Merry Kieselmas to all

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Merry Kieselmas to all

Postby Casual Madman » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:05 am

Xmas Angel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Merry Kieselmas to all

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:35 pm

Merry Christmas to everyone! No guitar gear for me, but that's ok. I've spent enough money on that this year. What did everyone get this year?
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:18 am

2Plus2isChicken wrote:Merry Christmas to everyone! No guitar gear for me, but that's ok. I've spent enough money on that this year. What did everyone get this year?

My wife gave me chocolates, slippers, and some tea; full-on old-man stuff.

My personal gift was taking some time off work, and fixing up one of my late father's amps that has never worked in my lifetime; until about a week ago. It's a little '67 Gibson GA-5T. Took some doing, and some of the original parts were either missing, or turned to dust, but it's nice to have back.

We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:37 am

Merry Christmas!

And I remember my brother having that same Gibson amp ages ago... :shock:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:45 am

They're a very fun little amp, and an exceedingly odd circuit, but I'm developing a thing for old tube-filled Gibsons.

I also recently received a project in the form of a Carvin TS100 with arcing power tube socket, and hope to have it running around the new year, once a new socket arrives.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:53 pm

Merry xmas
Happy holidays
And a
Happy new year filled with more guitars and music.
:mrgreen:
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:06 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:
2Plus2isChicken wrote:Merry Christmas to everyone! No guitar gear for me, but that's ok. I've spent enough money on that this year. What did everyone get this year?

My wife gave me chocolates, slippers, and some tea; full-on old-man stuff.

My personal gift was taking some time off work, and fixing up one of my late father's amps that has never worked in my lifetime; until about a week ago. It's a little '67 Gibson GA-5T. Took some doing, and some of the original parts were either missing, or turned to dust, but it's nice to have back.

What does it sound like? Does it make a good platform for pedals?
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:26 pm

I must've been good this year, got literally everything on my wish-list: cases for a Les Paul and a Strat, a looper, plus a hundred glow-in-the-dark picks with my name on them.

:mrgreen:

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:53 pm

Which looper did you get? That's cool about the picks. Where do you get those?

As for me, I've pretty much bought myself all the guitar stuff I got for Christmas (or around Christmas), so technically none of these are gifts I received, hence why I said I didn't get anything earlier. So far I've purchased:

-The GigRig G2 switching system
-The GigRig power supply system (Generator, Isolators, etc.) for my whole pedalboard
-A new pedalboard from NYC Pedalboards I'm getting in a few weeks
-Neunaber Immerse Mk. II Reverberator (awesome pedal)
-Mooer E-lady flanger (not received yet, but bought based on the price and internet opinion that it is awesome)
-Rockboard MOD 1 unit (for routing cables to and from the pedalboard; useful for placing the guitar input on the left side of the board since I'm one of those backwards players :mrgreen: )

Once the new pedalboard comes I'll be wiring it up with the G2 and my favorite pedals. I already got the G2. Awesome piece of equipment. I've been wanting one of these for a long time, and after some careful consideration of my budget I determined it was finally time to get it.

I did get some new shoes for Christmas, though, which I needed, and a ticket to one of those room escape puzzle things that are popular now. The whole family went and had a good time.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:24 pm

2Plus2isChicken wrote:Which looper did you get? That's cool about the picks. Where do you get those?

This is the looper - I've only fiddled around with it a little, but it seems to perform as advedrtised. Seems to be a knockoff of the TC Ditto, but with USB output-to-DAW capability added. Requires a 9V adapter, no battery. Also, it's TINY.

https://www.ammoon.com/p-i1995.html

The picks are coming by snailmail from Australia, via https://www.customguitarpicks.com.au/ - so I can't be 100% sure they are exactly right, but I'll update once received. The mockup looks like this:

mockup.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:39 pm

2Plus2isChicken wrote:What does it sound like? Does it make a good platform for pedals?

It's in the vein of a Champ. Has a single 6EU7, 6C4, and two EL84 tubes. It's clean, and just gets some grunge around 8 to 10, when hit with Fluence Moderns. It's pretty bright (Gibsons typically are).

Half the 6EU7 is a gain stage, and the other is the tremolo oscillator. The 6C4 (basically half of a 12AU7) is a driver tube, which pushes an interstage transformer that is wired as a phase inverter, so there is plenty of drive to the power tubes.

The bass and treble are plenty effective, but the speaker is a 10". The original would've been a Jensen AlNiCo type. I installed an Eminence Lil Buddy (50W hemp cone).

The amp is clean and loud. I haven't tried it out with anything more than a Proco Solo, which is a Rat with a mid cutting control and staggered clipping diodes. Great pedal that people mostly avoid. The amp took that pedal just fine, and had kind of a ZZ Top sound at high gain. The overall amp circuit is kind of a Champ with some EQ and tremolo. One guy who played it over the holiday said it pretty much sounded the same.

Gibson made some cool amps. The downsides are mainly needing an EQ tweak to work with anything other than a muddy humbucker, and the layouts are extremely messy, and the AC heaters aren't twisted, or even kept away from signal wires. They are often plagued by hum as a result. But, fix those issues, and the designs are sound. They're usually cathode biased, and in the 12 to 15 watt area from most tube types I've seen. If you find a Tweed, get it.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:58 pm

The picks are... PERFECT.
glowpicks.jpg

Return to The Backstage Lounge