NGD: Schecter USA Custom Shop Wembley

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

NGD: Schecter USA Custom Shop Wembley

Postby GuitFiddle » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:09 am

Buying a brand new heavily discounted boutique S-type guitar for less than an American Strat? Priceless. Can't WAIT to get my hands on this one.

American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: NGD: Schecter USA Custom Shop Wembley

Postby GuitFiddle » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:13 am

So I know it's just another vintage-inspired Strat, but geez, nothing more than a collective shrug? Has anyone here played a USA Schecter before? They've been consistently making some of the finest electric guitars one can buy for 40 years now and absolutely every one I've ever played has been stellar. Tom Anderson got his start there and they currently employ three of the best luthiers in the industry. But hey, keep thinking of them as import metalhead guitars...more for me!
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:47 am

Needs more rad!!! :P :twisted: :mrgreen:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:37 am

GuitFiddle wrote:So I know it's just another vintage-inspired Strat, but geez, nothing more than a collective shrug? Has anyone here played a USA Schecter before? They've been consistently making some of the finest electric guitars one can buy for 40 years now and absolutely every one I've ever played has been stellar. Tom Anderson got his start there and they currently employ three of the best luthiers in the industry. But hey, keep thinking of them as import metalhead guitars...more for me!

Hey hey hey, don't knock their import shredders, they're pretty sweet
I love some of the Schecter USA stuff, and if I wanted to drop cash on a bigger-brand custom shop, it would be them, no question. They did some swirl-paint 80s superstrats not super long ago iirc that I loved. I really dig the finish on this one.

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:44 am

wickid wrote:
Needs more rad!!! :P :twisted: :mrgreen:

If only my Photoshop skills were better, this sucker would be headless, beveled, and in baboon-butt burst with a burl venuswood top! :twisted:
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:55 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
GuitFiddle wrote:So I know it's just another vintage-inspired Strat, but geez, nothing more than a collective shrug? Has anyone here played a USA Schecter before? They've been consistently making some of the finest electric guitars one can buy for 40 years now and absolutely every one I've ever played has been stellar. Tom Anderson got his start there and they currently employ three of the best luthiers in the industry. But hey, keep thinking of them as import metalhead guitars...more for me!

Hey hey hey, don't knock their import shredders, they're pretty sweet
I love some of the Schecter USA stuff, and if I wanted to drop cash on a bigger-brand custom shop, it would be them, no question. They did some swirl-paint 80s superstrats not super long ago iirc that I loved. I really dig the finish on this one.

Yep...I have one, a Blackjack ATX C-1 FR, this one:

Admittedly this one doesn't get much play time (I'm a big-bender rather than a trem user and don't play a lot of math metal anymore like I used to). If I'm honest its heavy and pretty dead-sounding acoustically, but the quality is excellent and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use it live, the thing is rock-solid and sounds great plugged in. For all I know it might just need new strings, for guitars not in my regular rotation I am the Great Neglec-tor. :?

The Wembley got me researching and thinking, and I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a Solo II Classic. Basically a stellar LP-style guitar made in their custom shop that STILL costs 10% less than a new hit-and-miss LP Standard. Absolute no-brainer in my book.
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:04 pm

I've wanted to try a Schecter USA model, but haven't come across them in stores, or in people's hands. I've come across so many Diamond Series models, though, and owned a C1 E/A myself (which was a fabulous guitar).

I don't think of them as a metalhead's piece; yeah, they can do it, but they can do other genres just as well. Great budget guitars.

Maybe post up a video or some audio clips of it being played? I'd love to hear one.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:40 am

Man, I really want to do that. I just have to get my sorry butt out of the stone-age multi-track days and figure out what I need to start doing some recording without spending a zillion dollars, especially since the urge has been striking again lately and I want to start tracking some complete songs again. I feel dumb as a stump when it comes to that stuff, last time I recorded it was on an 8-track Boss thing that was way too complicated and just aggravated me. Since I can go direct with everything I own, I *think* I just need an interface and some multi-tracking software...but again, me so st00pid about this stuff.
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:54 am

GuitFiddle wrote:Man, I really want to do that. I just have to get my sorry butt out of the stone-age multi-track days and figure out what I need to start doing some recording without spending a zillion dollars, especially since the urge has been striking again lately and I want to start tracking some complete songs again. I feel dumb as a stump when it comes to that stuff, last time I recorded it was on an 8-track Boss thing that was way too complicated and just aggravated me. Since I can go direct with everything I own, I *think* I just need an interface and some multi-tracking software...but again, me so st00pid about this stuff.

The go-to starter interface seems to be the lower-priced Scarlet series from Focusrite. I think their lowest priced one is the Solo for about $100. After that, you could start with Audacity, which is basically the Windows Paint for multi-track audio. it's crap, but it's simple. After that, you could try something like Reaper which has a 30 or 60-day free trial period (don't remember which) and then I think it's only like $60 to buy for non-professional use.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:30 am

I'd recommend stepping up to the Scarlett 2i4 if you want to do guitar recordings; the -10db pad is a necessity, since hot pickups will clip the input without it.

Note that even though Reaper is only "free" to use for 30 days, if you don't buy it, it just nags at you; you can still use it just fine.

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:17 pm

Spud and Cynical - that is actually a HUGE help to me, thank you! I'll be ordering some stuff very soon I suspect. As far as Reaper, I'll happily pay for it. I'm software developer by trade so I'm on board with paying the creators for a good product.
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:31 pm

Cynical wrote:Note that even though Reaper is only "free" to use for 30 days, if you don't buy it, it just nags at you; you can still use it just fine.

I used Paint Shop Pro 3.0 freeware, that I initially got on a copied floppy disk, for well over 15 years. It had a 30-day trial period, and after 30, they would just keep reminding you, tell you "You are on day 117 of your 30 day trial period." On one computer, I passed 3000 days of that 30 day trial period. But it never stopped working. :laughhard:

i only stopped using it because I no longer had a computer that could run it.

An amusing note: the pop up warning about the 30-day trial did include the information on how to purchase it. You'd either call the 1-800 number, or you could mail them a check to a PO box. That was it. :lol:
Last edited by spudmunkey on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:09 am

GuitFiddle wrote:Man, I really want to do that. I just have to get my sorry butt out of the stone-age multi-track days and figure out what I need to start doing some recording without spending a zillion dollars, especially since the urge has been striking again lately and I want to start tracking some complete songs again. I feel dumb as a stump when it comes to that stuff, last time I recorded it was on an 8-track Boss thing that was way too complicated and just aggravated me. Since I can go direct with everything I own, I *think* I just need an interface and some multi-tracking software...but again, me so st00pid about this stuff.

I'd suggest going with an Allen & Heath Zedi 10 (or the effects model) as that has a 4x4 input/output over USB, and basically acts as a soundcard/mixer all in one. I had a Scarlett 2i2 and found the A&H to have better quality. For a totally free software, there's Audacity, which is often panned, and kind of cludgy. Reaper has quickly become one of the major players in the past couple years. It's free, but nags after 30 days if memory serves, but still can be used. The price isn't terrible.

On the other hand, if you find something like a DP24 multi-tracker, that can also serve as all the above, and has a USB interface, on top of burning discs or storing to an SD card. I was gifted one of those, but haven't found the time to sit down and play with it....looks like a well-designed piece, though.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:41 am

GuitFiddle wrote:Buying a brand new heavily discounted boutique S-type guitar for less than an American Strat? Priceless. Can't WAIT to get my hands on this one.

That's really nice!

Schecter makes some great stuff.
I really like my wife's Schecter.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:43 am

I'll second all the Reaper recommendations, it's like $60 for personal use and decently intuitive as DAWs go.

Sparky131
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Sparky131 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:54 am

Nice guitar! Schecter's been really catching my eye lately. The E-1 is really speaking to my explorer love and I'm starting to GAS for one.
Guitars:
1992 DC127
2016 DC127
1993 Ibanez SR890

Amps:
Jet City JCA22H
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC112 Cab

slayer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby slayer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:41 am

The Schecter Korea stuff is very nice. I`ve always wanted to try one of their USA models. Congrats Sir!!
Bring Back the "ST" Body!!

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:54 pm

Thanks...I'm enjoying this one for sure. It's definitely not like a modern Strat, all burpy and poppy and plucky and peaky and stuff. This one is a smooth operator with a vintage voice, it's sweeter and smoother but still has plenty of unmistakable Strat character. It reminds me a lot of my buddy's '58 Strat tonally. It wants to be sweet although you can still wrestle it into giving up the Texas blues if you lean on it, but you need to put some mustard into it. Volume and tone controls are pretty much all the tone shaping you need at any point. I'm still contemplating another USA build.
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

Return to Other Gear