New "Polarity" active pickups

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

New "Polarity" active pickups

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:43 pm

Screenshot_20190112-004234_Instagram.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New "Polarity" active pickups

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:08 pm

Color me interested. Wonder if they'll do multiscale versions and if they're splittable.

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:22 pm

I'm not a betting man, but I've got a hunch they'll be described at some point as "rad."

Zeus7

Postby Zeus7 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:45 am

Did they have some recent breakthrough in R&D? Because just 2 or 3 live Q&As ago Jeff stated very explicitly what he thought about active pickups (for guitar).

I assume these PUs are used in the coming Andy James signature guitar, too, or did Kiesel go really wild and will release a whole line of new active guitar pickups?

Very curious and always happy about more options as long as these don't erase the Fishman option from the configurator.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:26 am

Zeus7 wrote:Did they have some recent breakthrough in R&D? Because just 2 or 3 live Q&As ago Jeff stated very explicitly what he thought about active pickups (for guitar).

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I think he left some lingual wiggle room. Hes also said he really liked their A series actives.

Crud Bonemeal

Postby Crud Bonemeal » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:36 am

are these pups Andy James used to record his Shred Collab solo?

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:43 am

Crud Bonemeal wrote:are these pups Andy James used to record his Shred Collab solo?

I think so, all his pre-signature Kiesels have EMgs.

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:02 am

Not my thing, but glad Andy's happy. I much prefer Wes Thrailkill's tone from a set of Lithiums in a Vader: https://mammothprog.bandcamp.com/track/aware

ExDementia

Postby ExDementia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:05 am

Koshchei wrote:Not my thing, but glad Andy's happy. I much prefer Wes Thrailkill's tone from a set of Lithiums in a Vader: https://mammothprog.bandcamp.com/track/aware

I generally prefer passives as well, but to be fair, there is a whole lot else going into those two tones than the pickups. I'll reserve judgement until we get a solid demo/comparison.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:46 pm

I'm also a big fan of passives, but in the past year or two have started playing more actives, and don't regret it.

I love the ability to roll back volume without changing tone/dynamics, and being able to use a single channel amp very effectively, even when it's set to high gain, and have just a hint of breakup at ultra-low volume, and then roll it up for leads. Passive never gave me the same thing.

However, a good passive has its own thing going on, and I enjoy that, too, but I still lean toward a "hot" pickup.

One could easily have option paralysis from the sheer amount of choices these days. When I started playing, and without internet, the options were *extremely* limited locally, often to a "we don't stock it, and won't order it," option, leaving one to mail-order a set of Carvin pickups (and thus starting the sickness).
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars