around my skull very nicely.

Now if only the cases Kiesel provides fit that well like they did 20+ years ago, there would be no need to replace them with an aftermarket one.

A-Ro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby A-Ro » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:51 am

I’d like to see a partenership with Mono (specifically the Vertigo)! That’s a case/gig bag I’d choose every time if given the option. I personally don’t like the hard cases Kiesel has been using anyway.
Last edited by A-Ro on Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:52 pm

An odd decision, but then again I don't always get what comes down from the top around here so it's no big deal.
Is it that difficult to offer both types of cases? Apparently so. Maybe they just don't see enough these days.

The soft case is fine. They take up more room for storage. But they travel just fine - I got one w/ my SCB6 and picked up a tweed Carvin case online. The soft case gets used for any guitar when I'm out and about.
I don't personally store any expensive guitars in gig bags (except for my V7), just the way I way raised I guess.
There's plenty of guys out there selling good cases - I'm not going to worry about it.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:14 pm

For what it's worth, some PRS models including the Silver Sky, at $2200, only come with a soft case.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:45 pm

spudmunkey wrote:For what it's worth, some PRS models including the Silver Sky, at $2200, only come with a soft case.

my prs came with a case, so get off of my lawn!
:laughhard:
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

slayer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby slayer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Right when I thought it couldn`t get any weirder after som many great model discontinuations and then changing the DC body styling and now no hard cases. I would never buy a new high quality guitar with a gig bag. I only buy them with hard cases. I`ve bought a lot of Carvins and all have hard cases. They may want to think this move.
Bring Back the "ST" Body!!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:50 pm

slayer wrote:They may want to think this move.

I have to assume they will with enough feedback (like how they came out with the option for a bevel delete and 22-fret Aries), and especially if it affects sales.

ghostryder

Postby ghostryder » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:12 am

Check out the case that comes with a $999 American Strat. Kiesel needs to get their act together!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUI2OmuOOQU&t=333s

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:29 am

Didn't watch the video but if that's the certified flight case that comes with the American Teles, it's awesome.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

ZooHead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ZooHead » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:42 am

My Elite Strat came with that case. Its a great case, and I like it better than any other case I've seen.
Probably from Gator or SKB I would think.

Samwise

Postby Samwise » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:00 pm

My Ibanez hard case came with a guitar, but my Schecter brown cardboard box also came with a guitar. My point, well, a case is a case is a softcase, unless of course said case is provided by Schecter then said case is a cardboard box.

I order a box for the guitar and not the other way around, perhaps you guys should also, just a thought and an opinion.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:16 pm

I like the tweed cases, honestly. However, I will take closed-cell (black, normally) foam and fit the case for the guitar. It's not reactive with the finish, so I'm not worried about that, but I do it because, yes, the guitar is otherwise free to knock headstock with the end of the case.

I like the soft case because, yeah, it protects, and uses the exact type of foam I form-fit cases to guitars for. It's great stuff. Mine has held up well. One snaggle has been a single zipper piece disappeared almost immediately from the case. The zipper still works, but has a rough spot. Never has come loose on me, though. The backpack straps make carrying my V6 so much easier, especially with amp and effects in either hand.

As for locks: if anyone has ever had an inquisitive baby who loved playing with guitars, you'll quickly realize how effective they are at keeping a baby safe, and an honest man on the honest path, and nothing more. It's another "end of an era," and, while I like them, we'll see what the future holds, though I honestly don't think a soft case will last 40 years the way I've seen many a G&G case last.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:07 am

What is everyone preference, when it comes to hard cases? I have to say I *like* the Gibson Les Paul style silhouette/hourglass case better than the flight case style (like my vintage Carvin case above,), but when moving quickly around, or when I know the axe is in the shipping bay in transit being handled by meatheads, I feel more secure with the long rectangle.

Which doesn't necessarily make sense because the Fender style case, if not a heavy duty "certified" level of construction, has longer, wider, flat surfaces which seem to be more vulnerable to caving in under heavy weight.

For short hauls to and fro gigs jams and rehearsals, Gibson style all the way (if soft cases are not an option). Over the years, the only times I used my actual Carvin case to move the old DC around was when I first got it. I quickly grabbed a soft case, which is why the thing is in pretty decent shape for a 33 yr old.

But, preferences between the two?

Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:36 pm

I like the 'Gibson styled' ones. Waayy better for packing.

When we're touring or gigging, that's what I use. For practices I usually use the soft cases.

slayer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby slayer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:37 am

I like the Gibson style for LP styled guitars but for larger bodies like DC style and larger I prefer the rectangular cases. I like quality Tolex cases.
Bring Back the "ST" Body!!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:57 am

guitar-shaped cases: most efficient use of space. When trying to fit a bunch of stuff in a car, or in an airplane overhead compartment, you can pack other stuff in the areas that would have been taken up by a rectangular case.

Rectangular cases: more efficient for stacking lots of them, as it doesn't matter which way you turn it, it can lay flat and stack without falling over.

Cases with arched tops: I have to assume that they would protect better from something getting put on them or something falling on the case's "face", but they also don't stack well, so if you've got two on top of each other, they are more likly to topple, and ALL of the weight is on the peak of that arch rather that being distributed, and then also that arch's peak is pushing on the back of the other case. My Taylor cases is like this, and it doesn't stack well.
Last edited by spudmunkey on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Treadplatedual » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:52 am

Having had both G&G and their soft cases, I really prefer the soft case for day to day use, protection (fits my SH6 snugly, and there is a TON of padding in there, comparable to the mega-expensive gator soft cases) and moving from gig to gig.

There is something to be said about opening a nice big rectangular guitar case though...it just feels better than unzipping nylon.

Maybe they'll find another, better supplier than G&G?

Also, anyone outright discounting the kiesel ultimate soft cases without having used one, you may want to check your understanding, these aren't cheap, nor cheaply made, nor thin and flimsy like a lot of "gig bags" are.
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby amispy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:08 am

I have the Carvin / Kiesel hard cases from the 80's, 90's, and 2000's. I prefer their current gig bags. As others have said, these are not cheap and flimsy gig bags. These are very padded. I like them because they're light weight, protect the instrument well, take up less room in my SUV than the rectangle hard cases, and I can throw it over my should to carry in more gear at one time.

I have the guitar-shaped Les Paul and Carvin hard cases. They also take up less space than the rectangular hard cases. But again, I can't sling 'em over my shoulder.

I wish Kiesel would still offer both options (hard and soft cases), even though I only buy the soft cases now.
'86 DC200, '87 V220T, '90 LB75, '96 AE185, '05 C750T, '07 V220M, '14 V59K, '14 DC7X x2, '15 PB5, '17 A6H, '17 AB5, '17 V59K, '17 KV6X, '18 JH6, '18 A6H

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby amispy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:09 am

amispy wrote:I have the Carvin / Kiesel hard cases from the 80's, 90's, and 2000's. I prefer their current gig bags. As others have said, these are not cheap and flimsy gig bags. These are very padded. I like them because they're light weight, protect the instrument well, take up less room in my SUV than the rectangle hard cases, and I can throw them over my should to carry in more gear at one time.

I have the guitar-shaped Les Paul and Carvin hard cases too. They also take up less space than the rectangular hard cases but I can't sling 'em over my shoulder.

I wish Kiesel would still offer both options (hard and soft cases), even though I only buy the soft cases now.
'86 DC200, '87 V220T, '90 LB75, '96 AE185, '05 C750T, '07 V220M, '14 V59K, '14 DC7X x2, '15 PB5, '17 A6H, '17 AB5, '17 V59K, '17 KV6X, '18 JH6, '18 A6H

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:40 am

Doctor Turn wrote:What is everyone preference, when it comes to hard cases? I have to say I *like* the Gibson Les Paul style silhouette/hourglass case better than the flight case style (like my vintage Carvin case above,), but when moving quickly around, or when I know the axe is in the shipping bay in transit being handled by meatheads, I feel more secure with the long rectangle

I like that Telefunken sticker Doc, that's very cool

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars