Any chance of Hipshot/Kiesel tremolo available on a Bolt?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Tony PD

Any chance of Hipshot/Kiesel tremolo available on a Bolt?

Postby Tony PD » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:09 pm

Now that the Wilkinson tremolo has been relegated to the dustbin of history, is there any chance the Hipshot/Kiesel tremolo would be available on the Bolt Classic? Right now the only tremolo options are Vintage and Floyd Rose.

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Any chance of Hipshot/Kiesel tremolo available on a Bolt?

Postby DannyB819 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:54 pm

e kāhea i kaʻu mau limahana

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:36 am

DannyB819 wrote:e kāhea i kaʻu mau limahana

I do not think they speak that in Queens NY.
that is pretty hoʻomākeʻaka :lol:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:01 am

Currently, no. It's not programmed, and my hunch is that it would take a bespoke pickguard (but I have no proof of that, and I've never even compared the measurements, so i could be way off base there...but the Floyd needs it's own pickguard with a wider notch than what fits around the Vintage and FT6.

Jeff's never said anything about my hunch, but he did say that it would likely take a signed artist (like Greg Howe, for example) to want it for it to happen.

killa j
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby killa j » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:42 pm

Pretty frustrating, especially on the lefty side. We get Floyd Rose or hardtail now. I don’t really see why it would take any different programming than the Wilky had (unless the Kiesel Hipshot has different spacing from the Hipshot Contour). The Wilkinson and Hipshot Contour both work as a direct replacement for the Fender American tremolo, so it would seem that the Hipshot would work with the same routing as the Wilkinson. Who knows, but it’s definitely kept me from ordering another Bolt. I want a tremolo, but not a Floyd.

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:35 pm

IIRC the standard Contour should be a drop-in replacement for a standard 2-point trem (Fender, Wilkinson, Gotoh, and presumably the Kiesel vintage trem) with no pickguard surgery required. As far as I can tell Kiesel tends to recess the Hipshot trem, but that's not really necessary.

ioneater
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ioneater » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:46 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:IIRC the standard Contour should be a drop-in replacement for a standard 2-point trem (Fender, Wilkinson, Gotoh, and presumably the Kiesel vintage trem) with no pickguard surgery required. As far as I can tell Kiesel tends to recess the Hipshot trem, but that's not really necessary.

Yes, the Contour can be fitted as a replacement for the Carvin/Kiesel wilky. The trem posts have to be swapped, and some wood trimmed from the route pocket for trem block clearance in a dive. Mine is a 1998 model Bolt, not sure if anything in the route has changed since then. Unexploded Cow has done the swap on his Bolt as well.

OotMagroot
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby OotMagroot » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:07 pm

I installed a Hipshot Contour on my Strat. The post size and placement are the same. They would just have to program a route so you could uptrem.

I did have to cut a notch in the pickguard on the corner of the pickguard directly under trem so it would not hamper trem movement.

I guess it's entirely possible they might have to do the same with their pickguard, but that would be extremely simple for them to either sand that corner off or create a jig to cut it off, cleanly. Heck, Hipshot might have updated the trem since that time where you don't have to do that anymore on any Strat (this WAS a few years ago).

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:21 am

ioneater wrote:
HarlowTheFish wrote:IIRC the standard Contour should be a drop-in replacement for a standard 2-point trem (Fender, Wilkinson, Gotoh, and presumably the Kiesel vintage trem) with no pickguard surgery required. As far as I can tell Kiesel tends to recess the Hipshot trem, but that's not really necessary.

Yes, the Contour can be fitted as a replacement for the Carvin/Kiesel wilky. The trem posts have to be swapped, and some wood trimmed from the route pocket for trem block clearance in a dive. Mine is a 1998 model Bolt, not sure if anything in the route has changed since then. Unexploded Cow has done the swap on his Bolt as well.

I've done the swap on a DC135T, but my bolt has a Floyd, and no pickguard.

The Hipshot vibrato would otherwise fit, as it drops in with a Wilki, and depending on the route, it won't need much. The only trimming I can see being needed is around the part where the arm would stick in, and perhaps at the rear of the top plate, to allow for more pull-up range.

I think it'll eventually happen, and that Kiesel is simply using up the remainder of wilkinson stock. Still, the Contour can drop in with that option, and minimal changes done. It works well. The other choice, that uses slightly wider string spacing (and may or may not be someone's cup of tea) is a Gotoh 510 series. Some models have a similar look to the contour, and use a zinc block that has a non-binding break angle block, and puts the force directly on the saddle, and not anywhere else. It won't flutter like a Contour (less mass), but it sounds good, and is very stable.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

ioneater
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ioneater » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:00 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:
ioneater wrote:

I've done the swap on a DC135T, but my bolt has a Floyd, and no pickguard.

Whoops, sorry UXC. I would have sworn you did it to a Bolt! Pretty sure I used a thread of yours as a reference for my swap and it worked out well. Pulling the old post inserts made me a little nervous but they popped out very politely with the proper force applied to the claw hammer :applause:

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:22 pm

Hey, no problem. I'm glad it has worked out for you!

I wound up giving that 135 as a gift to the father-in-law, as he plays, and happened to be looking for a Strat-style guitar (with a "wiggle stick" as he calls it). He's learning how light of a touch it takes, but is amazed at how well it stays in tune, which is better than his LP. That guitar sure has some history to it now, but that Contour trem is seriously good. I was so excited to hear Kiesel switching to them.

Their headless version is no slouch, either. I've thoroughly enjoyed how stable things are, though a Floyd is still just a touch more stable, the headless setup is so close that I haven't picked up my Bolt+ in about a month.

Koshchei
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:57 am

Probably something they'll offer, since it'll mean having to stock fewer parts in inventory.

killa j
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby killa j » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:55 pm

Just based on how the new models are coming out and older ones are being phased out, I won’t be surprised if the Bolt goes the way of the dodo. I will be pretty sad though. If they offer the Hipshot tremolo, I plan on buying 2 Bolts.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:56 am

I dunno bout dat. It's such a core, central classic item. The Aries is just the Aries, but a good S type is such a basic essential, part of the USRDA of any big guitar line. There's nothing else that really takes its place.

Of course it get wasted tomorrow.. but I would think it would have been wiped out already. I think the CS and the Bolt are solid, because of the iconography.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:04 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:I dunno bout dat. It's such a core, central classic item. The Aries is just the Aries, but a good S type is such a basic essential, part of the USRDA of any big guitar line. There's nothing else that really takes its place.

Of course it get wasted tomorrow.. but I would think it would have been wiped out already. I think the CS and the Bolt are solid, because of the iconography.

Every time I see a 'Model Going Away' post I'm terrified that it will be the CS. But I have two now so I think I'm okay.
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:17 pm

Doctor Doug wrote:]

Every time I see a 'Model Going Away' post I'm terrified that it will be the CS. But I have two now so I think I'm okay.

I take comfort in the fact that while they discontinued the 3 variant of the CT, the CT3, they retained it on the CS line, noting that it sells pretty well.

Of course, I realized that by verbalizing this, that I will have jinxed it. Sorry about that.:lol:

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:25 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
Of course, I realized that by verbalizing this, that I will have jinxed it. Sorry about that.:lol:

I hope not! My chances of getting a third one are almost nil anyways. I still need a good semi hollow and an SCB.
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:56 pm

I knew it...I suspect the Bolt is not long for this earth.

Screenshot_20190121-165551_Facebook.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:15 am

Looks like a Strat to me. Essentially a name change?

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:42 am

Looks like it's a 24-fretter. Looks like it's pickguarded, more rounder horned "Stratty" shape, but with all the chugga chugga appointments (24 frets, multi-string options, multiscale, etc). And if it's a "new model," then it's likely a replacement for the Bolt.

RIP Carvin Bolt, 1997-2019.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars